- - - - -

You Want To Read This!

• Please log in to reply

32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DawterAod_*

Guest_DawterAod_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:10 AM

Pill to end all our troubles is closer than you think..

Click here!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:18 AM

Dare we hope??? :rolleyes:

I honestly believe a cure is on the way.....

Thanks for sharing!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 minivanmama0300

minivanmama0300

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

WOW!!!!!

Thanks for posting that. I guess I assumed that a pill or treatment would come from overseas since it is more widely understood there. I would bet that it would be at least 10-15 years after it is approved there before we would have approval for it here. Still, that is great news.

Jess

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for posting :D
I'm skeptical about having a pill to be able to eat gluten..it would be nice but how would it stop the damage and so forth. My body would still recognize gluten and then go to attacking my intestines. I hope they do come up with something and they has been so much progress being made.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:18 AM

Ending intestinal permeability does not stop my body from attacking the gluten. I think maybe it will end some of my food allergies, but not enough for me to be willing to take a pill every time I eat, or even just once a day, for something I can control by watching what I eat.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#6 phakephur

phakephur

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:08 AM

I'm ambivalent about the prospect of such a pill hitting the market. At present, celiacs who take their condition seriously accept the zero tolerance policy regarding gluten in their diet and thus present a united front to food manufacturers. I believe that the introduction of a drug to mitigate or eliminate symptoms of the disease will spit the celiac community into two camps - those who are willing to take a pill and those who are not. My fear is that the availability of a "cure" will diminish the availablility of gluten free products for people who don't want to take the drug.
Would everybody on this forum be willing to take this pill?
I might be willing to take it for travel or special eating out occasions, but probably not before every meal. I'd still like to have gluten-free options available.

Sarah

#7 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

I think that I most likely would not take it. I might take it for special occasions or cravings. I would need a golden guarantee that it was working, not just masking symptoms and still causing damage. Also, I would imagine that it would be very expensive (like most prescriptions). I would rather not spend extra money when Celiac disease can be controlled by eating the right foods.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

I think I saw a similar article about a month ago about the diabetes/celiac pill. I thought I posted it here?

I'm also skeptical...and I would not take that pill for a long, long time...until I found out that others weren't getting sick on it, that there were no terrible side effects found years later, and that damage wasn't being done. I now feel like I can control this, so I don't think a pill would be...necessary. Besides which, this is healthier...even if I'd rather be able to eat real pizza, etc.

Another thing that concerns me, though, is that companies will care less and less about providing good information about what's gluten-free and what isn't since the gluten-free diet would be...dropped by many celiacs. We're making strides towards better labeling :), but I'd hate for it to be reversed by this pill--because not all of us want to take risks.

#9 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

Well said, celiac3270. That's exactly what I was getting at.
Sarah

#10 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

That is an EXCELLENT point celiac3270..... I never thought of that......

Maybe the only way that wouldn't happen is if the pill doesn't come out on the market for 10 - 15 years, and by that time, proper labelling will be so widespread and mainstream that the manufacturers won't bother returning to the "old ways"...

Karen
Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#11 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

Yeah that would be a definate problem I think. I would not be taking the pill I know that. I would not do that for a long long time after they have it.

Just like people with allergies have epi pens...to stop the reaction...not to cure the allergy....I am very very skeptical of a pill somehow stopping damage to my intestines and would not risk damage to my body for gluten. I'm fine with what I eat now...and it's a much healthier way 2 :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#12 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:47 AM

Maybe it would be useful as a kind of "morning after" pill for accidents :huh: to minimize the effects of a gluten slip up.... that would be quite useful.....

Karen
Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

Maybe it would be useful as a kind of "morning after" pill for accidents :huh: to minimize the effects of a gluten slip up.... that would be quite useful.....

Karen

Yes--that's something we could all appreciate :D

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

Yeah something to help with accidental ingestions of gluten would be very much appreciated :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#15 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:23 PM

""There is no cure and sufferers can't eat foods that contain gluten, including pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, pastries, salad dressings and most sauces and condiments.

Professor Harrison said there was a good chance researchers will develop a treatment that allows people with coeliac disease and diabetes to give up their restrictive diets.

"The only real reservation is that it's only been tested in rats," Dr Anderson said

... Institute of Medical Research - its mission being ‘mastery of disease through discovery’ (the last phrase is from their own site) ""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. We CAN eat ALL the categories mentioned, which absolutely don't have to contain gluten.

2. This is NOT a restrictive diet. My hospital dietician complimented me on the way I have broadened what I eat compared with most people. Even from a certain commercial viewpoint but not from that of reality, even then "restrictive" seems to me obviously the wrong word. Who makes billions selling me a succulent spring cabbage each time I finish the last one? :P We help support economic and ecological diversity which, to believe what we hear from the authorities nowadays, are supposed to be very much in fashion.

3. Reservations experienced by people who actually are THERE - Doing it - WEARING the teeshirt as it were - are alleged by this person as not "real" evidently (if we have reservations).

4. "... through discovery" - it is to be hoped these good researchers will not overlook the discovery every one of us makes, every single day ... within our own lives and selves. We can tell it like it is, different for each of us, and we have viewpoints that are almost opposite to each other (a too two-dimensional metaphor). The balance however is that what we are doing about our condition is a positive thing - we stop and beef about it sometimes because that helps us gain a sense of proportion but it is not something everyone needs to wade in and put a stop to. It's better if they support us.

Perhaps "news stories" are like labels on cans and boxes, one needs to figure out how much (if anything) to read between the lines ...

As regards that small glimpse of substance one is allowed amidst the dervish-like rotation ...

My concrete reservation is: what they mention is permeability of the intestine but it's clear to me just from reading this forum let alone any other literature that that is by far not the only process going on in celiac disease and equivalent conditions.

It might be the case that it might be like the substance used by people with lactose intolerance, discussed by people last year in the "Teenagers Only" section of this forum (I admit I had a brief peep at it - it is 30 years today since I was a teenager) under a "poll" - apparently it doesn't take effect in time & doesn't have a very full effect.

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: