- - - - -

You Want To Read This!

• Please log in to reply

32 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

I believe there are already remedies that do this.

Anything to widen the choice of them is very good :D

But that doesn't justify all those exaggerated and unfounded allegations about what we are doing for ourselves.

M.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:48 PM

Ah! It might work quite well with some young children, however any of its possible benefits wil completely pass by the majority of people who have untypical celiac disease symptoms - in the UK the figure being talked of now is about 1 person in 30 - because they will not be recognised as people to give the pill to.

Surely the gluten-free way of life will continue to be the mainstay of recovery for large numbers of people.

M.

(too much replying - sorry) :D

#18 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:07 PM

For some reason all this stuff really pisses me off. (A pill to help the pain of accidental injest would be good) Am I the only one? Our diet isn't too hard or even that restrictive and almost all of us follow it and are happy and healthy. Why spend all this money on a pill that they are testing on RATS who DO NOT even get this disease? This is an Aussie one but there are others.

I am happy not eating gluten.

I am just stating my saddness at all of this and not picking on anyone who would like the pill.

#19 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:58 PM

I am happy with not eating gluten as well :D

It would be cool if they made a pill to help with accidental gluten intake but I don't like the idea of popping a pill and all the problems are gone...I just don't buy it at this point.

I understand exactly where you are coming from Kristina
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#20 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:18 PM

I agree...and completely understand where you're coming from, Kristina.

#21 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:49 PM

Even if the pill would work 100%. It doesn't matter. I think, if you say: 'Oh, I would only take this pill, if I know 100% that it's safe.' than this is just the wrong attitude. Safe or not safe. In case of intentionally eating glutenfood I wouldn't take it at all. Because I might as well not eat gluten containing food. OK, when you have a pill for accidentaly ingesting gluten and take it afterwards. That's a whole other story. But beforehand and eat gluten containing food on purpose? No way. It's about how you handle your body and health. If there's a problem, just pop a pill and get rid of it? That's not how it should be. A pill should always be the last possible solution and if there is no other way. And in our case mostly there is another way. Don't eat gluten!
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#22 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

i probably would stay gluten-free just out of sheer paranoia haha but still it would be cool if you could just take a pill before awkward social situations like a business lunch or a wedding etc. so you didn't have to explain and worry about the food!
gXf since november 1998

#23 Guest_DawterAod_*

Guest_DawterAod_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

Haha, lovin the 'GxF' in your sig.

#24 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:10 AM

Popping a pill just so I could eat gluten? That's just insane. I'm concerned it would just mask symptoms and like others of you mentioned that it might lead to less food choices for those of us who don't want to take a pill. Why take a pill when this can be controlled with diet? I eat so much healthier than even my dr's...

#25 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:17 AM

That's the other thing. You maybe don't know, if it works for sure or if it's only masking the symptoms. But even if we would know 100%, that it's not masking the symptoms, I wouldn't take the pill, unless I accidentaly ate gluten. Like an afterwards thing. And I really hope, that our food choices don't shrink, when such a pill comes out.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#26 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

I think it's likely that if this pill becomes available, most doctors (at least in the United States) will summarily prescribe the drug for their newly diagnosed celiac patients without discussing the gluten free diet as a viable option. After all, isn't it the birthright of every American to shove anything indiscriminately down his piehole and take a pill to counteract the symptoms that arise from eating toxic food? The prospect of going gluten free for life is overwhelming initially, so I think the option of taking a pill before meals will be seductive for a lot of people who are newly diagnosed.
I feel fortunate to have adjusted to a gluten-free diet before this pill hits the market. I'm skeptical that the drug regimen described in this article will actually promote health in the patient. But 2 years ago if that had been presented to me as an option for symptom suppression I probably would have jumped at it.

Also, I completely resent the fact that celiacs, even those who are feeling well by managing their health through diet, are almost invariably refered to in these news articles as "sufferers".

Sarah

#27 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:46 AM

I agree with Sarah 100%...and that's why I'm afraid of this pill in a sense--the gluten-free diet might become...near obsolete......

#28 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

Yeah I agree with Sarah and celiac3270 there....I think it will just cause more problems and what they do best here is cover the symptoms(and cause more problems with side effects) not take away the root problem...
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#29 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

The pill is only for gastrointestinal pain. I am so senesitve to gluten now that it gives me rashes, itchy eyes, and all that jazz. There are also people who suffer headaches and breathing reactions. The pill can only "fix" the stomach problems so what about the rest?

#30 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:16 PM

Agree w/Sarah & celiac3270. Food manufacturers would then get lazy and not want to label the food properly as there's a "pill." What about people who could not afford this Pill & don't have prescription plan/insurance? What if the prescription plan/insurance won't pay for it? For example: Lactaid is OTC and not available as prescription; therefore, it's out of pocket expense. Nice that they make something to help ameloriate the symptoms (and re-action) but not realistic in terms of availability then.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: