#1 AussieJade

AussieJade

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hey guys!

Wondering if anyone could help me in where to find gluten free restaurants and food in Toronto. We're staying near dundas st :)

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

THANKS Guys!

xxxx
Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

Dundas St is a long East-West route beginning in the Beach and running west to the city's western edge (and beyond). Can you give a cross street or approximate street number, with east or west?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AussieJade

AussieJade

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

Dundas St East and Church st :) Sorry - didnt realise how big a street it was :)
Posted Image

#4 phightin phils

phightin phils

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

My gluten-free wife and I are planning a trip to Toronto in the summer, and I found this website to be very helpful for restaurants...
www.glutenfreeontario.ca/toronto.htm

Have a great trip!

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

Here is a link to some information from the Toronto chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association.

The Keg is a chain of steakhouses which is very accommodating. Click for the location on Church St.

Swiss Chalet has several options, and many locations around the city. The closest would be 362 Yonge Street, just north of Dundas.

Il Fornello offers gluten-free food at all locations. The closest would be the one at 491 Church St. We love their pizza.

You are within walking distance of so many places that you should have plenty of options.

Unfortunately, Outback Steakhouse has only one location in the city and it is way out by the airport.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#6 AussieJade

AussieJade

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

Thank you so MUCH for your help!
I'll definitely be trying a few places that you have suggested. Makes my travelling a LOT easier when I know where I can eat :)

Thanks again!
Posted Image

#7 AussieJade

AussieJade

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Oh! And how about where to buy products in that area?? And is there a designated gluten free section? :)
Posted Image

#8 mjr6

mjr6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

I would not recommend Il Fornello's pizza. It is terrible and not worth the money. Kinninnick pizza crusts are way better, practically any other crust is, Il Fornello's was the worst I have ever eaten.
I think many people will be disappointed in forking out 15-20 bucks per individual pizza and that the crust is of such a poor quality. One way I can prove this is: My family has served our pizza to non celiac friends and they wouldnt know the difference, after we complained to the manager at Il Fornello he admitted he tried the pizza and would never eat it again. Restaurants should not serve what they are not willing to eat themselves.

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

Il Fornello is a full service licensed restaurant. Comparing their food and service to other options, I do agree that it is a rather expensive experience. Being able to go to a restaurant where the service is excellent and I don't have to worry whether they understand the gluten-free diet is a blessing to me. Obviously, there is a subjective element involving personal taste. I enjoy both the food and the atmosphere at the Bayview Village location. I have been to two of the others, and was not disappointed with the food at either one.

The gluten-free crusts used at Il Fornello are made by Quejos (click).
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: