2 replies to this topic

#1 Beloved

Beloved

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

My mom made me some gluten-free muffins the other day, and I ate one, then spazzed out when she mentioned baking powder. The canister didn't say anything about gluten, so I emailed Save-A-Lot with the name and UPC code. They were really awesome and got back to me quick:

Thank you for your recent web inquiry and thank you for shopping with us. We’re always delighted to hear from customers who enjoy saving up to 40% on the highest quality groceries by shopping at their neighborhood Save-A-Lot store. The product in which you’re inquiring, the Hilltop Mills Baking Powder is gluten free.

Here at Save-A-Lot, it’s important for us to hear from the people who shop at our stores. Thank you for taking the time to email.

Jo Davis

Consumer Communications Coordinator

Save-A-Lot Ltd.

+ 100 Corporate Office Drive

Earth City, MO 63045

This is what I wrote to them:
I need to know if your Hilltop Mills Double Acting Baking Powder UPC#075725118309 is gluten free. Please let me know asap.

So crisis averted, tokyo saved, news at eleven. Although I had to reiterate the basics of gluten free with my mom - always read the label, if it doesn't say, call or email and don't use until you're sure.

I'm just glad I don't need to worry about this particular brand :)

- Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroid Disease
- Celiac Disease per positive test Nov '07

- "Mystery" arthritis since 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

I thought most baking powder is gluten free?!
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#3 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

....... Although I had to reiterate the basics of gluten free with my mom - always read the label, if it doesn't say, call or email and don't use until you're sure.

I'm just glad I don't need to worry about this particular brand :)

You mean if it doesn't say gluten-free? That's pretty extreme unless you've found that you are a very sensitive celiac. From what I've gathered, most celiacs can do alright by carefully reading labels, and if there is a suspect ingredient they are not sure about, then contacting the company.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: