5 replies to this topic

#1 Live2BWell

Live2BWell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Last week I made a recipe out of "The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Gluten-Free Eating Made Easy: The Essential Guide to the Glycemic Index and Gluten-Free Living" book, and the recipe had Amaranth in it. I had never used Amaranth before, but this recipe in particular made me pretty sick and I was unable to digest the amaranth at all :(

Any ideas why?

I am trying to experiment with alternative grains, and with cooking, but haven't been having a whole lot of luck.

*Jessica*
IgG + IgA + TtG -
Family History of Celiac
See 'about me' for more info
gluten-free Since: 11/02/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Ηey I am sorry you felt sick.

well amaranth is hard to digest (buckwheat is also hard) so you have to soak them first. this is a common "secret" for these grains. you can also soak nuts before consuming them. I think this will work good for you.

Meline
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

#3 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

Last week I made a recipe out of "The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Gluten-Free Eating Made Easy: The Essential Guide to the Glycemic Index and Gluten-Free Living" book, and the recipe had Amaranth in it. I had never used Amaranth before, but this recipe in particular made me pretty sick and I was unable to digest the amaranth at all :(

Any ideas why?

I am trying to experiment with alternative grains, and with cooking, but haven't been having a whole lot of luck.

I believe Amaranth has insoluble fiber in it which can be very rough on the system. It scrubs the intestines.

I know I have issues with foods high in insoluble fiber, it could be that.

#4 N.Justine

N.Justine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

many grains need 'prep' -- soaking, toasting, etc. to break down the outer 'shell'

amaranth is usually tolerated well and is not commonly a 'victim' of cross contamination

you might want to try the amaranth cereals or the flour if the grain itself is too difficult for you to digest at this time

#5 Arlek

Arlek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

many grains need 'prep' -- soaking, toasting, etc. to break down the outer 'shell'

amaranth is usually tolerated well and is not commonly a 'victim' of cross contamination

you might want to try the amaranth cereals or the flour if the grain itself is too difficult for you to digest at this time

Hmm, thanks for the information. Previously, I got some amaranth and cooked it in a rice cooker. It tasted pretty good and all. It made me feel great. However, it came out rather quickly, and lots of the seeds were still visible in the bowel movement. This had me concerned, of course. I figured maybe grinding it into flour would help, but I haven't tried that yet since my Wonder Mill isn't supposed to grind amaranth (I'm wanting to replace it with a L'equip Vitalmill; let me know if you're ever in the market for a month-old Wonder Mill), and I don't have a blender. Would it be best to toast it before grinding it, digestion-wise?

#6 Arlek

Arlek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

so you have to soak them first.

How long do you need to soak them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: