This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Lose Your Marbles?

raisin

raisin Enthusiast

On gluten, I get extremely paranoid and neurotic.. on top of the negative moods, nightmares, anxiety, sleep problems, etc. I see things out of the corners of my eyes, and become ridiculously impulsive. I've learned not to talk to people if I have been glutened for an extended period of time, i just get too weird.

I read that certain vitamin deficiencies, common in celiacs, can make you flat out loony.

Does anyone else experience insanity-lite while on gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms Jan Rookie

Yes, I definately do !

I have always easily gotten stressed out with anxiety, obsessive thinking and like strange ideas, and in this stage I hallucinate - no drugs, no alcohol, simply straight forward brain created hallucinations. It used to scare the h... out of me. Coming from a family full of schizofrenia and other mental problems, I decided at a very young age to hold on to reality with all my might. So I gathered that all these symptoms were my borderlining the genetic insanities ... and that I just had to keep my head straight and keep reminding myself what was real and what wasn't. It did work, but demanded my constant attention and was immensely exhausting ! It was therefore such a relief when a few years ago I realized how closely linked the 'insanity symptoms' were to what I consumed. At the time I had no idea about the gluten, only that I couldn't digest wheat, and I noticed that the hallucinations appeared whenever I had too much wheat, sugar, additives, or coffee. They were also compounded by brain fogs and memory losses, which I didn't have as a child.

Since going gluten free and now on the SCD diet, I'm getting better day by day on all accounts. But if I get glutened or ingest sugar or additives, they immidiately return. Also, I have noticed that my presence of mind is much stronger since I started taking B12 and D vitamins, and a magnesium supplement calms me significantly. I'm still new to all of this, so I can't scientifically explain it all, just take note and try to learn. But I have no doubt that most of my family members with mental diseases would become much better if they went gluten free - but how does one get any psychiatrist to believe in and recommend a diet instead of pharmaceutica ... ?!

I know that whenever I exercise, my mind also gets much clearer and more 'serene'. But I'm not strong enough to exercise much at the moment ... that will have to wait until I get yet a bit better.

Do you have any specific experiences as to certain foods, or certain vitamins/minerals, exercise etc ?

Jan

purple Community Regular
On gluten, I get extremely paranoid and neurotic.. on top of the negative moods, nightmares, anxiety, sleep problems, etc. I see things out of the corners of my eyes, and become ridiculously impulsive. I've learned not to talk to people if I have been glutened for an extended period of time, i just get too weird.

I read that certain vitamin deficiencies, common in celiacs, can make you flat out loony.

I am sorry, but I just had to reply to your question...when I was in the 1st grade (40 yrs ago), I used to beat all the boys playing marbles...they lost theirs to a girl :D I had a fine collection..cat eyes, boulders, clearies, stealies...those were the days...now its ipods and cell phones...oh for the simpler things in life... :blink:

sugarsue Enthusiast

Wow, you just reminded me that when my daughter was younger, while she was still having seizures and before going gluten free, she used to tilt her face up to the sky and say that she could feel God touching her face. She spoke of reincarnation at a very early age before she had ever heard of the topic anywhere. I always wondered if her seizures were giving her a window into another realm. Maybe it was the gluten?

munkee41182 Explorer

I do...I had posted yesterday about how I dumped soap on left over cheesecake that isn't gluten-free. And I've been craving it and craving it.....I've been very mean to my H....depressed....I can't type and talk. It's crazy! I hate it!

hermitgirl Contributor

I hope the damage isn't permanent in my case. I think I lose more marbels with each accidental glutening, I can only hope they come back the longer I stay gluten free.....

In regards to the soap on the cheesecake, I have an aunt who is trying to lose weight, and to control her portions she keeps a big salt shaker with her. To prevent her from nibbling more, she dumps the salt on the remaining food so she won't be tempted to touch it.

Don't you love genetics?

munkee41182 Explorer
In regards to the soap on the cheesecake, I have an aunt who is trying to lose weight, and to control her portions she keeps a big salt shaker with her. To prevent her from nibbling more, she dumps the salt on the remaining food so she won't be tempted to touch it.

I would have used salt....but soap was the only thing near by. It just is so horrible that even if I am glutened accidentally I CRAVE gluten....bread, cakes, cookies, anything I can get my hands on. It's just like I'm a drug addict. I hate it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

raisin Enthusiast
Wow, you just reminded me that when my daughter was younger, while she was still having seizures and before going gluten free, she used to tilt her face up to the sky and say that she could feel God touching her face. She spoke of reincarnation at a very early age before she had ever heard of the topic anywhere. I always wondered if her seizures were giving her a window into another realm. Maybe it was the gluten?

On the subject of mysticism, or whatever you want to call it, there are many who believe those who are made psychically weak/tired are more susceptible to spirit activity or more in sync with the supernatural side of the world. They also believe that link won't necessarily vanish if the person becomes healthy/alert.

I experience in similar ways, more so when glutened (or exhausted), but I don't think it's because of or even related to gluten, nor do I think it's a sign of insanity. But, one of my parents believes that kind of stuff. If I had different or less understanding parents, I would be worse off. I've never felt god touch my face, heard that tends to be more seizure-related, but you never know. ;)

hermitgirl Contributor
I would have used salt....but soap was the only thing near by. It just is so horrible that even if I am glutened accidentally I CRAVE gluten....bread, cakes, cookies, anything I can get my hands on. It's just like I'm a drug addict. I hate it!

I know the feeling. I often wish this had been discovered when I was younger, before I got addicted to pizza, breads, and cream of mushroom soup. The worst is when you accidently ingest. I had an incident with Cool Ranch Doritos on Sunday, I had one nibble, and before I realized what I had done, I scarfed the whole bag. Finally starting to feel human today. Still can't stay awake, but the bloating, pain, reflux and stomach issues seem to have calmed.

• 2 months later...
Chrissyb Enthusiast

I can so totally relate to craving what we can't have. I WANT CHOCHALTE CAKE. I know I can make a gluten free one but it is just not the same is it. I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwihich on nice soft bread now those I really crave, they are my comfort food and I can't have them now. I will live and I will live better now I know but I still want one.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I've always been anxiety ridden....and I find that it comes back in full force with a glutening. I used to worry incessantly about the smallest things, always. Since I've gone gluten free, I have found that I'm much more calm and even. Cutting out dairy has helped too.....especially with sleeping. But yes, losing my marbles would be a nice way to describe me on gluten, lol. And I'm very aware of it now, it's nice to know that it's not normal like I used to think. My mom's side of the family is full of psych disorders, so it's more reason for me to stick to the diet!

Oh, and I also have found that the calcium supplement w/vitamin D and magnesium helps keep me calm....it is the one supp. that I'll spring for if I can't afford anything else!

• 2 months later...
ann72601 Apprentice

Mrs.Doyle Newbie

The emotional reactions have been what pushed me and pushed me to figure out it was gluten causing my issues. The joke with my friends is that if they need someone *taken out* to feed me a sandwich, wait for me to nap a few minutes and then set me loose because I get so hostile. My hubby has the patience of Job and just gently exists with me. I don't know how he does it!

I had a glimpse of what it was like to be gluten free with a happy mind... and now I'm doing a gluten challenge. All the same dark & negative mind sets are back. At least this time I can identify why they are there, separate them and understand that it isn't due to faulty thinking on my part, that it isn't something that talk therapy is going to fix. It will go away as soon as the gluten reaction works itself out of my system, and being able to see that in the future is a nice thing to hang on to in the middle of the unpleasantness.

Vitamin deficiency has a strong correlation to mental issues... might be worth looking into.

• 5 weeks later...
SkinnyT Newbie

I go nuts.

Scary stuff , for real.

ann72601 Apprentice
I go nuts.

Scary stuff , for real.

I've recently found out that gluten alone may not resolve the issue. I'm having to eliminate all grains. I have many food allergies and sensitivities so I kept getting nuts. Yes, a moment of sanity reveals the insanity. My ND assures me that it's part of the celiac and problems associated with it and has put me on the GAPS diet. You can go to www.gapsdiet.com and read it and determine for yourself if it's something you want to try. It means, 'gut and psychology' by the way. Hmmm....

I just read the other comments and only a celiac can laugh at another celiac. It's been pretty embarassing and I feel badly for people who have to love me.........like my family. My social life sucks!!

• 1 month later...
minniejack Contributor

My DS14 gets really out of control, we have holes in the walls to prove it. I have broken many plates and always said my DH was a saint for putting up with me for the last 19 yrs.

You guys made me laugh thinking about our last New Year's Eve. We were in Universal, Orlando and my son had previously been glutened and was a real grump. I ended up getting glutened and it makes me overdrink and become drunk on very little. I ended up taking pictures of myself at a buffet that I wish that I had been sober enough to eat, then passing out in the room and waking in time to run myself and my son over to the parks to celebrate 2009.

My son was being a real grump the next day on the way home and I yelled for him to stop, "I don't yell at everybody when I get glutened so you don't need to either." Everyone laughed because I guess I had went to the room and was screaming, yelling, and throwing things...

I also was paranoid and hated going places. I just finished a study by Max Lucado about Fear, which I don't have now. I told the small group that they have no idea how my life has been for the past 18 yrs. I'm back to the way I once was without fear. Amazing what gluten can do.

• 2 weeks later...
virginiabeach Rookie

Uh... Yeah. A little over a year ago, I joined a dojo (karate school) in the hopes that the training would fix the neurological problems I was having due to wheat exposure. (I'd just managed to pressure the jerk I'm divorcing into getting out of the house -- it was too much trouble to him to not poison me).

I still am not to where I can get/hold job, but I'm done with the nightmares and hallucinations.

Oh, by the way, martial arts training really does help with focus, balance, all that good stuff... I really recomend it to anyone who feels their nervous system has been compromised.

joan b Newbie
:( i must agree i feel like that but dont no whether its gluten intolerance or anxiety on antidepressants to help
tmbarke Apprentice

I'm new to this forum - and gluten intolerance as well so I'm just learning all this gluten-free life.

When my doctor gave me a physical 1week ago including blood tests (the norm) and I told him about my symptoms (holding back tears) - he put me on the gluten free diet and added vitamin D 1000 IU and B-Complex ........ I was stunned.

I did a life re-evaluation that day.

I did research on wheat allergy symptoms, what to eat, what not to eat.....how to shop....the works. But it's still not enough.

My symptoms were almost anaphylactic (sp?) with aches and stress in my left shoulder (like it can't be rubbed out). My throat and tongue would swell but not to the point of can't breathe, just extremely irritating and scary. My eyes weren't focusing together, my mind wasn't focusing, my emotions were were in a blender, my ankles were swelling and it felt like I was walking thru water everyday! My anger started to increase and because I didn't express it, I'd hold it in and add that to the blender.

My thoughts were, Everyone craps on me! and anything thoughtful given to me had a plot behind it - like, what did you do?

I swear, I can't talk without hearing myself sound like a pity case!

I'm angry because I have to read labels - I'm angry because no one else 'gets it' about having to be gluten-free - I'm angry that it takes me 3-1/2 hrs to shop for a small cart of food that costs $100.

I'm angry because I had to put my dog to sleep no knowing why his skin infections wouldn't heal (vets are clueless)

But then I'm thankful for the diagnosis - and I'm thankful that I went to work Friday, my mood was elevated and I could smile again. I'm thankful to see that my eyes are focusing together again, and I'm thankful that my sister is working with me now on this whole lifechanging lifestyle.

I'm also thankful that I don't feel so alone anymore knowing that this forum is a great therapy for my soul.

Thank You for the chance to relate and talk about it.

• 11 months later...
Lizking531 Rookie

I'm still working on a diagnosis (possible celiac, also possible fructose malabsorption), but I definitely know what you're talking about. The intense cravings for crappy simple carbs & gluten (chips, sweets, etc) can take me to new levels. I've been thinking quite a bit lately about the correlation between foods I crave & foods that hurt me. I definitely have found a strong link in my world between binging on sweets & being an a$$hole the next morning.

side note: this morning I took the first B vitamin I've had in a while & now (4 hours later) I have noticed a major improvement in mood & energy. Now, I'm sure an arguement can be made for placebo effect, but it's a start.

The last 2 weeks have been kinda rough for me. Everything was under control, but had noticed some flare ups here & there recently. I received a message from a board member just recently & got back on here. Once I logged in & started reading a little, it was kind of depressing as the realization settled into me that this is something I will probably never be "cured" of.

kristianne75 Newbie

I find that I get paranoid too. DH is working out of town for the summer, and I don't usually think twice about being home alone with the kids, but after being glutened, I jump at every little noise, and lay in bed at night with my heart pounding. I also have no control over my emotions. Last Sunday, after being accidently glutened the day before, I completely wigged out on my poor kids, and had to honestly lock myself in the bathroom in an attempt to control myself and gather my thoughts. DH can come home from out of town and spend 10 minutes with me and ask "What have you eaten?" because it is so obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
BoydBT Apprentice

I became extremely adamant. So much I was very rude to someone I am in love with. During that time she found another lover. Once I was DX i tried so hard to get her to believe I was Glutted and had lost my mind. I wanted to die.

boyd

glutenfreesavvy Rookie

Yes, I definitely get lots of emotional & psychological symptoms after accidental gluten exposure. Sometimes I think it's worse than the physical side of it. :unsure:

Here's an abbreviated list...

1. General loopiness - is that a word? My brain feels loopy or drugged.

2. A tendency toward to mild depression

3. Memory Loss & Brain Fog - I can't remember things - sometimes even simple, everyday things.

4. Irritability...Hubby & kids sometimes tread lightly around the house... :lol:

Sometimes certain symptoms are worse than others & I don't always experience them all...go figure... :huh:

Faydra

rustycat Rookie

I'd always wondered why I had such extreme anxiety and general emotional stability issues (I always seemed to be on the edge of the next depressive episode, wavering back and forth).

Lately, I've caught myself thinking "life can really be this good?". I had no idea what it was like to feel "normal".

I'm still trying to figure out all of my triggers and I don't think that gluten is the only one.

However, these glimpses of normality have given me a lot of hope. There's sadness, too, about the lost years of my life that I spent depressed and not functioning well. I guess it's something that I'll have to grieve over and eventually let go.

Thanks for all of your stories. It means so much to know that there are people who understand. :)

• 5 weeks later...
JDA7876 Newbie

I can so totally relate to craving what we can't have. I WANT CHOCHALTE CAKE. I know I can make a gluten free one but it is just not the same is it. I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwihich on nice soft bread now those I really crave, they are my comfort food and I can't have them now. I will live and I will live better now I know but I still want one.

Aww I so feel your pain! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are my faveorite food and also would be the death of me!

Archived