http://www.sj-r.com/...ories/51682.asp

#18 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

A small bit in this article on the celiac disease article from last week and about how it should've mentioned some more about the symptoms:

http://www.detnews.c.../C10-134493.htm

#19 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

http://abcnews.go.co...story?id=633640

#20 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:10 PM

A couple more:
http://miva.jacksons...200504067068226

http://theedge.bosto...&format=&page=1

http://www.baltimore...tered.intercept

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:13 PM

I'm happy to keep doing this if you'd like me to, but just want to know if people want to see the articles or not.....I don't want to keep posting here and bumping it to the front if nobody wants to read it. ;) I don't mind either way...just want to know if this is getting in the way or not. :)

#22 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:56 AM

celiac3270,
Thank you so much for your dedication for providing this forum with more education. I am looking for more information on the gluten test sticks. I read an article on these small portable instant tests to check food for gluten.
Laura
Michigan

#23 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

Hi celiac3270,

I for one check in here all the time for new articles...... Thanks for posting them!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#24 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

I like to see them too celiac3270 :D Thanks for posting them B)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#25 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Keep posting the links, celiac3270. I keep checking in and reading them, too!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#26 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Okay, I'll keep 'em coming! Just didn't want to post it and bump this in front of the other posts in this section if people didn't want to see it...lol.

http://www.health24....7-740,14453.asp

Oh, the stuff from this Baltimore newspaper requires a registration....so the text of an article that you used to be able to get online and now can't:

Cookies are both crunchy and soft
Recipe Finder

By Julie Rothman
Special To The Sun
Originally published April 6, 2005
Isobel Clayton of Santa Rosa, Calif., was looking for a recipe for chocolate macaroon cookies. We received several versions in response to her request.

I chose to test a recipe sent in by Carol Katsampis of Ellicott City that used only egg whites, no flour. It was a quick and easy recipe that made a cookie that was wonderfully crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. It is completely gluten-free and would be an ideal treat to make for the Passover holiday.

Recipe requests

Helen Orem from Baltimore is looking for a recipe for a fresh fruit dip "similar to the T. Marzetti's brand cream cheese fruit dip that is sold in supermarkets."

Gerry Smaidris of Woodstock, Ill., is looking for a recipe she lost for a carrot casserole. Some of the ingredients are slices of carrot, yellow onion, cheddar cheese and a can of cream soup.

If you are looking for a recipe or can answer a request for a hard-to-find recipe, write to Julie Rothman, Recipe Finder, The Sun, 501 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, MD 21278. If you send more than one recipe, put each on a separate piece of paper with your name, address and daytime phone number. Names must accompany recipes to be published. Letters may be edited for clarity.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chocolate Macaroons

Makes about 1 dozen cookies

2 egg whites

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

6 ounces melted semisweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut

Grease cookie sheet and cover it with a sheet of greased wax paper or parchment paper. Set aside. Beat egg whites until foamy.

Gradually add sugar to egg whites, beating after each addition until peaks form. Add salt and vanilla and fold in melted chocolate; then add coconut. Drop in small mounds on prepared cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool a few minutes on pan before transferring to cooling rack.

Per serving: 162 calories; 2 grams protein; 8 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrate; 1 gram fiber; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 90 milligrams sodium

http://www.baltimore...ack=1&cset=true

....and another w/o link:

On July 20, Congress passed the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) ensuring that people with celiac disease and food allergies can read ingredient statements and easily determine if the product is safe to eat.

"This will take the guess-work out of eating for consumers with celiac disease and food allergies," says Beth Hillson, owner of the Gluten-Free Pantry, and a member of the American Celiac Task Force (ACTF), which was instrumental in obtaining passage of the bill.

"Manufacturers will find the activity on their consumer hot lines decreasing dramatically as they 'tell all' on their labels," according to Hillson who is also a celiac and the mother of a celiac teenager.

Representative Nita Lowey (NY) a sponsor of the bill, explains "With no treatment for celiac disease, the only alternative is to follow a strict gluten-free diet a difficult task considering that food ingredient statements are written for scientists, not consumers. Celiac sufferers should have adequate, clear information at their fingertips."

The Gluten-Free Pantry, based in Glastonbury, CT, understands this need only too well, as the company has been providing safe, gluten-free products for people for more than 11 years. "We have watched our business grow continually as more people are diagnosed with celiac disease," says Hillson. The Gluten-Free Pantry carries more than 400 items that are suitable for people who cannot eat wheat and gluten.

Hillson and fellow members of ACTF were also on hand in June when a statement was issued from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) indicating that celiac disease is under-diagnosed and suggesting that up to 3 million people have the disease. In a landmark consensus statement, NIH called for greater physician and public awareness and earlier testing for the disease.

Celiac Disease is a digestive disorder that is triggered by eating the protein, gluten, which is found in the grains wheat, rye and barley. There is no cure for the disease, but it can be controlled through strict avoidance of foods that contain gluten. The new labeling bill requires listing any of the top eight food allergens by their common name if they are present in a product: milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. Disclosure of wheat covers about 90% of products that celiacs must avoid.

Hillson founded the Gluten-Free Pantry when "there was very little available for people on a gluten-free diet." Today the company offers a wide range of gourmet baking mixes, skillet meals, spice blends, pasta, cookies, breads, cereals and more. "This is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg in the range of foods we need to offer," says Hillson who is continually developing new products for her customers.

"This food labeling bill will open a whole new world of possibilities for "gluten-free consumers," she adds.

The Gluten-Free Pantry is located in Glastonbury, CT. Products are available on line at www.gluten free.com or by calling 1-800-291-8386.

#27 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

http://www.kntimes.c...-newsID-25.html

http://www.naplesnew...3681324,00.html

You need to register to see the latter, I just did and here's the article:

Lawsuit accuses teacher of forcing 5-year-old girl to unclog commode
By KRISTEN ZAMBO, klzambo@naplesnews.com
April 7, 2005

After becoming sick in her Bonita Springs kindergarten class washroom, a little girl's teacher made her don rubber gloves and manually remove the clog, according to a civil lawsuit filed in Lee County.

Lori Januska of San Carlos Park filed suit this week against Bonita Springs Charter School after she said her 5-year-old daughter, Heather, clogged the toilet Sept. 22, 2004, and her teacher made her remove the clog "in front of the entire class."

"Ms. Katherine Ring ... did ... subject (Heather) to a cruel, unusual and traumatic punishment for a 5-year-old child, manually removing paper towels and human feces from a restroom toilet," the suit says.

Lori and Heather Januska are suing the school, saying staff were negligent in hiring Ring, 36, of Bonita Springs, calling her academically and psychologically unqualified to teach, the suit said. They are suing for an unspecified amount in damages.

Calls were placed Wednesday to Ring's home, but she was unavailable for comment.

Neither Lori Januska, nor her husband, William, could be reached for comment Wednesday. Messages were left for Lori Januska's attorney, Joseph Gaeta, but he was unavailable for comment.

Mark Levinsen, senior vice president of administration and human resources for Charter Schools USA, said Wednesday that he hadn't seen a copy of the suit, but investigated the original complaint.

Saying Ring "has an absolutely clear record," Levinsen said "we took proper action. We did hold the teacher accountable. The teacher was disciplined."

He declined further comment.

Heather suffers from the gastrointestinal disorder celiac's disease, the suit said, and she admitted she clogged the toilet after Ring confronted her. Celiac's disease, also called celiac sprue, is a genetic disorder that damages the small intestine because of an intolerance to gluten. Gluten, a protein, is found in oats, wheat, rye and barley.

The condition is incurable, according to the Celiac Sprue Association. Symptoms include abdominal cramps, constipation, back pain and diarrhea.

The suit says the school is liable because "a vulnerable 5-year-old was subjected to cruel, unusual and traumatic disciplinary actions which directly resulted in severe emotional distress, pain and suffering and mental distress." The school didn't conduct a background check on Ring before hiring her, didn't interview prior employers "to determine whether she would pose a risk to the well-being of the children ..." and didn't conduct psychological testing on her.

Ring has no disciplinary record, according to Florida Department of Education records.

Lee County School District attorney Keith Martin declined comment on the suit. Principal Pamela Franco said she didn't know of the suit and also declined comment.

Bonita Springs Charter School is one of the school district's 11 charter schools, according to district records. Children attend tuition-free.

#28 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:21 AM

Hmm...not sure why they put the celiac in...is it because she had diarrhea due to celiac? It's a cruel punishment, nonetheless.

#29 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

That poor little girl....... :o

It amazes me how some people can be so cruel - and to think that a person that cruel is in a position of authority over children is scary...... :(

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#30 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:27 AM

What a rush of memories that brought back for me, as this teacher sounds like the ones I had in grammar school (I went to a private, religious grammar school).

How could the administration keep sticking up for this sick-o? If they didn't research her background before they hired her, they are guilty of wrongful hire. She should have been more concerned in the even the kid was sick, like with the flu. Heck with the toilet at that moment. I wonder what kind of a mother this woman is to her own kids. That is cruel treatment.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: