- - - - -

Celiac Disease In The News

• Please log in to reply

112 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:17 AM

GOSH! I am soooooo glad I didn't have her as a teacher when I was a kid! There were many times I clogged the toilet!!! (prior to being dx with celiac)... Luckily my teachers would call in the school's maintenance man to take care of it and not say anything to the class. I would have just DIED of embarrassment if they had! I am puzzled why they felt they had to mention celiac in that article, also if her diet was being properly monitored by said teacher then she probably wouldn't have clogged the toilet in the first place!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:35 AM

I guess the fact that she had celiac disease, characterized by gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea, boosts their case....this is a child who has a problem with loose stools and the such, and then the teacher was insensitive to the condition, not to mention being generally out of line in asking any five-year-old to do that.

#33 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

http://www.news-pres.../504080451/1075

(Another article about the girl who was forced to unclog the toilet)

#34 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

That is so cruel....that lady should be fired and not allowed to teach in a school with young kids...she should be so embarrassed of her actions.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#35 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

As far as school and gluten intolerance the more that things change the more they stay the same. School sucked for me when I was a kid and I see it sucked for that little girl. I hope her parents make sure that all of her future teachers understand her condition and NEVER cut the teachers any slack whatsoever.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#36 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:12 AM

Hi celiac3270:

Do you get the alerts by setting the preference? I did that but it didn't ask for my e-mail address or anything.
Thanks!
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#37 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

Does anybody know if this has taken effect?Manufacturers will find the activity on their consumer hot lines decreasing dramatically as they 'tell all' on their labels," according to Hillson who is also a celiac and the mother of a celiac teenager.

Representative Nita Lowey (NY) a sponsor of the bill, explains "With no treatment for celiac disease, the only alternative is to follow a strict gluten-free diet a difficult task considering that food ingredient statements are written for scientists, not consumers. Celiac sufferers should have adequate, clear information at their fingertips."

The Gluten-Free Pantry, based in Glastonbury, CT, understands this need only too well, as the company has been providing safe, gluten-free products for people for more than 11 years. "We have watched our business grow continually as more people are diagnosed with celiac disease," says Hillson. The Gluten-Free Pantry carries more than 400 items that are suitable for people who cannot eat wheat and gluten.

Hillson and fellow members of ACTF were also on hand in June when a statement was issued from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) indicating that celiac disease is under-diagnosed and suggesting that up to 3 million people have the disease. In a landmark consensus statement, NIH called for greater physician and public awareness and earlier testing for the disease.

Celiac Disease is a digestive disorder that is triggered by eating the protein, gluten, which is found in the grains wheat, rye and barley. There is no cure for the disease, but it can be controlled through strict avoidance of foods that contain gluten. The new labeling bill requires listing any of the top eight food allergens by their common name if they are present in a product: milk, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat. Disclosure of wheat covers about 90% of products that celiacs must avoid.

Hillson founded the Gluten-Free Pantry when "there was very little available for people on a gluten-free diet." Today the company offers a wide range of gourmet baking mixes, skillet meals, spice blends, pasta, cookies, breads, cereals and more. "This is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg in the range of foods we need to offer," says Hillson who is continually developing new products for her customers.

"This food labeling bill will open a whole new world of possibilities for "gluten-free consumers," she adds.

offering support, my
experience and advice

#38 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hi celiac3270:

Do you get the alerts by setting the preference? I did that but it didn't ask for my e-mail address or anything.
Thanks!

Go to http://www.google.com/alerts

Then enter keywords (i.e. celiac)

#39 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Thanks celiac3270 :D

offering support, my
experience and advice

#40 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:29 PM

Sure ;)

#41 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:34 AM

http://beeradvocate...._read/f-463010/

http://www.health24....7-740,31418.asp

http://www.health24....7-740,31345.asp

http://www.health24....7-740,17216.asp

#42 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:37 AM

http://www.mlive.com...19479192620.xml

http://www.mlive.com...19471192620.xml

#43 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:08 AM

www.health24.com/dietnfood/Food_causing_disease/15-737-740,31418.asp

I went to this one, and did not like what I read. The lists that were provided just didn't seem to jive with a celiac diet, and the recipe with gram flour looked so wrong! Unless gram flour and graham flour are different flours, why is a wheat-containing recipe being listed for gluten intolerances?!? Please, someone, read the article, and correct me if I'm wrong!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#44 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:11 AM

gram flour (besan) Made from chickpeas

GRAHAM flour (WHEAT) Graham flours are WHEAT flours, not to be confused with gram flour from chickpeas.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#45 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:42 AM

Thank you, Kaiti! It does make a difference to know that little bit!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: