This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alcohol Allergy?

Guest Sibewill

Guest Sibewill

I am very confused as to why I continue to get the celiac symptoms and think I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. 1, is it it possible to be allergic to alcohol?(non gluten type) I was having problems drinking BAcardi rum, so I switched to driniking Grape Vodka, and not in any sort of quantity. I am completely hammered with all the usual fun symptoms (bowels, terrible brain fog, etc) even with just 2 drinks, it seems like I have the hangover of a lifetime which just gets worse as the day goes on.

THe 2nd possibility is this bread mix I get from Ireland. It is gluten free according to European standards, but it contains wheat, saying the gluten was removed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

My sister (whoc doesn't have celiac disease) might not be allergic but she has quit drinking because it makes her feel so bad. Even one drink.

richard

Guest Sibewill

Thanks Richard. I guess thats the route I'm going to have to go and see if things improve. If nothing else I'll save a few $$$ while I find out.

skbird Contributor

Hi -

I stopped drinking about two years ago after being an on-again, off-again moderate drinker for about 10 years (I live in a town that makes beer, it's the drink of choice around here). Anyway, I had figured out I was hypoglycemic but couldn't understand what the deal was with alcohol. At this point I can have wine/etc in cooked foods but I can't drink any, if I have 2oz of wine I will have a major blood sugar spike and drop and the next day feel terribly hung over.

I was never an alcoholic but I feel like a recovering one now, when I have to turn down alcohol at a party, etc people look at me with pity, or even with respect - "I really ought to quit, too..." some will say. Then I try to explain it wasn't alcoholism that stopped me, but just feeling really terrible, my health, etc, but then I feel like I'm protesting too much. Anyway, it's weird sometimes but feeling better is worth it.

About the bread mix, I've heard Euro standards are different and I'd question it anyway, if there's wheat of any kind in it I'd be wary, but then again I'm not brave enough to try oatmeal, either.

Take care

Stephanie

gf4life Enthusiast

In Europe they use Wheat Starch and they believe it to be gluten free. I don't think I would try it. I just don't think it is worth the risk. I guess this is also a warning to double check all the labels on any gluten-free products that are made in Europe! I mostly buy products made in Australia and Canada, not because I don't trust the other countries, but because I like the taste of the products and I stick with what I like. I am hesitiant to waste anymore money on trying new things when I am happy with what I have.

I also don't drink any type of grain alcohol, never liked beer, and only have wine about once a year when I visit my sister. I don't buy it at home...

God bless,

Mariann

winki4 Apprentice

Question on the Bacardi Rum...Are you drinking DARK rum or light, because many dark rums are made with a caramel coloring that sometimes is NOT Gluten Free. I stick with light colored alchohols. Many spirit makers refuse to disclose what is in their products. I found out by getting sick. Many whiskeys and bourbons are safe while others are not. Kesslers brand bourbon is safe while Makers Mark brand is not. Makers Mark is very expensive too compared to Kesslers.

Wendy

plantime Contributor

I would look hardest at the bread mix. I don't think it is possible to take the gluten out of wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Sibewill

Thanks for all the responses! In as far as the rum, its been strictly Bacardi (the normal clear one). I play darts at a local pub and the bartender has been really accomadating, we've gone so far as to use plastic cups and bottled mixers for me, and when I gave up on the Bacardi, he went out and bought the Ciroc grape vodka. So I'll begin by stopping the bread mix and the alcohol (not my chianti...yet) and the see if I must lose the wine too or add either the bread or booze back to see if it has been one or both that getting me.

Archived