Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are Body Temperature Issues Related To Gluten Intolerance Or Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim86

Tim86

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

I have problems at night with waking up really hot, and it is difficult to cool off. I'm fine when I go to sleep...I can't use lighter blankets, or I'll be too cold when I try to fall asleep. But I frequently wake up a few hours into the night feeling hot. It isn't night sweats, because I don't get sweaty. I just feel extremly warm.

Could this be a symptom related to gluten intolerance or celiac? Does anyone else have this problem, and how quickly did it go away when you went gluten-free?

I've been gluten-free for two weeks. I've noticed an improvement in "IBS" symptoms, but no other changes yet.
Tim
Newbie looking for answers

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 digmom1014

digmom1014

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

I actually thought I was pre-menopausal because of this. I used to wake-up during the night and have to change my bedclothes. They were soaking wet! I have not had that happen to me in over a year. I'm not sure if it is because of celiac but, I hope the same happens for you when you are gluten-free for a while.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

I used to have night sweats, before gluten-free and for a while after, but they stopped a while back. I think they can be related to thyroid issues and possibly diabetes also. And fever of course.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Jennifer S

Jennifer S

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

I have problems at night with waking up really hot, and it is difficult to cool off. I'm fine when I go to sleep...I can't use lighter blankets, or I'll be too cold when I try to fall asleep. But I frequently wake up a few hours into the night feeling hot. It isn't night sweats, because I don't get sweaty. I just feel extremly warm.

Could this be a symptom related to gluten intolerance or celiac? Does anyone else have this problem, and how quickly did it go away when you went gluten-free?

I've been gluten-free for two weeks. I've noticed an improvement in "IBS" symptoms, but no other changes yet.

I had random fevers for over a year, especially at night, and didn't usually sweat either. Now, I get bad chills anytime. I've had several minor infections that may or may not have caused them. I never did actually take my temp, so i don't know if they were true fevers or not. When my symptoms get bad, i go from chills to the fever again. A point, I am gluten free for two months, but have no diagnosis but IBS, gastritis, and peripheral neuropathy. the fever part seemed to diminish after being gluten free (the first time) for about six weeks.

#5 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

I have hot/cold issues as well. In doing more research and talking with my doc, he claims that mine is linked to my Hashimoto's Disease (Thyroid). Since, the thyroid actually is the regulator of body temp, if it doesn't work properly it can cause random cold or heat spells. Mine is usually cold, but I do get hot at random. I have ruled out menopause as I am only 30, so that wouldn't make a hole lota sense for me. :D

Good luck with it. Sucks, but hopefully over time when your body finds it's "happy" place it might adjust itself accordingly.

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#6 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

I struggle with night temperatures too. For me it's thyroid and Lyme but I bet as you heal your body will readjust.

When I got diagnosed with celiac my average body temp was 93! Yet, I would be hot after as little as 10 minutes n bed.

It's really frustrating, but give it some time. If it doesn't get better see your doctor.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#7 krystal

krystal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

I had to read this, as I have odd temperature issues in the last couple of years as well.

During the day, I am always too warm. I keep my house about 60 degrees and can finally wear a long-sleeved shirt, but in normal houses (70*) I need tank-tops.

However, at night I have to PILE on the blankets to the point that I can barely move, because otherwise I freeze. My alarm goes off in the morning, and I can lay there about 3 minutes before it's like someone turned on my thermostat and I have to kick off all of them. My normal body temperature is in the high 96* range, and is gradually getting lower every few months.

I never thought this could be related to celiac, and I have not yet gone gluten-free, so I can't tell you more. I have no confirmed diagnosis yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm heading down the gluten-free path.

#8 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

I've also heard it could be because of the thyroid. If you decide to get checked, ask them to check the Free T4 and Free T3 instead of just a TSH. For me, my TSH was slightly elevated, but my T3 was really low and the T4 low as well.

Some doctors will only check your TSH level which doesn't show the whole picture.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

#9 weishy

weishy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

I've also heard it could be because of the thyroid. If you decide to get checked, ask them to check the Free T4 and Free T3 instead of just a TSH. For me, my TSH was slightly elevated, but my T3 was really low and the T4 low as well.

Some doctors will only check your TSH level which doesn't show the whole picture.

i'm so glad i found this link. i'm struggling with my 3 kids who are gluten intolerant and i'm pretty darned sure they are temperature sensitive when it comes to sleeping well. when the weather gets warmer outside they sleep at 68... if they sleep at 69 degrees or even 70, all three wake up with the crankiest of all demeanors.... crying, whining, fighting (which they don't usually do if they sleep well). and at 70 they complain that it's too hot. it's very strange to me because both my husband and i sleep find with a range of temps including 70-72 with similar blankets.

does anyone recommend what to do? should i be going to get their thyroid levels checked? would it even help anything?

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

It might be a good idea to have their thyroid checked. I think soy is another possible cause of heat imbalances. My body was really wacky when I was eating soy.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: