4 replies to this topic

#1 ranger

ranger

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi. OK. Maiden name; Seymour. Grandmother: Helen Long. Great-grandmother: Molly Ahearn. Any relatives out there? My question is this- I eat corned beef and cabbage every St. Pat's day, but is it authentic?? I have a feeling that people in Ireland don't. Anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

Hi. OK. Maiden name; Seymour. Grandmother: Helen Long. Great-grandmother: Molly Ahearn. Any relatives out there? My question is this- I eat corned beef and cabbage every St. Pat's day, but is it authentic?? I have a feeling that people in Ireland don't. Anyone know?

When I was in Ireland corned beef and cabbage was rarely on the menu. I think I saw it once and that was in Dublin.

But I can say I had absolutely no problems eating in Ireland and I love Ireland for many reasons.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#3 rosiemackymom

rosiemackymom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'm half or so irish, not the same families though :) (I'm McDonald, Dowling, and Inch)

I have lived in Ireland though, and my experience was this: while they do eat boiled seasoned meat and cabbage, fairly often, its not a specific St Patricks thing. St Patricks is a religious holiday. You go to Mass. And, its during Lent. So the giant partying is an American thing, though now some of it has retroactively spilled back to Ireland. Now there are parades and stuff, but its not traditional.

#4 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'm the daughter of an irish immigrant who married into an irish-american family, does that count? :P
I don't really celebrate St Pat's outside my home, but I tend to make some traditional food for my friends. We're having a game day this weekend and I'm making some gluten-free soda bread and some mini meat pies, both foods from my childhood. I did eat a lot of boiled cabbage and potatoes and parsnips(ew) as a kid, mostly at my irish grannies house. I remember brisket but no corned beef like they sell on St. Pat's here, corned beef was always something you had as hash for breakfast.
Lamb stew with barley and dumplings was always our St Pat's meal. Of course now I use rice instead of barley and make the dumplings with Pamela's mix.. but hey, it works.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#5 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

I am almost 1/2 Irish, mostly Swedish. My grandma always cooked "farm fresh" food but never taught us anything specifically Irish. Probably b/c she was an orphan and never learned. She taught me how to bake COOKIES! She was a great cook. Names are Anderson, Neilson and Peterson, beyond that IDK.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: