1-1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb ricotta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
6 gluten-free lasagne noodles (or as many as needed to fit two layers in pan), cooked and drained
1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Brown meat with garlic, pour off fat. Add tomato paste, water, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese and eggs. In a 13x9x2 in baking dish, spread a thin layer of meat; top in order with half the noodles, all the ricotta cheese mixture and half the mozzarella. Cover the mozzarella with half the remaining meat sauce and all the remaining noodles. Top with remaining meat sauce and mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350oF for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Serves six.

Ads by Google:

Seriously Peter, send me some! :P

That sounds delish! I'm going to have to store this one away. I'll have to figure out an egg free way to make it though.

Lasagna

Serves six.

Yeah, right :ph34r:

Sounds wonderful Peter!

Have you tried it with UNcooked noodles? A couple of years ago there was a recipe floating around, but never tried it.

Lisa,

We make a pumpkin lasagne and use uncooked noodles. You bake it for about the same amount of time, I would think it would work. The next regular lasagne I make, I'm going to try with the uncooked noodles.

Lisa,

We make a pumpkin lasagne and use uncooked noodles. You bake it for about the same amount of time, I would think it would work. The next regular lasagne I make, I'm going to try with the uncooked noodles.

It sure would make it a lot easier with less pots to clean. :D I know I'd make it more often.

It sure would make it a lot easier with less pots to clean. :D

Isn't cleaning the lasagne pan enough????? :lol::lol:

We've never done it without boiling the noodles first. I do recall seeing a recipe or two that called for uncooked noodles. It would save on clean up if we didn't have a pot and strainer to include in the wash-up.

Serves six? Your mileage may vary. If the real Garfield was here, he would probably eat the whole thing himself. :lol: The two of us get three meals out of it. It keeps well in the fridge and the portion to be eaten reheats well at 350 for 20 minutes and then is served immediately.

HAH! There are six in my house, and I tell ya, I'd have to make two batches for sure!!! :lol:

I haven't made lasagne since the whole gluten-free thing came up, but I used to cut slices from the leftovers and eat them cold for breakfast.

There are some things that I can't be trusted around...

I do the uncooked noodles all the time . . . I just add like an extra 1/2 cup of water or so (sorry, I'm not a measurer :P ) to my sauce.

Sounds delish Peter.

Isn't cleaning the lasagne pan enough????? :lol::lol:

That's what husbands are for!!! Peter, thanks for the recipe!

I do the uncooked noodles all the time . . . I just add like an extra 1/2 cup of water or so (sorry, I'm not a measurer :P ) to my sauce.

Sounds delish Peter.

I used to do the uncooked wheat noodles and my recipe said to use about 1/4-1/2 cup water poured around the edges, seal with foil, and I always baked it longer. Now I boil the noodles in a frying pan, then put them on a plate until I start layering, no need to drain or rinse. I don't use eggs but do use prepared spaghetti sauce. I Like lots of sauce...mm. I have some leftover in the freezer, I need to thaw and eat up. :P

Anyone have any suggestions on a dairy free sub for the ricotta?

I make my dd's lasagna with mashed potatoes or creamed corn usually. How about some mashed beans-like mexican lasagna? I wonder if some dairy free cream cheese or sour cream would be good. Or use some of each. Tofu? IDK :blink:

Check out the cheese replacement thread and see whatsup ;)

Well, there's tofu, but that has soy in it.

I was thinking maybe a garbanzo bean (chickpea) hummus mixture, seasoned generously with olive oil and some lemon, might work.

I skip the egg in the ricotta anyway. And add frozen spinach, seasoned with olive oil, vinegar, and italian spices, in addition to the cheese and meat. I don't cook the noodles, but add extra water mixed into the tomato sauce ( a big jar of gluten-free spaghetti sauce) and seal the top of the pan with foil to bake- it steams the noodles, which absorb that water.

Well, there's tofu, but that has soy in it.

I was thinking maybe a garbanzo bean (chickpea) hummus mixture, seasoned generously with olive oil and some lemon, might work.

I skip the egg in the ricotta anyway. And add frozen spinach, seasoned with olive oil, vinegar, and italian spices, in addition to the cheese and meat. I don't cook the noodles, but add extra water mixed into the tomato sauce ( a big jar of gluten-free spaghetti sauce) and seal the top of the pan with foil to bake- it steams the noodles, which absorb that water.

How funny, I just posted a lemony, olive oil, hummus dip recipe on a new thread that I thought could work.

That's pretty much how I make my lasagna. I made three different versions this week (just made them in smaller loaf pans). This version, a similar version with tofu (two vegetarian daughters) and a mushroom alfredo version (I can't do tomatoes). I made the mushroom alfredo one similar to the others but subbed in alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce that had been mixed with sauted chopped portabello mushrooms and shallots.

I just saw a recipe made with tofu:

http://www.vegfamily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3131

scroll to the last post