This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Sure Hope It's Not The Chocolate That's Bothering Me.

wild fisher

wild fisher Rookie

Something dawned on me the other day. I felt great when i was in Mexico, I ate everything, except obvious wheat, and felt great. I actually felt the best I've ever felt in 9 years. :lol: When I got home and started eating my regular stuff, (eggs for breakfast, snack on peanuts, almonds, cashews, M&M and raisins during the day, fruit and supper (meat, potatoes, vegy)) i started to get bloated and reacted daily. I was thinking how i didn't eat any chocolate in Mexico...Now that i'm back to my peanut/m&m mix i'm wondering if it's soy! I also bought the new cinnamon Chex and totally got bloated. It's gluten free now but i reacted! The only symptom i have is lots of gas and very bloated. This is how i react to gluten but with much more pain. What does everyone know about soy? Is there a blood test that i could take to see if i have any other food allergies?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
Something dawned on me the other day. I felt great when i was in Mexico, I ate everything, except obvious wheat, and felt great. I actually felt the best I've ever felt in 9 years. :lol: When I got home and started eating my regular stuff, (eggs for breakfast, snack on peanuts, almonds, cashews, M&M and raisins during the day, fruit and supper (meat, potatoes, vegy)) i started to get bloated and reacted daily. I was thinking how i didn't eat any chocolate in Mexico...Now that i'm back to my peanut/m&m mix i'm wondering if it's soy! I also bought the new cinnamon Chex and totally got bloated. It's gluten free now but i reacted! The only symptom i have is lots of gas and very bloated. This is how i react to gluten but with much more pain. What does everyone know about soy? Is there a blood test that i could take to see if i have any other food allergies?

I can't eat any chocolate that has soy lecithin in it. However, I don't get the bloating, gluten-type symptoms. Soy makes me itch like crazy. I don't know that there is a blood test for it; I tested positive to it on a scratch test years ago, and mostly avoided soy but not fanatically like I avoid gluten. Since going gluten free, the smallest amount of soy bothers me and I have had to become fanatical about it too :(

But everyone reacts differently to things, so your soy reaction could be similar to gluten. It's so hard to find candy without gluten and soy :angry:

Gen Rookie

Cinnamon chex has Barley Malt extract...I thought that was a no no? Or did they reformulate and I just haven't gotten the new yet? I bought a box last weekend...I too thought it was gluten free and loved it then realized it wasnt....

Mtndog Collaborator

Only RICE CHEX is gluten-free (just checked the website).

It could definitely be the soy but people here have reacted to M and M's. Maybe CC on the lines. Try another chocolate- something good like a gluten-free bar of Open Original Shared Link (treat yourself!) and see if it's the soy.

Enjoy Life makes gluten-free, soy free chocolate chips if it does turn out to be the soy.

Could be legumes too (soy and peanuts and most beans) but if you ate beans in MX I'd rule that out!

I remember I commented on you feeling better in Mexico (double happy!) by saying maybe you were eating more fresh and less processed food. Maybe look into that and try eliminating more processed food. Or go back to Mexico and take me with you! :D

Roda Rising Star

Corn chex is gluten free now too. I just bought a box today at Walmart. Check your lables though since both might be on the shelves still. There is another thread in I think the products section on this very subject if interested.

Archived