Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Expandex- Modified Tapioca Starch?

12 posts in this topic

Does anybody know about this stuff? I looked up expandex and all I could find was that it is a modified tapioca starch. But what does this mean, exactly? How is it modified and is it something we have to worry about?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Modified starch is starch that has been partially broken down. Unless it is from a gluten grain, which tapioca is not, it is suitable for a gluten-free diet.

Sorry Peter-- I didn't mean if we had to worry if it was gluten free or not. I meant if we had to worry about any adverse effects from the "modified" part.

Broken down how? What does this do-- I mean, what is the purpose of modifying it? And what does it do inside of bake goods? And wht does it do inside of you when you eat it?

It seems to me that lots of people are slightly worried about modified starches and this is the first one I have encountered (that I noticed.)

Hey thanks!

After reading the link, I bet it is the genetically modified starches that people are worried about. I feel better now.

I will go make an angel food cake now.

If Expandex is "just Modified tapioca starch" why does it have a trade name,?

This topic is almost four years old, so I'm unsure why we are reviving it now.

If Expandex is "just Modified tapioca starch" why does it have a trade name,?

"Accent" is just monosodium glutamate. Why does it have a trade name? Answer: So you will associate a specific brand in your mind, and purchase that brand rather than a generic form of the same substance. Marketing 101.

I didn't realize it was an old forum. I hope it gets re-activated because today I have what I call a "chemical" hangover. All my muscles ache. I made pizza last night with a very popular brand of commercial crust. I knew better. About 2-3 months age I ate at my favorite Pizza place (gluten free) next morning I ached all over. I ate there one more time before I realized they had changed their crust. I asked their response was "same crust", I checked label, it's ingredients used to say tapioca starch now says "_____'s Best Blend (tapioca starch).

I have sent this question out before because I think Tapioca is being modified like wheat has been. I also have had a reaction to an "absolutely delicious gluten-free cupcake" I now bake all my own products. Your reference to Accent is more accurate than you realize.

I didn't realize it was an old forum. I hope it gets re-activated because today I have what I call a "chemical" hangover. All my muscles ache. I made pizza last night with a very popular brand of commercial crust. I knew better. About 2-3 months age I ate at my favorite Pizza place (gluten free) next morning I ached all over. I ate there one more time before I realized they had changed their crust. I asked their response was "same crust", I checked label, it's ingredients used to say tapioca starch now says "_____'s Best Blend (tapioca starch).

I have sent this question out before because I think Tapioca is being modified like wheat has been. I also have had a reaction to an "absolutely delicious gluten-free cupcake" I now bake all my own products. Your reference to Accent is more accurate than you realize.

Tapioca is gluten free.

Tapioca is gluten free.

I guess I am on the wrong forum. I know it is gluten-free but my issue is that there are a lot of gluten-free things that have "modified starch" in them. Only in the last few years have gluten-free products had modified starches that had a "NAME" like Expandex

I guess I am on the wrong forum. I know it is gluten-free but my issue is that there are a lot of gluten-free things that have "modified starch" in them. Only in the last few years have gluten-free products had modified starches that had a "NAME" like Expandex

If it says modified tapioca starch, then it is tapioca made into a starch. It can't have wheat or some other starch added to it. Not really sure what you are saying?

Not sure why the pizza crust company thinks the brand of tapicoa matters so much that they "name" it in the ingredients. Perhaps they get a discount for listing it by brand name? They could just say tapioca starch and not mention a brand.

I don't think there is anything dangerous about listing a brand name. I have seen products that say "made with real Land of Lakes butter" or "made with Somebody's Sea salt" (Can't remember that salt brand so I guess the advertising didn't work! :blink: )

Expandex® is an American product - a lot of consumers like to know where there food originates. It emphasizes that fact that it is totally gluten-free in the US market-place:

http://expandexglutenfree.com/index.php