This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Upcoming Luncheon

deesmith

deesmith Apprentice

I need some help please!

I have an all day interview March 30th which will include a panel interview, a few individual, one-on-one interviews, breaks, and a luncheon. The lunch is schedule for off-site from 12:00 to 1:30, according to the agenda I received.

So any suggestions on how I should handle this? I am one of those that is highly sensitive to cross-contamination.

Should I call ahead and speak with the coordinator of all of this and explain my dietary issues/concerns?

Should I just pray they go somewhere like Applebee's where I can hope to order from their gluten-free items?

I'm just worried we're going to walk into some place like the Olive Garden or something where I really can't order anything. There is a really nice Italian restaurant in the area (Keene, NH) where I'm going. I can't order anything there either.

I deparately need a job and this seems like a really good one. So I don't want to blow it. Some people are okay with dietary issues and others just think you're weird.

Thanks.

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

That's a tough situation. I don't think I would say anything to anyone since it is a job interview and I wouldn't want to appear high maintenance. I would pack enough food to get me through the day and take my food to lunch. I am not one to hide and eat so if we went to a place that couldn't accomodate me I'd pull my lunch out and answer questions. If we ended up at a place where I could order something then it would be a nice surprise.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I think Janetw's advice is perfect. That is how I would handle it as well.

YoloGx Rookie

If you did want to conceal the fact you have celiac you could eat beforehand and just have some bottled water or fresh hot tea. With the water, make sure you go to the bathroom first however to wash the lid area before using. I actually got CC'd from bottled water at a bakery... I also often go back to ask the server and cook to at least wash their hands first before giving me the water, tea or whatever.. and let me open say the tea bag. The other way I deal with it is that I have this very cool looking small stainless steel thermos I keep tea in. No one thinks to really ask why. I just say its my special tea... As far as the food goes you can say you are on a diet...makes them think you are just trying to stay trim. Not a lie, just not all of the gory details. Another way is to order a small dish of something but don't actually eat it. Kind of pick at it without actually eating and after a while push it aside, saying you ate something earlier and weren't really hungry anyway if anyone bothers to ask.. All potentially true.

Bea

kbtoyssni Contributor

Probably depends on what you think the company culture is, but I would probably ask where you're going to lunch because you have some food allergies and like to check the menu before going to a restaurant. It's a tough one, though.

Welda Johnson Newbie

I think all the suggestions are great, and I want to add, as a 64 year old woman who has had Celiac since age 8, though of course I didn't know that's what was going on--eventually you get to the point where you think about what is going to be good for YOU, and what is going to contribute to YOUR health and well-being. I always just simplify when people ask me about my special diet, and tell them I have "food allergies," which most people these days are beginning to understand, because almost every family has someone with special needs. It might be interesting for you to begin taking some of your own food along, or maybe you already do, because I've found that employers and others find it noteworthy when a person is taking good care of himself or herself. As we all know, it is a real challenge to be able to take care of ourselves in this day and age. And, being open about your food tolerances and intolerances let's you have a brief view of the attitudes of those you are contemplating perhaps working with or for. I've found that job interviews go both ways--you are deciding whether you want to join this group, just as much as they are deciding if they want to invite you in. I wish you the best with your interviews! Always, Welda

deesmith Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your really good advice. It is a funny situation. I'll be in a situation where I sort of am being judged and have to care what others think (although this shouldn't be the case during the lunch). But I also have to consider what is best for my health.

Well, it's only one lunch. And whatever I choose to do, if it seems to be an issue, then I probably won't want to work there anyway.

But thank you for giving me some ideas on how to handle it! I knew this was the place to come to.

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

I've eaten at Olive Garden before and have not been glutened. You have to watch what you order. First they bring you a salad. I have questioned their choice of dressing and was told it was a "house dressing" and was all natural ingredients. Remind them not to put crutons in the salad and if you don't tolerate cheese will tell them no parmesan. I ate the salad without any problems. In my neck of the woods, Olive Garden serves a (don't specifically know the name of it but) chicken kabob served with potatoes and zuchinni. They top it with Balsamic vinegar. I had it with the balsamic and without. It is delicious! Just don't forget to tell them no bread on the plate.

Archived