27 replies to this topic

#16 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

Okay guys, time to cry with me a little. I took my youngest son to McDonald's this week while his older sister went out with some friends. A gentleman came by and asked me about my van's lift for the wheelchair and then promptly asked me if Joseph was my grandson! My hair has been turning gray for years and it goes into a tizzy of grayness and frizzies if I get even slightly glutened. I almost cried. The poor man was so embarrassed when he asked how old I was and I was not in my 60s or anywhere near it.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 minibabe

minibabe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

The doctor told me not to change anything until after my Scope,because it was possible that it would alter the result.

I was told that as soon as I got my blood work to change my diet. My GI told me that it would not change the results of my Scope. The only way it would change the results is if I waited over a year to get the Scope done. But if it is with in a few months. I think that you should go gluten-free as soon as possible! :)

#18 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

I tend to agree with Rinku Okamato's doctor...wait until after the scope to change your diet. You don't want to take any chances of the damage not being caught.

So sorry, cdford :( ...try not to let it upset you... remember that your friends and family and the people on this board who have never seen you before anyway :lol: don't care what color your hair is ;)

I can see where it would upset you though. Feel better.

#19 ErraticBinxie

ErraticBinxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

I lose my hair periodically as well.

I don't talk to a doctor or anything about it (mostly because he refuses to diagnose me as having celiac disease even though i havent eaten gluten in 9 years) but I have discussed this with my mom. We were thinking that it might be an adverse reaction to foods you eat that show up months later. We came to this conclusion because of two reasons: 1) all celiacs have a wide range of reactions to eating different foods 2) eating something bad for you could possibly take even months to affect your hair. If I start to lose my hair, we look at everything I have eaten in the last couple months that might be questionable in the least, remove it from my diet, and my hair stops falling out in a while.

Look at what your eating. Even if you think everything is safe and you have been eating the same foods for years, there are several variables that can change throughout the course of time.

Good luck!
<3 Alexis
Gluten-Free since 1995

#20 CrashLanden7

CrashLanden7

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:16 AM

I was fourteen when I was diagnosed. I never had any problems until recently with my hair ( I am 20 now). I did not change to a gluten-free shampoo but have been on a very strict diet since my diagnosis. Just within the last year or so, my hair is definately falling out quicker than its growing in! Even with the strict diet, direct contact has definately affected my hair. So, I would definately encourage you to find a gluten-free shampoo... I wish I would've.

Plus, sunburns hurt... and the old adage that women like a man's bald head only works if you're attractive enough to distract them from your head!

#21 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

Sure :). There are tons of cross-contamination issues. To list a few:

• Somebody in your family spreads peanut butter onto bread that contains gluten. Then they put the knife back into the container. CRUMBS. Then you go and make yourself a PB & J sandwich with gluten-free bread...and you get contaminated from the crumbs in the jar. The amount of gluten you need to contaminate yourself is the size of 1/1000th of a slice of bread. That's scary...think of how small that is :o
  • Toaster---have a gluten-free one and a non-gluten-free one, easily distinguishable--that's the #1 problem.
  • Replace any teflon or cast iron pots or pans that easily retain gluten. You can also keep the old ones and just get new ones for only gluten-free food.
  • Lipstick
  • Toothpaste
  • The part of an envelope that you lick to seal it
  • The silver drawer
  • Old cutting boards,
  • Wash your hands before eating finger food--if you put on a lotion or touched something that contained gluten (i.e. playdoh--that's not really applicable to you, though :D ) then there could be contamination.
  • Oh, if you have pets: most dog food contains gluten.......licking.....
  • Collanders and wooden spoons easily retain gluten
  • Kissing someone who ate gluten...
  • Putting gluten-free food on the counter...which a gluten bagel was just on...
You get the point :lol:

That's a lot of things O.o;;;
Well...I do admit to playing with my cousin's playdoh XD,or rather I did.It's been ages since I've posted on here...school,and mostly being lazy,but no more of that.Just to keep everything up-to-date,I do have Celiac's Disease.Biopsy came back,and the other blood tests were positive.My intestines are damaged badly,but they will heal over time.I've been on my gluten-free diet since last Wednesday...and I'm about to pull my hair out. ;_; .My Nutritionist from Vanderbilt gave me to three-four weeks to get off gluten completely.My Mother made me go off the next day XP.Well,I don't have to worry about the toaster...I tried some gluten-free bread,and I about choked.It was so rubbery,the more you chewed it,the more it would expand.So,I said forget bread.But,I have found some great gluten-free flour mixes,rice noodles and other things.So it isn't that bad,though I'm having trouble with this...I cried for about an hour after seeing a bunch commericals for pizza and other foods I love.We've been extra carful,cleaning the table before I eat,putting napkins on the lunch tables at school,ect.Lots and lots of label reading...so I'm getting there :lol:

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

#22 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

You were saying that your hair isn't the same....

I started the diet when I was 8 and before I started the diet, I always got comments about how unusual my hair was. They called it beaded hair. My hair was growing funny because of the disease and it made my hair straight and curly at the same time. My hair was really rough and course. A couple of months after I had started the diet, my hair started growing normally.

I have had rashes and itching if I use products that contain wheat or oats. Stay away from Herbal Essence is what I would say from my experience.

That's exactly what's happening to me.I have these bizzare strands of hair that are snow white and they are really curly and course.I have avoid gluten for a little over a week(well,hopefully unless of cross-contamination that I wasn't aware of) and haven't seen any difference...and I don't except it to until a month or two gluten-free.

I'll be sure to stay from Herbal Essencet then,since that is what is usually at my father's home.

#23 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

I was diagnosed when I was a baby but all my hair fell out, and it was really gross according to my parents and sisters. I am 14 also so if you have any questions you can always e-mail me or IM me I am on 24/7 so you can always reach me. Hope your hair gets better. It will, it may just take some time, but you know that it can't get any worse than this if you are a celiac :)!

Even though they knew you were diagnosed with celiac disease,I still bet that was a bit frightening for your folks when that happened. :(
I'll be sure to do that!Thanks,I believe it will. I just thought of a question now!Do you think it would be okay to have my cut right now?My hair is still in the same condition.Yes,I'm a Celiac,so I'm glad this isn't anything worse ^_^

#24 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

I have researched the "thinning hair" issue, and vitamin B12 came up quite often. I recently went out and bought a sublingual B-complex, with a boatload of B12 in it. It's sublingual, so doesn't even need to go thru your GI-tract.

On the liquid vitamins, I would recommend starting with a small bottle, to make sure you like it. I used to work in a pharmacy... the smell of liquid vitamins *with iron* was enough to make me vomit. I can't imagine having to take that stuff every day!! You don't want to buy a gallon of a liquid vitamin that you can't stand taking! I'm sure, like everything else, some brands taste better than others.

My Mother went out and bought me a multi-vitamin.I know Bı² was listed in on it.So I guess we are staying on these,unless the doctor thinks we need something different.I detest my vitamins,they extremely large in size...and they leave this terrible taste in my mouth.I have to think happy thoughts when I take them ^_^

#25 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

About the bread, I'd recommend that you try the Ener-G tapioca loaf and/or the Kinnickinick bread. Ener-G an Kinnickinick are probably the two most popular breads. None will be as light as wheat/white bread, but those two taste the closest.

Post back here or under the products section if you can't find a good gluten-free version of some food.

#26 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

Nick, don't sell yourself short...a man isn't mature enough to be good looking until he is bald. My husband just laughs when I rub or kiss his bald head and then suggest we spend some time together!
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#27 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:20 PM

kissing someone who ate gluten???! :o great now you got me worried. I'm going to go freak out now. good bye
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

#28 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:21 PM

even my parents?? oh boy I'm in trouble
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: