This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorry I Know This Is Gross

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I was just diagnosed with a fistula and it has to be surgically removed, my concern is that it will take forever to heal or wont heal at all because of my chronic constipation and IBS. Having a BM is a huge procedure for me and typically causes a lot of strain on my bottom. So if i have this procedure and subsequently have an open wound it is going to be excruciating to have a BM and i wont be able to take pain meds cause they will upset my system even more. I really dont know what to do. I have the option of just living with the fistula since its not life or death situation. has anyone had experience with this? I know the first thing you will say is take fiber or eat some prunes, but its not that simple..believe me i wish it were...i have irregular gut motility (lazy bowel), various food sensitivities and if i even stray slightly from my already bland diet I will get severely backed up and not all the laxatives in the world would help. as u can see im in a realy predicament here. id appreciate some feedback

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I don't have any specific advice. Just sorry you're going through this. Have you discussed your worries with your doctor in detail? He may not realize how serious your concerns are. If the doctor doesn't have any ideas on how to make this surgery workable, you might want to get a second opinion just to see if maybe another doctor might be able to figure out a way for you to have this surgery without worrying about everything else on top of it. There has to be something they can do for you.

Nancy

GFinDC Veteran

Ooohh super gross-out yucko Jason! Just kidding! :D I haven't had a fistula myself, but my younger brother did. He had Crohn's and had several fistulas over time. They did a bowel re-section for him and a colostomy to give his colon time to heal.

You might find some people who have experience with fistulas at the Crohn's Forum. I am not saying you have Crohn's either, but fistulas tend to show up in people with Crohn's so that group might have good info and advice for you. They are kind of a rowdy bunch over there! Seem's like a good bunch of folks though. Not trying to run you off at all, please don't think that! My brother was on prednisone for a while. He didn't like it much though. I think they have some newer drugs now.

Open Original Shared Link

Wenmin Enthusiast

I've had this surgery. They removed hemorrhoids and repaired a fistula at the same time. It was a very stressful recovery (not lots of pain just mental stress). I also suffered depression during the recovery. But, I was back to work in two weeks. I stand on my feet all day long and it was told to me that standing was the worst thing to do. Since the surgery I have not had any problems (thank goodness) and would recommend it if you are suffering.

Good Luck with your decision.

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

A family member of mine had one for over twenty years. It came after hemorrhoid surgery. It bled, got infected often filled with pus broke & bled--- an on going cycle. Through the years doctors said they couldn't do much about it then the PCP told him to see a guy who certainly could repair the damage. So after twenty years of misery in an instant it was repaired. They were concerned that it may have turned into cancer but he was very lucky that the biospy was okay. It took a while for this bugger to totally heal as they heal from the inside out & this one was very big, slowly it healed & closed... it took about six months. He said the procedure did hurt but only for a brief amount of time after the procedure was over he drove over an hour home & had no pain to speak of. Keeping the area clean is probably the hardest part...

He also was told to take miralax as needed but he has never had a problem.

You said you have the big C,. One could put a bomb off & I couldn't go but now since I've added several vitamins & minerals, fish oil, enzymes & probiotics , tons of water & miralax, all is much better. The doctor had me start off with miralax three times a day ,& when things got bad & I was hospitalized for a week for severe C, they tried evrything.. Mineral Oil finally did the trick so use this as a last resource & immediately take miralax the next day. This is the only thing that has worked for me.....

hth

mamaw

Archived