#1 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I have a last minute problem figuring out if I can eat this spiral-cut Carando Ham. Can't call on the weekend. I know I can't have the glaze, but, the ham itself contains brown sugar. Is brown sugar always gluten-free?

Thanks,
-donna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmj0803

jmj0803

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

Donna-

I called about the Carando Ham's Thursday. I was told that they have not been tested and they will not confirm that Carando Ham's are gluten free. I brought the ham back to the store and bought a Hillshire Farm Spiral with brown sugar glaze. Hope this helps.
Jessica

Daughter
9/05 Diagnosed Hypothyroidism
2/16/05 Biopsy diagnosed Celiac
8/14/06 Diagnosed Addison's Disease also known as Adrenal Insufficiency

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

Brown sugar is gluten-free. Can't say about the ham but the company's statement is standard CYA. MOST commercial products have never been tested. I doubt the Hillshire Farm ham has been "tested."

richard

#4 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:01 AM

Brown sugar is gluten-free. Can't say about the ham but the company's statement is standard CYA. MOST commercial products have never been tested. I doubt the Hillshire Farm ham has been "tested."

richard

Well, the brown sugar was the only ingredient I was not sure about. Other than that, I guess the only problem is possible contamination? Why else would I need to worry, if the ingredients are gluten-free? But it's not like ham goes through a lot of processing the way a bag of chips would go through a production line, so, perhaps there would be less chance of it containing any significant amount (?)

Well, I dont have much choice, so, I'll let you know how I turn out ;)

Have a great Easter!
-donna

#5 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:27 AM

Donna-

I called about the Carando Ham's Thursday. I was told that they have not been tested and they will not confirm that Carando Ham's are gluten free. I brought the ham back to the store and bought a Hillshire Farm Spiral with brown sugar glaze. Hope this helps.

Maybe this wasn't very safe of me, but I ran into this with a spaghetti sauce the other day. All the ingredients were gluten-free but the company wouldn't promise it was gluten-free. I had a bite with no problems. Honestly, if you can't rely on ingredients, then you can't trust anything, b/c I'll bet most companies don't test for gluten. Kraft labels well, but do they test?
-donna

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 06:00 AM

"Kraft labels well, but do they test?"

I'm sure they don't. If all you're going to buy is "tested" product, you'll be fairly limited.

richard

#7 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:12 AM

"Kraft labels well, but do they test?"

I'm sure they don't. If all you're going to buy is "tested" product, you'll be fairly limited.

richard

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I'm going to go enjoy my ham now. :D

Have a good one!
-donna

#8 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

FYI, Carando Ham lovers,

I ate the spiral cut ham today and I feel just fine. I DID NOT have the glaze on it (it has wheat in it). I'm ultra sensitive, so.... if I'm okay, it must be safe :D

Thanks!
-donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: