This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Frostings

bklyn

bklyn Enthusiast

Are all cake frostings gluten free? I bought a gluten-free cake mix, but I'm not sure about frostings. (Never bake, my daughter offered to do this)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Mari

The Cherrybrook frosting mixes are gluten free. You can get them at Whole Foods, and maybe some regular markets. They are really good :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I use Pillsbury frosting....you have to check labels but they do not hide anything :D All frostings are not gluten free.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Duncan Hines...I like the "cream cheese" frosting the most :D

Deby Apprentice

Betty Crocker frostings have wheat in them. Pillsburry frostings don't have wheat that I can find.

A simple recipe is to use a can of sweetened condensed milk, 1 stick of softened butter, 4 oz cream cheese or 1/2 cup shortening, 2 cups or more of powdered sugar.

Cream the condensed milk, butter and cream cheese or shortening in a mixer until light. Add a flavoring at this time if desired, lemon juice, vanilla, etc.

Add the 2 cups of powdered sugar mixing slowly so the sugar doesn't go everywhere. You can add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder at this time or melted baker's chocolate.

Add more powdered sugar as necessary to get a thick enough frosting to spread.

This turns out great and has much less transfat from shortening in it.

You can sub 2 cups of shortening if you can't handle milk products. Crisco makes a non transfat shortening that I have used and like. It still has quite a bit of fat and the frosting has that shortening taste, but it's still good.

catfish Apprentice

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I just made a flourless chocolate cake and I wanted something different to ice it with since I don't usually care for frosting.

What I ended up doing was to make a chocolate mousse and used that to frost with. It was the perfect counterpoint to the rich cake!

I melted together 6 oz semisweet chocolate and 1/3 cup wipping cream. I soaked 1/4 tsp unflavored gelatin in 2 Tb cool water for 1 hour, then heated the water in the microwave to dissolve the gelatin (not all of the gelatin dissolved, I removed the small blob that didn't dissolve) and then stirred this into the melted chocolate combo with 1 tsp vanilla and removed it from heat.

I whipped 1/2 cup of whipping cream to stiff peaks, then carefully folded about 1/4 of the melted chocolate mixture into the cream, then fold half of what was left, then folded in the rest of it. I put this in the fridge for about half an hour, then used it to frost the cake. It was so light and fluffy, it would have been dessert in itself (and it looked very nice on the cake too). I decorated the cake with raspberries and a mint sprig. It was a real hit!

plantime Contributor

Something I have done instead of frosting is to "dust" gluten-free confectioner's sugar over a devil's food cake. It adds a touch of flavor without overwhelming the tastebuds.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Confectioners sugar does add flavor you are so right there :D

I make cinnamon rolls and then mix confectioners sugar with other things and drip it all over them...they tasted sooo good....

Confectioners sugar is good over cakes like was said before me....

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I use Duncin Heinz homestyle. I love the milk chocolate ontop of Gluten Free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownies mmmmmmm.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest nini

My daughter's birthday is Wednesday and she wants a party at school... AND she wants an Ice Cream cake... not like I can go buy one already made :rolleyes: so I decided to attempt to make one of my own. I used Pamela's Irresistable Chocolate Brownie Mix and followed the directions for a cake off the side of the bag. But I used a large cookie sheet instead of a cake pan (lined with wax paper) then after it was cooked and cooled (in the freezer) I cut it in half and put one half in the bottom of a large casserole style pan, covered it with a quart of Dairy Queen's chocolate soft serve ice cream, put the other half in next, covered that with 1/2 a quart of Dairy Queen's vanilla soft serve, and it's currently chilling in the freezer. My question in the frosting thread is, should I wait til Tuesday night to frost it or can I do it before then and keep it in the freezer??? I'm assuming that the frosting will freeze ok. I'm going to use Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting with funfetti...

plantime Contributor

Check the ingredients of the funfetti: the last one I looked at had wheat in the candies. Frosted cakes don't freeze well, the frosting makes the cake soggy when it warms up a little bit. I don't know how it would do on an ice cream cake, since the cake has to be kept cold.

Guest nini

I didn't see any wheat ingredients listed in the funfetti... on the ingredients for candy bits it says: sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed, soybean), corn starch, modified corn starch, confectioners shellac, colored with yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1, and salt

and highlighted in bold it only says: contains soy ingredients

Guest ajlauer
she wants an Ice Cream cake... not like I can go buy one already made

Are the ones at Dairy Queen not gluten free???

Guest nini

the dairy queen ice cream cakes have gluten based cake in the layers...

Guest ajlauer

Whoa, I didn't know that! I thought they were just ice cream!! Guess I'll be making my own version of an ice cream cake for Melanie's birthday. Darnit! When we go to DQ, she stands at the door of the cake cooler... you know, hands on the door... face pressed up against it.... glass gets foggy where her nose is.... probably even a little drool coming out of her mouth....

Archived