24 replies to this topic

#16 lasga

lasga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for doubting me. Maybe you can chat with my dermatologist who performed the patch tests that confirmed the allergy. :-P The body will take B12 from natural sources, and that is what I count on. It is the supplementation that is at risk. Yes, I am allergic to cobalt...which is what cobalamin supplements are made of. I am also allergic to nickel and chromium, which are also mentioned below (from http://www.acu-cell.com/nico.html):

"While estimated to be rare, dermal exposure to cobalt can - like with nickel sensitivity - trigger allergic
reactions, dermatitis and asthma, whereby hypersensitivity to nickel becomes a heightened risk factor
for cobalt hypersensitivity. Home or work-related contact sources of cobalt are pottery, paints, some
cosmetics, costume jewelry, antiperspirants, hair dyes, dental plates, etc., and also Vitamin B12 in the
form of injections (which can cause a red, itchy and tender area around the injection site) and tablets
(which can trigger eczema-like dermatitis).
In addition to nickel and cobalt, chromium is another metal whose exposure may trigger an allergic
reaction in some hypersensitive individuals, necessitating the use of gloves when handling any suspect
metals, or applying a protective coat of varnish (or clear nail polish) on items one has to touch and use."

And FYI, there is risk of having anaphylactic reactions to injections B12 in allergic people.

I am allergic to cobalt also and have low B12. I have had anaphylatic shock twice, Do not know what to do. I am getting weaker. I can not find any DR to help me.Have you found a solution? I had the patch test for Cobalt ,also.I get the same reaction.from others also.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I am allergic to cobalt also and have low B12. I have had anaphylatic shock twice, Do not know what to do. I am getting weaker. I can not find any DR to help me.Have you found a solution? I had the patch test for Cobalt ,also.I get the same reaction.from others also.

I just looked in my crystal ball, and I can see organ meat in your future :ph34r: lasga. Also shell fish, octopus, pork and various other options. See here:

http://nutritiondata...00000000-w.html

Welcome to the boards and I hope you are not allergic to shell fish. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

Can you do the injections?

I never heard of this allergy before but I have learned, from this website, that people can be allergic to anything! I agree with Shroomie, find foods with B12 and start eating them, even if you don't love them.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

Hi
I have just started to take B12 (Methylcobalamin) - it is liquid form and I put drops under tongue to absorb sublingually.
This also avoids potential absorbtion problems from damaged digestive system as sublingually is absorbed directly into the bloodstream - I think!!!
Have also read (please don't take this as a fact because I don't know that it is) that B12 swallowed is a direct foodsource for candida albicans - like sugar and yeast. That could presumably cause stomach issues if you have candida.

#20 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

In this context are we talking about the general population or people with celiac?

I'm a celiac and my B12 (with tablets, 1000mcg/2-3 per week) values were 320 (Feb,2011), 528 (Aug,2011), 609 (Dec,2011) and 693 (Mar,2012). Lab range: 208-964. My next bloodwork is in Feb.
I use Nature Made B12 which claims "Timed Release" formula that extends the vitamin absorption by the body.The last part of the small intestines is the ileum where B12 is actually absorbed. If the villis are intact there, enough absorption will occur. It did for me.

This product does contain cyanocobalamin and is gluten-free. Apparently, cobolt is not a problem to me.

#21 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I just looked in my crystal ball, and I can see organ meat in your future :ph34r: lasga. Also shell fish, octopus, pork and various other options. See here:

http://nutritiondata...00000000-w.html

Welcome to the boards and I hope you are not allergic to shell fish. :)

still going to contain cobalt....would seem from what i read that it appears to be more dermatitis than true allergy. would be interested if lasga has been fully tested for other potential allergens..

#22 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

You are so right, frieze. Just looked up a cobalt food chart here: http://www.thecdi.co...food_Feb_06.pdf on natural sources of cobalt. Seems hard to separate B12 from cobalt. Can you tell us what put you into anaphylactic shock, lasga? Was it a food source of B12 or a supplement?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I also found this to be of interest:

Normally, B12 must be broken apart from food by acid and enzymes in the stomach. B12 must then be tied together with a protein called intrinsic factor, which is produced by cells that line your stomach. Intrinsic factor carries B12 across your intestinal wall into your blood, to be delivered to your cells. This journey across your intestinal wall requires the presence of calcium, which is suppled by your pancreas.

Pernicious anemia is a condition that involves gradual destruction of cells that line your stomach, which decreases the ability to break B12 apart from food and decreases the availability of intrinsic factor to carry B12 into the blood.

If you are deficient in B12 because you don't have enough stomach acid, enzymes, and/or intrinsic factor, you might have to receive injections of B12 directly into your blood via your muscles.

Another option is to take high oral doses of vitamin B12, which can lead to a small percent being absorbed into your bloodstream without the help of intrinsic factor. An oral dose of 1000 mcg results in approximately 10 mcg entering your bloodstream.

http://drbenkim.com/nutrient-b12.html

Have you, lasga, been tested for hydrochloric acid in stomach, and for pancreatic sufficiency? It could well be that you might need some betaine HCl and some digestive enzymes to help you break out the B12 from the foods you ingest.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#24 Findin my way

Findin my way

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

So, no, don't think it was the lactose. I broke out in an acne-type rash all over my face, and it only responded to an adult acne cream, and then it took four weeks! (And I never even had acne as a teenager!)

Mushroom were your sublinguals hydroxycobalmin? That form of b12 is known to cause acne. Also methylcobalamin is very sensitive to light and heat. Both (or each) will break down methyl to hydroxy rather quickly. All b12 supplements should be kept below 20C (about 70F) and out of light.

And FYI, there is risk of having anaphylactic reactions to injections B12 in allergic people.

From what I understand those reactions are usually from the preservatives used in the shots.

#25 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Mushroom were your sublinguals hydroxycobalmin? That form of b12 is known to cause acne. Also methylcobalamin is very sensitive to light and heat. Both (or each) will break down methyl to hydroxy rather quickly. All b12 supplements should be kept below 20C (about 70F) and out of light.

No, it was Solgar methylcobalamin in a brown bottle, the first day I got them home from the Naturopath. No problem with the shots.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009