This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Missing Bread/pasta

gabrielle

gabrielle Contributor

I'm really missing regular wheat bread and I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any really yummy gluten-free breads/pastas. Some of the ones I've tried have been not so appetizing. Help!

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Kinnikinnik breads and other goodies are great. Wholefoods Bakery brand breakds and goodies are also real good.

I like DeBoles pastas!

gabrielle Contributor

I've had Kinnikinnik breads, and so far they are the best. But I was just wondering about others... OH AND WHAT ABOUT PIZZA??!?! any good tips?! :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Manna from Anna has a wonderful bread mix. It is the closest thing to "real bread" that I have found. It actually TOASTS for a grilled cheese!! Awesome stuff. :D

-Jessica :rolleyes:

gabrielle Contributor

thanks jessica!! I'll give it a try!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

We like to use Kinnikinnick pizza crust, too!

Guest barbara3675

Took the advice from this message board and ordered from Kinnikinnick.com and ordered the sandwich bread and donuts. The bread is better than any I have had so far, actually had sandwiches for the first time since going gluten-free. The donuts are very heavy, one is all you can eat at a time. I got the maple glazed and chocolate glazed. Not quite like going to a donut store, but better than not having donuts at all. I also ordered hamburger buns. They are quite good too. First time I have had a real burger too. It is very expensive, however. For two half loaves of sandwich bread, 8 hamburger buns and 12 donuts, it came to $30 and $10 shipping. I doubt I will order the donuts again, but I do think I will order the bread again sometime.

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I like the doughnuts. They ARE heavy, can double as a paperweight is what I always say. However, I think they taste really good!! If you were a doughnut lover before I think you would like them.

I also like the Ener-G doughnuts holes. They aren't bad.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

in my opinion...

Best Bread - Sterk's, then Kinnikinnick (I've never tried Manna from Anna) Sterk's is good because it is vaccum packed, no freezing! and it tastes great! umm

Best Pasta - Tinyada

Links:

Open Original Shared Link

Sterk's Bakery in Vineland, Ontario 3866 23rd Street

Toll free: 1-800-608-4501

local 1-905-562-3086

Fax: 1-905-562-3847

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I love Kinnikinnick brand of bread. The Doughnuts are good in my opinion...I like the chocolate glazed.

I love Foods By George English muffins. They come in plain and cinnamon. I like to toast them and but cream cheese or butter and cinnamon on them and they are delicious. I eat them almost every day.

minibabe Contributor

Tinkyada is by far the best pasta that they make. When my mom cooks she uses that and the rest of the family doesnt even know!!! Also not sure if you are on Long Island but a really great Italian Restaruant uses it! :D

gabrielle Contributor

WOW! Thanks so much!!

Kaiti- I just bought those english muffins today and you are right they are wonderful!!!

Medaka- Thank you for the links, i will definitely check them out!

I've been living on Thai kitchen soup bowls for about a month, and i love them but I really would love some spaghetti!!! and a huge slice of pizza. I will definitely try all of these things! Thanks so much! :D

Guest nini

I love Tinkyada pasta, when I cook with it, no one else realizes it's gluten free! I made a chicken pasta dish for dinner tonight and my hubby who is not gluten-free, ate two huge helpings of it!

for bread I really like Kinnikinick breads and Whole Foods gluten-free bakehouse breads and goodies.

for pizza I get Amy's Organics Rice Crust Cheese Pizza, top it with extra mozzerella cheese, garlic powder, Gluten Free Pantry's Italian seasoning blend, and whatever other toppings I'm in the mood for like Hormel Pepperoni, or sliced mushrooms, black olives, cooked hamburger meat, green peppers, red peppers, onions, pineapples, whatever! After it's done baking, my daughter laughs when I ring the doorbell, pretend it's delivery and yell "Pizza's Here"!!!!! :D:D:D

gabrielle Contributor

NINI- that is so cute ringing the doorbell!! ha! I love amy's organics they are wonderful, I love her enchiladas!

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try those soon!

I have had Tinkyada pasta, i went to my cupboard to see what kind of pasta i had and that's what it was. I made cheesy mac and cheese with the little elbows. It was great!! Better than Kraft ;)

Guest nini

yeah, I think Tinkyada pasta is the bestest! When I make mac and cheese I use the small elbows or shells, and after it's cooked and drained I add milk, butter, and slices of Kraft Deli Select American Cheese... YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!! That's another dish that my non gluten-free hubby will scarf down!

Roo Explorer

My son really likes Original White Bread the mix from The Great Tasting Food Company it is sooo easy to make, we made it with sandwiches, toasted with butter and french toast, all were great it seems to be very versitile. We have also made their brownies and last night I made their lemon poppy cake mix into muffins they were really light and so good my whole family ate them.

Also Foods by George makes really great individual pizzas. They are small but really good.

Their english muffins are really good and very soft. If you like rice cakes, my son uses plain ones or lightly salted and puts sause and melts mozz. cheese on it in the toaster oven and has a little pizza snack.

We have used the Knicknick (sp)? english muffins as hamburger buns and I also made them into garlic bread the other day very yummy.

We are also new to this, not quite 3 weeks and I have gotten so many ideas from this board. Everyone is so helpful....I guess we all know what it's like to be new and have no idea what to eat.

Keep reading, I've found helpful things in each of the topics.

Roo

cdford Contributor

If money is a real issue (it is in our household) and you like breads, try milling your own grains and making your own breads. It is significantly cheaper in the long run. I answered some extensive questions in another post on the milling topic. You should be able to find it by doing a search.

Archived