This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Barley Grass And Wheat Grass

JustMe75

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Does anyone know if wheat grass and barley grass are gluten free? I am assuming they are not but I thought I heard somewhere they are ok for some reason. I found this vitamin/anti-oxidant drink that contains both and would like to try it. The brand is Symmetry and the product is Genesis. Anyone heard of it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

brigala Explorer

Even if there is no gluten in the portion of the barley or wheat stalk used in this product, I would be very concerned about contamination from the barley or wheat grains.

Also, who knows whether they put just the grass stalk in the product, or the whole thing including the grain head (and therefore the gluten)?

I would definitely avoid it.

-Elizabeth

Guest Tracy Russ

I know of a product named SweetWheat that I have used. They are a great company! The wheatgrass is harvested very young and somehow this makes a difference. I am very, very sensitive to gluten and I have had no problem.....I highly recommend you call them and talk to one of the customer service reps....

Blessings,

Tracy

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Yeah, I will try and call them. I actually heard about it at a Wellness party and I asked one of the girls who was presenting it and she said she had called them because her cousin is gluten free and the company said it is safe. I got concerned when I read the ingredients and saw the words "wheat" grass and "barley" grass and she kept saying they were safe because gluten is what happens when wheat is processed. :huh:

I was so excited to have my daughter try it. She is still having so many health issues I don't know what else to do for her. Hopefully they say its ok and actually know what they are talking about.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

They may be considered gluten free but many of us will react. I wouldn't touch either with someone else's hand and if you do feel you have to take them it would be wise to wait until you are totally healed and then do a challenge with no other risky items to see if you react. There are so many safe supplements available and of course grabbing a handful of raw greens in a salad is also a good way to get those nutrients that for me it is not worth the risk.

MNBeth Explorer

I used to freak out about wheat grass, too, being too fearful of possible wheat grains in anything with wheat grass to try it - until I actually saw some barley grass.

If you to do a Google Image search for "wheat grass," you may see what I mean. Wheat grass, when ready for harvest, looks like your lawn. It is far, far too young to have any heads of grain yet developing.

There may be people who react, but I doubt that it would be from wayward grains of wheat. I don't blame anyone for avoiding it, but neither would I think anyone crazy for trying it, especially as there do seem to be people who do fine with it.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Thank you and I really do respect everyones opinion and willingness to take the risk. I emailed the company and wiil see what they say. If they say the same thing about the grass being young and such I think I am going to try it. I have been gluten free for a year and a half. I am not "officially" celiac but have double DQ2 and have absolutely no gastro symptoms since going gluten free so I consider myself celiac. If I get contaminated I usually know within a day so it will be easy to find out if its safe. And they have a 90 day money back guarantee so I won't be out the money. Unless anyone knows of a gluten free antioxidant (preferably not a pill) that they like.

And I know if I ate better I wouldn't have to supplement but I am extremely picky and have a hard time eating most fruits because I have a phobia of worms (I swear I am not crazy) and I have the most stressful life so I know I need supplements and I really believe in the power of antioxidants in fighting/preventing things like cancer and I found some lumps in my breast a few months ago and it scares me alot. They are "watching" them for now but I want to do whatever I can to prevent it since everyone in my family that has died has died of cancer.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thank you and I really do respect everyones opinion and willingness to take the risk. I emailed the company and wiil see what they say. If they say the same thing about the grass being young and such I think I am going to try it. I have been gluten free for a year and a half. I am not "officially" celiac but have double DQ2 and have absolutely no gastro symptoms since going gluten free so I consider myself celiac. If I get contaminated I usually know within a day so it will be easy to find out if its safe. And they have a 90 day money back guarantee so I won't be out the money. Unless anyone knows of a gluten free antioxidant (preferably not a pill) that they like.

And I know if I ate better I wouldn't have to supplement but I am extremely picky and have a hard time eating most fruits because I have a phobia of worms (I swear I am not crazy) and I have the most stressful life so I know I need supplements and I really believe in the power of antioxidants in fighting/preventing things like cancer and I found some lumps in my breast a few months ago and it scares me alot. They are "watching" them for now but I want to do whatever I can to prevent it since everyone in my family that has died has died of cancer.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

There are a lot of antioxidents out there that are not made from possible gluten sources if that is what you are looking for. Have you tried pomagrante (sp) juice or Acai, for example? If you are looking to fight stress then you need good doses of B vitamins and C. Do a google search for antioxidant rich foods and for foods rich in B and C vitamins if you don't want to supplement. Do not supplement beta carotene though if you are a smoker as that will increase your chances of lung cancer.

brigala Explorer
she kept saying they were safe because gluten is what happens when wheat is processed.

LOL! That's a new one! I am always amazed at ignorance regarding gluten. My favorite one is, "No, there's no wheat in it, I only use WHITE flour."

There may very well be no gluten in wheat grass, but that would be because of the absence of grain, not because gluten is created by a process.

I'd need to know a whole lot more about it in order to try such a thing, and I'd need to hear about it from a source other than the company selling the product.

-Elizabeth

Archived