104 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

A woman at our local support group told us about a low-carb "bread" that she makes in the microwave. I tried it and thought it was okay and started to experiment a little. This morning, I hit a really great recipe. My 15 yo DD, who is not gluten-free said it was good and asked for more. It reminded me of whole wheat bread - soft, yet grainy in a good way. I'm planning to make some more of these for sandwich buns.

Here's the recipe:

1 large egg
2 Tbs. brown rice flour
1 Tbs. almond meal
1 Tbs. golden flax meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
shake of salt

Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You'll have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife, but mine came out pretty easily.

I'm using some self-control to wait until lunch time to make another one and create a delicious turkey sandwich. (insert drool icon)
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

wow this sounds like it would be fabulous for those "there's nothing in this house to eat" moments! I might just have to try it today :)
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#3 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I just tried this, and it works pretty well!

I didn't have a microwaveable baking dish the right size, but a cereal bowl worked just fine. Since my sliced turkey was round anyway, it matched up nicely. :)

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#4 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

I just tried this, and it works pretty well!

I didn't have a microwaveable baking dish the right size, but a cereal bowl worked just fine. Since my sliced turkey was round anyway, it matched up nicely. :)

-Elizabeth

Question...do you think it would work for a "single" hamburger bun???
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

It's just about the right size for a hamburger bun. I actually like to slice it into 3 slices and make a sandwich from the top and bottom. I eat the center part later with butter or jam. I'm not used to having a lot of bread anymore and it seems like too much.

I've also noticed that sometimes it turns out too dry. If I only bake it for 1:25 I like it better.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#6 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

It's just about the right size for a hamburger bun. I actually like to slice it into 3 slices and make a sandwich from the top and bottom. I eat the center part later with butter or jam. I'm not used to having a lot of bread anymore and it seems like too much.

I've also noticed that sometimes it turns out too dry. If I only bake it for 1:25 I like it better.

Thanks, I thought it would be so fast for a bun when my dd comes to visit or something she can "bake/cook" by herself ;) (20 and hates the kitchen) And she likes those ingredients too :)
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#7 caek_is_a_lie

caek_is_a_lie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Do you think there's a good substitute for the rice flour? I can't do rice either, but I can do sorghum. Boy would I love to try this treat! It's been years since I've had any bread of any kind. [/drool]

#8 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Do you think there's a good substitute for the rice flour? I can't do rice either, but I can do sorghum. Boy would I love to try this treat! It's been years since I've had any bread of any kind. [/drool]

I was just thinking about trying it with sorghum flour! I think it would be lower in carbs and have a lower glycemic index that way...? Unfortunately I just ran out of sorghum flour, but if you manage to get it to work, please post your results!
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#9 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I had to make one...WOW it works! I used the sorghum and a cereal bowl about 6" wide. Makes 1 large bun w/o the third slice...just cut it in 1/2. The inside looks amazing. Nuked it 1.25. Great if you need a "to-go" bun. Now I need to make a burger to go with it. :lol:

FAST FOOD at home ;)

Results: DROOL b/c my hamburger on a bun is delish B)

Thanks Liz!

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Mmm, sorghum flour sounds great! I like it, but don't buy it because it's so much more expensive than rice flour here. I'll have to get some anyway to try it.

I'm glad that you're having success with this easy recipe too! I mixed up a ziploc bag full of the ingredients and now just measure 1/4 Cup with an egg when I need a "bun".

The original recipe is low carb and actually pretty good if you like really nutty whole grain type stuff. It is 1 Egg, 2 Tbs. Almond Meal, 2 Tbs. Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a shake of salt. Make it the same way. It's heavier, but still tastes good. I eat one for breakfast when I want something filling and low carb. Lots of fiber too!
Liz

#11 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Mmm, sorghum flour sounds great! I like it, but don't buy it because it's so much more expensive than rice flour here. I'll have to get some anyway to try it.

I'm glad that you're having success with this easy recipe too! I mixed up a ziploc bag full of the ingredients and now just measure 1/4 Cup with an egg when I need a "bun".

The original recipe is low carb and actually pretty good if you like really nutty whole grain type stuff. It is 1 Egg, 2 Tbs. Almond Meal, 2 Tbs. Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a shake of salt. Make it the same way. It's heavier, but still tastes good. I eat one for breakfast when I want something filling and low carb. Lots of fiber too!

It's good to know about the variations. I think I'll try it without the cocoa and replace some of the flax with rice flour. I like the whole-grain flavor for a sandwich, but I kind of prefer a "white bread" flavor with a hamburger. Maybe replacing the flax with potato flour and/or potato starch would yield something more like a potato bread??

Darn. I wish I had an unlimited capacity to eat. I'd try it tonight!! The cool thing about it is that I can experiment on one serving at a time. I don't have to waste, for example, an entire package of expensive almond meal for something that may or may not work!

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#12 lonewolf

lonewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Darn. I wish I had an unlimited capacity to eat. I'd try it tonight!! The cool thing about it is that I can experiment on one serving at a time. I don't have to waste, for example, an entire package of expensive almond meal for something that may or may not work!

That is a great thing about such a small recipe. I keep thinking that I'm going to try adding herbs or tweaking it a bit more, but I don't want to eat too much of it.
Liz

#13 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

I was a little skepticle about trying this. But I gave in and went to the grocery store and bought the brown rice flour and golden flax meal. I could not find almond meal so I just went to the baking isle and got two small packages of unsalted almonds and put them in the food processer and bingo I had almond meal. It probably works out to be cheeper in the long run. I made it an WOW! I was really suprised by how well it tasted. I have tried various gluten free breads and have not liked any so I don't eat bread at all. I then decided I wanted it to look more like a slice of bread so I tripled the recipe and put it in a small rectangular baking dish I had and microwaved it. All I have to do is cut it in four squares and then slice it in half and I have slices of bread. My husband even commented on how it tasted pretty good, but I don't think he is going to make a habit of eating it though. It was really fun watching it bake in the microwave. Pretty neat to bake bread that way. :P I wonder how it would turn out using an egg replacer? I shared this recipe with a coworker of mine who is also gluten free but I found out she can't have eggs, well at least not much.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#14 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I was a little skepticle about trying this. But I gave in and went to the grocery store and bought the brown rice flour and golden flax meal. I could not find almond meal so I just went to the baking isle and got two small packages of unsalted almonds and put them in the food processer and bingo I had almond meal. It probably works out to be cheeper in the long run. I made it an WOW! I was really suprised by how well it tasted. I have tried various gluten free breads and have not liked any so I don't eat bread at all. I then decided I wanted it to look more like a slice of bread so I tripled the recipe and put it in a small rectangular baking dish I had and microwaved it. All I have to do is cut it in four squares and then slice it in half and I have slices of bread. My husband even commented on how it tasted pretty good, but I don't think he is going to make a habit of eating it though. It was really fun watching it bake in the microwave. Pretty neat to bake bread that way. :P I wonder how it would turn out using an egg replacer? I shared this recipe with a coworker of mine who is also gluten free but I found out she can't have eggs, well at least not much.

PLZ, if you try the egg replacer would you post your results! Thanks! I like the idea for those that take their own bun to a restaurant...this would be so easy. I was skeptical too, so I waited until someone tried it first. The loaf sounds good for making fast grilled sandwiches. How long did you microwave your triple recipe?

#15 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

PLZ, if you try the egg replacer would you post your results! Thanks! I like the idea for those that take their own bun to a restaurant...this would be so easy. I was skeptical too, so I waited until someone tried it first. The loaf sounds good for making fast grilled sandwiches. How long did you microwave your triple recipe?

I think I am going to borrow some egg replacer from another friend of mine to try it. I don't have a problem with eggs, so I don't want to buy a whole box of it. I microwaved it for 4 1/2 minutes, so just triple the original cooking time. I liked it so much I have eaten three sandwiches today. My hips will thank me later. :lol:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: