104 replies to this topic

#16 The Kids Folks

The Kids Folks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Yummy! I just had to try this! I too was suprised that it worked. I totally loved the texture. It kindof reminded my of this homemade bread that my mom would make when I was a kid. I can't wait to make it for my son. He really hasn't had a bread that he likes since going gluten free. This one might just be it!

Thanks for experimenting!! :D
Loving Life - gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I think I am going to borrow some egg replacer from another friend of mine to try it. I don't have a problem with eggs, so I don't want to buy a whole box of it. I microwaved it for 4 1/2 minutes, so just triple the original cooking time. I liked it so much I have eaten three sandwiches today. My hips will thank me later. :lol:

Thanks, I walked an extra mile on hills behind my house b/c of that hamburger :lol:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#18 Silly Yak Pete

Silly Yak Pete

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

I tried using different flours but no matter what I try it has a eggy taste. What can I do to lessen the the taste of egg in it.

#19 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

I was wondering about the almond meal and the flours. will others work.
how do substitute flours work out? turn ut good still?

#20 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I tried using different flours but no matter what I try it has a eggy taste. What can I do to lessen the the taste of egg in it.

I hate eggy taste too but I never noticed it in this bread recipe. I tried it twice with a hamburger and all the condiments...not as just bread. I am not sure but maybe you could try 2 egg whites or 1 egg white and some water. Or 1 egg white and a spoonful of applesauce. At least as someone else said...you only have to make 1 at a time to experiment on ;)
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#21 Silly Yak Pete

Silly Yak Pete

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

I hate eggy taste too but I never noticed it in this bread recipe. I tried it twice with a hamburger and all the condiments...not as just bread. I am not sure but maybe you could try 2 egg whites or 1 egg white and some water. Or 1 egg white and a spoonful of applesauce. At least as someone else said...you only have to make 1 at a time to experiment on ;)

Those are good ideas i will try some of those suggestions.

#22 tyme2shine

tyme2shine

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

A bread that you can make in the microwave? That's for me! Indeed this recipe sounds like it would be great with some herbs added. Nice recipe for me to try one day.

#23 TinaM

TinaM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Is there something i can sub the almond flour with? I'm allergic to almonds. TIA!

#24 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

Is there something i can sub the almond flour with? I'm allergic to almonds. TIA!

Try it with ground walnuts or cashews...then let us know ;)

#25 TinaM

TinaM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

Sorry Purple, all nuts and peanuts are a no-no for me.

Try it with ground walnuts or cashews...then let us know ;)

#26 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Try using a second Tbs. of flax meal. The "original" recipe called for 2 Tbs. of flax - it's a bit more "grainy", but still good.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#27 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:45 AM

Man, I don't know what I did wrong but this was awful! Very chocolaty taste. Only cooked it for one min. and it was hard. Eatable, but hard and dense. And even an eggy taste. I might try it again and cook for a shorter time and leave out the coco. but first try I was not impressed. Sorry.

#28 angelhair45

angelhair45

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I just tried it and it came out very nice. There was no eggy taste at all. I wonder why it's eggy for some people? I am now going to experiment with different flours and such to see what else I can do with it. The possibilities seem endless. I wonder if it would still work in the oven?

#29 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

I just tried it and it came out very nice. There was no eggy taste at all. I wonder why it's eggy for some people? I am now going to experiment with different flours and such to see what else I can do with it. The possibilities seem endless. I wonder if it would still work in the oven?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't really like to use the microwave if I dont have to. Let us know how it works out.

#30 angelhair45

angelhair45

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I don't really like to use the microwave if I dont have to. Let us know how it works out.

Yeah I like to use the microwave as little as possible. I think I will try it in the oven tonight and see how it goes. I'll let update then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: