This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easy, Yummy Bread In Minutes

lonewolf

ohsotired Enthusiast

I didn't catch this thread the first time around, so I just tried this last night, and WOW!

I modified the recipe in the first post, and used all brown rice flour and left out the cocoa powder.

It was just a tiny bit dry, so next time I'll nuke it for a little less time.

It smelled kind of 'eggy' but the taste reminded me of cornbread! I can totally see adding a little corn meal in there, and maybe some honey for instant cornbread!

Will be experimenting with different flours and add-ins for sure!

Thanks for posting this!

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NamasteMama Newbie

Thank you for the recipe! I actually joined the forum after lurking just to say thank you! I tweaked the recipe a little and posted it and a picture of our bread on my blog Open Original Shared Link . I couldn't figure out how to post pictures here or I would put it here. Thanks again for the awesome recipe!

runningcrazy Contributor

Just here to say thank you!

Tonight we had vegetarian burgers(amys gluten-free/CF) bistro burger.

I made namastemama's version, 1/2 the recipe, and it was PERFECT for a bun.

I put it in a cereal bowl, perfect size, held together, great taste!

THANK YOU

purple Community Regular
Just here to say thank you!

Tonight we had vegetarian burgers(amys gluten-free/CF) bistro burger.

I made namastemama's version, 1/2 the recipe, and it was PERFECT for a bun.

I put it in a cereal bowl, perfect size, held together, great taste!

THANK YOU

Thought I'd add that my dd made a yummy grilled cheese the other day and makes herself a hamburger bun too!

We are all so thankful for this recipe :D

WideAwake Rookie

Wow this sounds amazing! I will definitely give it a go! Thanks!

Now can anyone come up with a home made gluten free microwave to oven pizza base? LOL

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Here's one idea I got addicted to. I used:

1/4 cup Bob's pancake mix

1 egg

2 tsp-ish of flax seed

2 tbsp pumpkin puree

1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup

You have to micro it longer than the original because it's got the pumpkin and flax, but oh man is that tasty. Also tasty with lemon juice and maple syrup and flax, instead of pumpkin.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I made these for burgers a while ago and overcooked a few by accident. They were too dry to eat but I threw them in the freezer. I pulled them out today and whirled them in the food processor with garlic, onion and paprika. I used it to coat chicken. OH MY! Were these good! It was a ringer for Chick-fil-a. The crumbs get very, very fine. Now I will purposely overcook some each time so I can have them as bread crumbs. ;)

This keeps getting better for us!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I made these for burgers a while ago and overcooked a few by accident. They were too dry to eat but I threw them in the freezer. I pulled them out today and whirled them in the food processor with garlic, onion and paprika. I used it to coat chicken. OH MY! Were these good! It was a ringer for Chick-fil-a. The crumbs get very, very fine. Now I will purposely overcook some each time so I can have them as bread crumbs. ;)

This keeps getting better for us!

OHH!!!! I never thought of that, cheap bread crumbs!!

Dude, you rock.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Dude, you rock.

Dude, you rock.

Aw shucks....I'm happy to share.

These prompted my daughter to ask me, "Do you think you are the best gluten-free cook in the world?" High praise!

Wait until you actually eat something made with it! :D

HAHAHAHA!!! I have friends who bribe me to cook. My uncle does house repairs in exchange for food. I don't think gluten-free cooking has to suck, not by a long shot.

ranger Enthusiast

A good cooks a good cook- no matter what the limitations.

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you Liz and everyone else for keeping this thread going...I missed it until today!

Couldn't wait to get home to try it, although I must admit I was a bit skeptical as it sounded to good to be true...easy and tasty????

Rather than stop at the store to pick up almond and flax meal, I ground whole almonds and flax seed in the blender and used about half the cocoa.

Mixed it all up, threw it in the micro. Waited the 90 seconds with my 15 year old son that has been gluten-free for three months...chatted about how it probably wouldn't work - but would be very nice if it did.

OMGoodness it worked and tasted fantastic to both of us and another son that still eats reg bread. Very similar to whole wheat bread in taste, texture and color....can't wait to use it regularly, especially to throw in the purse for burgers when we eat out or at other people's homes.

Immediately mixed up enough of the dry ingredients for 24 so that we are ready to make bread anytime.

Thanks again...easy yummy bread just in time to pack sandwiches for school next week! :D

WideAwake Rookie

I have thyroid issues. What can I replace the flaxmeal with?

GottaSki Mentor
I have thyroid issues. What can I replace the flaxmeal with?

I'm new to the recipe, but my best guess would be to double the almond meal and leave out the flax meal?

Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
WideAwake Rookie

Please help :huh:

I made the original recipe (not the one in the first post) and it was thick and eggy. I substituted buckwheat for the flax meal. It came out flat, quite chewy (not like bread) and definitely has an eggy taste. It's sort of like a really odd omelette LOL

It is also very very dry - quite hard to swallow. :wacko:

Any ideas on what I did wrong? I microwaved it for about 1 minute 15 (our mw is quite powerful).

I definitely wont be trying that particular mixture again!

ranger Enthusiast
Thank you Liz and everyone else for keeping this thread going...I missed it until today!

Couldn't wait to get home to try it, although I must admit I was a bit skeptical as it sounded to good to be true...easy and tasty????

Rather than stop at the store to pick up almond and flax meal, I ground whole almonds and flax seed in the blender and used about half the cocoa.

Mixed it all up, threw it in the micro. Waited the 90 seconds with my 15 year old son that has been gluten-free for three months...chatted about how it probably wouldn't work - but would be very nice if it did.

OMGoodness it worked and tasted fantastic to both of us and another son that still eats reg bread. Very similar to whole wheat bread in taste, texture and color....can't wait to use it regularly, especially to throw in the purse for burgers when we eat out or at other people's homes.

Immediately mixed up enough of the dry ingredients for 24 so that we are ready to make bread anytime.

Thanks again...easy yummy bread just in time to pack sandwiches for school next week! :D

Can you print the measurements for 24 buns?

BethJ Rookie

Add me to the list of those who have made this, loved it and are just now getting around to thanking you. This is the easiest most versatile recipe ever. It's so easy to substitute ingredients and if it doesn't work out, you're not out a lot of money.

Although the round custard dish is nice for buns and eating hot from the oven, I found a little square glass dish that is perfect for a loaf. After it's cool, you can make thin slices that are square. I'll always remember my first gluten-free turkey, lettuce and mayo sandwich! I think I got about 4 slices out of one "loaf."

Oh, I almost forgot. I added about a tablespoon of sunflower seeds to the batter and it's very similar to those great multigrain breads we used to enjoy.

GottaSki Mentor
Can you print the measurements for 24 buns?

Magic Micro Bread Mix (24 individual buns)

Mix the following in a gallon ziplock:

3 Cups Brown Rice Flour

1 1/2 Cups Almond Meal

1 1/2 Cups Flax Meal

1/4 Cup Baking Powder

3/8 Cup Sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/8 Cup Cocoa (optional)

Then follow regular recipe:

Spray custard or larger dish with non-stick

Beat one large egg

Mix in 1/3 Cup of mix

Microwave for 90 seconds

GottaSki Mentor

ps...the salt was hard to get a measure on...I use a salt grinder and give a couple grinds per serving...might want to start with 1/2 teaspoon salt for 24.

purple Community Regular

Today, I made my dd a BLT, toasted the bread first. Then I made apple crisp with the flour mixture and gluten-free oatmeal. She really enjoyed her lunch...Thanks again for the recipe! I used ground flax/ almonds/ sunflower nuts and sorghum/millet flours.

• 4 months later...
Frances03 Enthusiast

WOW!!! I finally got around to trying this bread! I made the recipe in the original post and it was fanTAStic!!! I have tried baking 3 different gluten free bread recipes from various famous cookbooks and the were all HORRIBLE. Tasted like you baked up a giant loaf of pillsbury crescent rolls, which is tasty if you want a pastry but NOT good for sandwich bread! This recipe is PERFECT! It looks just like bread, felt just like bread and tasted NORMAL and not WEIRD!!! I am so thankful to you for posting this. We immediately sliced it into 4 round slices, and put mustard and cheese on it! My entire family hasn't had a sandwich in months and now we can. Also today I found golden flax meal at costco for about $9.75 for a 5 lb bag! This was a great price as flax seed was almost 4 dollars for 12 ounces at the grocery store. I'm going to try making my own almond meal in my Vitamix after I use up the store bought bag. Thank you SOOOOOO much, I have no desire to even continue making regular baked bread! and just think in the summer you dont have to turn on your oven and heat up the house!!!

Roda Rising Star

So far this is still my favorite bread to make a sandwich with. I mix up a single batch and spread it in a rectanglar glass dish and microwave for about 70 sec. I have substituted the brown rice flour with sorghum and did not like the taste as much. I also have used half brown rice/sorghum flour and it tasted much better. I still prefer it with its original ingredients. I have been adding a little canola or olive oil to it so it is not as dry. It tastes good toasted but crumbles easily.

lonewolf Collaborator

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about this thread. My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in July and we've been doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I don't know why I haven't modified this recipe to make bread for him. No grains, but I think I'll try all almond meal. Has anyone tried this without baking powder? He can't have that. Maybe I'll try a pinch of soda to replace it.

I've been making a soft and yummy flat bread with eggs, almond meal, butter, honey and salt and it's good too. If anyone wants the recipe for that I'll post it.

Takala Enthusiast

With baking soda, just add a bit of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (acidic liquid) to activate it. I make quick breads with almond meal and have always used this and not baking powder.

wildwood Apprentice

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about this thread. My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in July and we've been doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I don't know why I haven't modified this recipe to make bread for him. No grains, but I think I'll try all almond meal. Has anyone tried this without baking powder? He can't have that. Maybe I'll try a pinch of soda to replace it.

I've been making a soft and yummy flat bread with eggs, almond meal, butter, honey and salt and it's good too. If anyone wants the recipe for that I'll post it.

May I have the recipe please?

Archived