#46 BFreeman

BFreeman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!! HE ATE IT!!
I made this simple recipe in literally 3 minutes from start to finish in a glass pyrex measuring cup. I put it in the fridge to cool for a minute afterwards and then cut it into 4 slices. I made nutella sandwiches with it and HE ATE IT!! My son, 9, who will be going gluten free after his scope in July actually ate a gluten-free bread :)

Thank you!!

Kathy, mom to Jakob, 9

Kathy, did you use the two-cup measuring cup and the regular proportion of ingredients? Did it rise enough to do four slices top to bottom?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 kaiess

kaiess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

Kathy, did you use the two-cup measuring cup and the regular proportion of ingredients? Did it rise enough to do four slices top to bottom?

I made the original recipe listed at the start of the thread. I didn't have almond meal so I put almonds in the blender and used that. Put it in a 500mL glass measuring cup and cooked it on high for 85 seconds. I sliced it horizontally so we got circular pieces and then I put Nutella in between and we both ate it :)

I have to admit I have to play with it a bit more b/c it was a little dry, but it was edible compared to any other recipes I've baked over the last few weeks since starting this gluten-free journey. Most of my other ones came out with a strong yeast smell/flavour but decent texture.......nothing my husband or kids would eat!!

I love how easy this recipe is though and how it's quick and minimal ingredients so we can play around and not waste $$/engery like crazy.

Kathy

#48 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks much for the recipe Lonewolf!

I made a version of this recipe using Tom Sawyer flour. I kind of winged it on the measurements, not really measuring. My first try didn't really rise. But the 2nd time I added just a couple drops of lemon juice and it rose just fine. I made the batter/dough somewhat thicker than pancake batter, put it in a pan with some olive oil and a lid on it. I let it cook for a few minutes and then flipped it over. I don't think the flipping over really helped anything but seemed like a good idea. Since I didn't follow the directions real well, I can't say for sure how mine compared, but it made kind of flat scone type shape, more risen and higher in the center than a pancake would be.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#49 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

Mmm, sorghum flour sounds great! I like it, but don't buy it because it's so much more expensive than rice flour here. I'll have to get some anyway to try it.

I'm glad that you're having success with this easy recipe too! I mixed up a ziploc bag full of the ingredients and now just measure 1/4 Cup with an egg when I need a "bun".

The original recipe is low carb and actually pretty good if you like really nutty whole grain type stuff. It is 1 Egg, 2 Tbs. Almond Meal, 2 Tbs. Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a shake of salt. Make it the same way. It's heavier, but still tastes good. I eat one for breakfast when I want something filling and low carb. Lots of fiber too!

Liz, just had to thank you for this recipe....I've tried the brown rice flour and sorghum flour versions and they both came out great! I've even been keeping ziploc bags full of the mix handy in the fridge so that I can make sandwich buns quickly. I really like the taste and texture; I made a wonderful chicken sandwich today with one of those buns! My husband likes them too; he just recently found out that he is gluten intolerant so he was very happy to know that he could have delicious hamburger buns so quickly and easily.

Thanks again!
JoAnn
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#50 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

I made 4 batches of the dry ingred. and parked it in the fridge. Yesterday, all I had to was measure 5 Tbs of the mix with an egg and it worked! So I didn't have to drag out and measure all the ingred. Took no time. The choco cake didn't work so well, but I used 3 Tbs. of gluten-free flour, 1 1/2 Tbs. cocao powder, 1/2 tsp. bk pw, 2 Tbs. sugar, then added 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 tsp. oil to the egg. Mixed it up, put in in a cereal bowl, nuked it for 85 sec (next time I'll try 80) and got myself the cutest lil' choc cake in the world! Susan

#51 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

Angelhair45.....I live in a dry climate and an elevation of 4050 feet . I tried your recipe, and it came out great!! I've tried experimenting with different flour blends, and so far yours has worked out the best....very moist. I nuked it at 80.

Living Without magazine has a recipe for an all purpose flour mix using 5 flours, and when I have time I will experiment with their mixture to see if I can come up with a "white" hamburger version.

#52 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I also made a breakfast version of this and took it along on my trip. I added lemon peel, ginger and nutmeg and raisins nuked it and tossed it in a baggy. It traveled well and with a bit of orange juice was a great way to start the day.

I also added dry onion, sage and rosemary and made a single persons dinner roll.

It is just such a cool idea to play with. Some batches come out dry without the flax seed, so i just add a few drops of olive oil or vegetable oil It does not take much.

It is nice to have such a fun and flexible idea.

sorry the chocolate cake did not work for you. Keep playing with it though till you get it right!

#53 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm so glad that all of you are having success with this! I don't know how many times I've been in a hurry and made a quick "bun" and eaten it for breakfast. It has protein and fiber and takes no time at all to whip up.

Keep sharing your experiments too!
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#54 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

anybody try ham and cheese and things like that, to make a portable "meal"? Gonna try it later. Will let you know if it works.

#55 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

anybody try ham and cheese and things like that, to make a portable "meal"? Gonna try it later. Will let you know if it works.

I have put cheese in one and it worked pretty good. Hemp seeds also are a good nutrition addition. You can really add anything just think of it as a portable omelet with flour in it.

#56 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thank you for the post! :)

I just went Rice Free a week ago and am in a jam about sandwich bread-

Will make it today (I got all the ingredients - will be doing Sorgrahm & Flax)

Organic ham & lettuce in the fridge!

wahoo!!! ;)
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#57 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

added 2 oz. ham, 1 oz. grated cheddar, and some dried onions. Turned out really good. And I got fresh bread on a really hot day without having to turn on the oven ( another big plus)!

#58 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

Made it last night with Sorghum (sorry I spelled it wrong before HAHA) and Flax. Turned out DIVINE!!!

Had some sweet potato fries with it :D

Making more tonight thank you again for sharing! B)

lovelove
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#59 susiequsie

susiequsie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Made it last night with Sorghum (sorry I spelled it wrong before HAHA) and Flax. Turned out DIVINE!!!

Had some sweet potato fries with it :D

Making more tonight thank you again for sharing! B)

lovelove

I was rereading this thread intending to try this recipe. I know you said you tried sorghum, but did you mean as the entire flour in the recipe or to replace one of the flours?

#60 wendstress

wendstress

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

Tried it for lunch today with 1/3 cup of Pamela's Baking Mix in place of the rice/flax/almond ingredients (because it was what I had!).

Turned out just fine.... Has potential for futher experimentation, too!

Made a few baggies of just the dry ingredients for future needs. How easy can it be????

Thanks for making life just a little easier!
Dx with Celiac Disease on 12/31/08, went gluten-free shortly after
Dx with Gastritis and Lymphocytic Colitis on 3/4/09
Summer 2009 - Lite on the Caffeine and Dairy

Mom to 2 amazing boys: James - 4, and Alex - 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: