104 replies to this topic

#61 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

i'm going to have to try this when i get home from work today... this is the first time i am seeing this! just out of curiosity... what is the importance of the cocoa in this?

i don't have all of those ingredients at home, so i am going to try it with my gluten free flour blend (potato, tapioca, white rice), and maybe sprinkle some italian seasonings in there with a dash of olive oil... how does that sound????

thanks for the great idea!
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 PhillyCeliacTriathlete

PhillyCeliacTriathlete

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

I think I am going to borrow some egg replacer from another friend of mine to try it. I don't have a problem with eggs, so I don't want to buy a whole box of it. I microwaved it for 4 1/2 minutes, so just triple the original cooking time. I liked it so much I have eaten three sandwiches today. My hips will thank me later. :lol:

I found an AWESOME hamburger bun recipe (taken from http://glutenfreetri...s-for-the-bbq/). Check it out. It makes the ideal hamburger bun. AND it's not too expensive.

My family always says the worst part about having gluten-free mixes is over-spending on ingredients and this recipe isn't that expensive. ENJOY. It tastes good with gluten-free ketchup.

#63 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

just out of curiosity... what is the importance of the cocoa in this?

The cocoa isn't really important at all. I just like the darker look of the bread, since I was a "whole wheat and honey" type person before going gluten-free. You can easily leave it out.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#64 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

ok Liz, all i have to say is - OMG thank you for this recipe! i ran home from work and tried this right away yesterday bc i was so curious as to how it would come out... i made mine like this:

beat up an egg with some olive oil & sea salt in a cup

whisked together the dry ingredients:
2T Pamela's baking mix
1/2 T Cornstarch
1 1/2 T Brown Rice Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sugar
1T Italian Seasonings

poured the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stirred/folded with a rubber spatula until it was well mixed and slightly doughy... then i sprayed a small cereal bowl with PAM olive oil, dropped the dough in and topped with some dried minced onion, dried basil and fresh black pepper. then 90 seconds in the microwave, and much to my amazement, out popped a moist, spongy, delicious, cake-like bread concoction (and the herbs were a great touch). this could easily be used as a warm bun for a cheeseburger. i was shocked. i made a small sandwich and enjoyed it. this would also be great just dipped in olive oil as a starter with din din. yum!

thanks again!!!
Joe

#65 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

ok i tried another two concoctions last night... same mix of dry ingredients, with pamela's baking mix, brown rice flour and cornstarch:

(1) i used italian seasonings & grated romano cheese in the dough, then layered some turkey pepperoni and grated cheese in the middle before cooking. also topped with dried basil, dried minced onion and black pepper before cooking

(2) added a little more sugar and vanilla extract to the dough; then added brown sugar to the egg (and a dash of canola oil) and mixed it in my magic bullet blender. then i dumped in the dry ingredients and mixed the dough in there (which worked quite nicely). i poured it into the cereal bowl for baking and topped it with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon. this one came out really really tasty for a sweet muffin type of snack. i also had some leftover vanilla frosting from cupcakes i made this weekend and i was in heaven
Joe

#66 The gluten-free Greener

The gluten-free Greener

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thank you for the recipe!
I didn't have any time to bake a loaf of bread before class today, with all the measuring of flours and mixing and waiting for the yeast to rise...and I just saw this, so I tried it right away with sorghum flour instead of the rice. It was quite nice with almond butter and jam! All I had to microwave it in was a Pyrex measuring cup. If anyone else is baking it in something similar, I think it helps to flip the loaf over partway through the cooking time, so it is not too wet on the bottom.

I've never used a microwave for actually cooking before - just heating up leftovers and such. I have seen a recipe for microwaved gluten-free chocolate cake in a coffee mug, though, so maybe I will have to try that too!

#67 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for the recipe!
I didn't have any time to bake a loaf of bread before class today, with all the measuring of flours and mixing and waiting for the yeast to rise...and I just saw this, so I tried it right away with sorghum flour instead of the rice. It was quite nice with almond butter and jam! All I had to microwave it in was a Pyrex measuring cup. If anyone else is baking it in something similar, I think it helps to flip the loaf over partway through the cooking time, so it is not too wet on the bottom.

I've never used a microwave for actually cooking before - just heating up leftovers and such. I have seen a recipe for microwaved gluten-free chocolate cake in a coffee mug, though, so maybe I will have to try that too!

1. I put it on a paper towel after removing it from the dish to absorb moisture
2. To me, the cake in a mug was eggy, I don't like eggy taste
3. The brownie in a mug was really good and no egg
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#68 A&Z'S MOM

A&Z'S MOM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

:rolleyes:
Thank you..its been a year since we have had any kind of bread..its wonderful and perfect for sandwiches..tried it yesterday with my dd 7yrs...it was exciting to watch it cook!!!Bless You....this forum has become our rock.......our journey to be gluten-free started a yr ago..and i would not have lasted with out the support of the folks( Like u :rolleyes: ) at the forum !!!!loved it loved it!!!

#69 songstressc

songstressc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

I'm so glad that all of you are having success with this! I don't know how many times I've been in a hurry and made a quick "bun" and eaten it for breakfast. It has protein and fiber and takes no time at all to whip up.

Keep sharing your experiments too!

I tried the original recipe tonight and we had burgers on buns for the first time since going Gluten-Free! This is great and opens up ideas for many things! Thanks for the post!! :rolleyes:

#70 kelly4me

kelly4me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

I am really excited. I tried this with 3T Pamela's Mix and 1T Almond Meal, 80 seconds in our microwave and it was pretty darn good. It was quick, easy and the texture was much better than a lot of the gluten-free breads that we've tried. DS ate it with peanut butter. The fact that I can make it on the fly is so great. Thanks!

#71 CountryStar

CountryStar

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:08 AM

:D
This is super cool! Very fun to make!!
I just did 4 Tbsp. Brown Rice Flour and it worked out pretty well. I suggested it to my mom who has decided to try the gluten free diet. She doesn't like the texture of the store bought bread so maybe she will like this.
I liked it :P I think part of the whole thing may be though that i FEEL so much better on the diet that if things taste alittle different it doesn't matter ;)
Thank you for sharing the recipe.
You gain strength, courage, and confidence
by every experience in which you really stop
to look fear in the face. You must do the thing
you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

#72 kristy1129

kristy1129

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

Here is a spin off of that recipe that I got from Trader Joe's...there are tons of people on another group I belong to that love it!!

1/4 c Almond meal (ONLY 3.99/lb - WAY cheaper than everywhere else)
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Egg - well beaten
1 Tbsp Canola oil (I use grapeseed oil)
1 Tbsp Agave Sweetener

Mix dry & wet ingredients separately and then together.
Pour batter into coffee cup that has been lightly sprayed with a non-stick spray.
Microwave on high for 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds
Invert over plate; should fall out easily.
Top it off with a little butter or all-fruit spread.

You could also put some fruits or whatever in it. It's also great with some brown sugar.

--
Tonight I subbed the cinnamon with Garlic Powder and garlic salt. It was a bit too sweet, but so great to have fresh moist garlic 'bread'
I'll further experiment, but totally love this!

#73 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Anyone have trouble with the bun coming out royally funkified shapes with holes in the middle?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#74 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

Anyone have trouble with the bun coming out royally funkified shapes with holes in the middle?

I called my holes "craters" but my dd didn't even notice them and she is 20! I haven't noticed them since. You can also turn the top bun slice outside-in...lol! ...or the whole thing upsidedown? :lol:

I always love your descriptions :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#75 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

I called my holes "craters" but my dd didn't even notice them and she is 20! I haven't noticed them since. You can also turn the top bun slice outside-in...lol! ...or the whole thing upsidedown? :lol:

I always love your descriptions :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

I know, I'm a goof. It came out looking like a demented mushroom, but my microwave is on crack compared to other people's, I lowered the power setting and that helped a bit.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: