104 replies to this topic

#76 ohsotired

ohsotired

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

I didn't catch this thread the first time around, so I just tried this last night, and WOW!
I modified the recipe in the first post, and used all brown rice flour and left out the cocoa powder.
It was just a tiny bit dry, so next time I'll nuke it for a little less time.
It smelled kind of 'eggy' but the taste reminded me of cornbread! I can totally see adding a little corn meal in there, and maybe some honey for instant cornbread!

Will be experimenting with different flours and add-ins for sure!

Thanks for posting this!
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 NamasteMama

NamasteMama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the recipe! I actually joined the forum after lurking just to say thank you! I tweaked the recipe a little and posted it and a picture of our bread on my blog http://evolutiondiapers.com/blog/?p=5 . I couldn't figure out how to post pictures here or I would put it here. Thanks again for the awesome recipe!

#78 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

Just here to say thank you!
Tonight we had vegetarian burgers(amys gluten-free/CF) bistro burger.
I made namastemama's version, 1/2 the recipe, and it was PERFECT for a bun.
I put it in a cereal bowl, perfect size, held together, great taste!
THANK YOU
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#79 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Just here to say thank you!
Tonight we had vegetarian burgers(amys gluten-free/CF) bistro burger.
I made namastemama's version, 1/2 the recipe, and it was PERFECT for a bun.
I put it in a cereal bowl, perfect size, held together, great taste!
THANK YOU

Thought I'd add that my dd made a yummy grilled cheese the other day and makes herself a hamburger bun too!
We are all so thankful for this recipe :D
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#80 WideAwake

WideAwake

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Wow this sounds amazing! I will definitely give it a go! Thanks!

Now can anyone come up with a home made gluten free microwave to oven pizza base? LOL

#81 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Here's one idea I got addicted to. I used:
1/4 cup Bob's pancake mix
1 egg
2 tsp-ish of flax seed
2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup

You have to micro it longer than the original because it's got the pumpkin and flax, but oh man is that tasty. Also tasty with lemon juice and maple syrup and flax, instead of pumpkin.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#82 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

I made these for burgers a while ago and overcooked a few by accident. They were too dry to eat but I threw them in the freezer. I pulled them out today and whirled them in the food processor with garlic, onion and paprika. I used it to coat chicken. OH MY! Were these good! It was a ringer for Chick-fil-a. The crumbs get very, very fine. Now I will purposely overcook some each time so I can have them as bread crumbs. ;)

This keeps getting better for us!

#83 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

I made these for burgers a while ago and overcooked a few by accident. They were too dry to eat but I threw them in the freezer. I pulled them out today and whirled them in the food processor with garlic, onion and paprika. I used it to coat chicken. OH MY! Were these good! It was a ringer for Chick-fil-a. The crumbs get very, very fine. Now I will purposely overcook some each time so I can have them as bread crumbs. ;)

This keeps getting better for us!

OHH!!!! I never thought of that, cheap bread crumbs!!

Dude, you rock.

#84 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Dude, you rock.
[/quote]

Aw shucks....I'm happy to share.

These prompted my daughter to ask me, "Do you think you are the best gluten-free cook in the world?" High praise!

Wait until you actually eat something made with it! :D

#85 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Dude, you rock.

Aw shucks....I'm happy to share.

These prompted my daughter to ask me, "Do you think you are the best gluten-free cook in the world?" High praise!

Wait until you actually eat something made with it! :D

HAHAHAHA!!! I have friends who bribe me to cook. My uncle does house repairs in exchange for food. I don't think gluten-free cooking has to suck, not by a long shot.

#86 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

A good cooks a good cook- no matter what the limitations.

#87 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

Thank you Liz and everyone else for keeping this thread going...I missed it until today!

Couldn't wait to get home to try it, although I must admit I was a bit skeptical as it sounded to good to be true...easy and tasty????

Rather than stop at the store to pick up almond and flax meal, I ground whole almonds and flax seed in the blender and used about half the cocoa.

Mixed it all up, threw it in the micro. Waited the 90 seconds with my 15 year old son that has been gluten-free for three months...chatted about how it probably wouldn't work - but would be very nice if it did.

OMGoodness it worked and tasted fantastic to both of us and another son that still eats reg bread. Very similar to whole wheat bread in taste, texture and color....can't wait to use it regularly, especially to throw in the purse for burgers when we eat out or at other people's homes.

Immediately mixed up enough of the dry ingredients for 24 so that we are ready to make bread anytime.

Thanks again...easy yummy bread just in time to pack sandwiches for school next week! :D

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#88 WideAwake

WideAwake

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

I have thyroid issues. What can I replace the flaxmeal with?

#89 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

I have thyroid issues. What can I replace the flaxmeal with?

I'm new to the recipe, but my best guess would be to double the almond meal and leave out the flax meal?

Good Luck!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#90 WideAwake

WideAwake

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

Please help :huh:

I made the original recipe (not the one in the first post) and it was thick and eggy. I substituted buckwheat for the flax meal. It came out flat, quite chewy (not like bread) and definitely has an eggy taste. It's sort of like a really odd omelette LOL

It is also very very dry - quite hard to swallow. :wacko:

Any ideas on what I did wrong? I microwaved it for about 1 minute 15 (our mw is quite powerful).

I definitely wont be trying that particular mixture again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: