This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hand Washing

weluvgators

weluvgators Explorer

What do you all do if you find yourself without hand washing facilities? I am amazed at how often my DD finds herself in this situation. Today they were rushed in Sunday school, and she felt like her hands were fairly clean. But I would love suggestions for her to have in her bag for hand washing on the go. Should we just use a baby wipe? This is not a primary solution, but not having a backup plan is a bit of a bummer for her too. The hand wash facilities are often far away, and it seems hard to manage when young (she is 5 yo), I think. I will review with the teacher next week, but I am hoping someone has a great portable idea too!

In our car we use a jug of water and foam soap with cloth and/or paper towels. We use it often on the road and at parks.

So does a baby/wet wipe work? We have always focused on soap and running water, but we continue to struggle with this!

And, do you carry your own soap with you? It seems silly to use random soaps that have no ingredients listed when we are out, and we *seem* to have gotten away with it in the past. But it seems prudent to just have our own soap with us too. What do you do?

I would love to hear your experiences with hand washing routines!

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor

Alcohol-based wipes should do in a pinch.

foodiegurl Collaborator

I am by no means an expert, as I am new to this, but I have been using Purell alcohol hand wash. even though, I am not crazy about using it, but I figure it will kill germs. I also have a non-alcohol, organic hand spray i bought at Whole Foods a while ago, called Clean Well, by Ingenium. i usually use these on my daughter (not celiac) and myself after washing our hands, or if she is in the car and wants to eat and hasn't washed her hands...just because I am OCD like that :P

I had bought them this winter to avoid the flu, since we don't do flu shots.

weluvgators Explorer
I am by no means an expert, as I am new to this, but I have been using Purell alcohol hand wash.

Well, the germs I am not really concerned as much about. The gluten, however, I want to eliminate!! We have not done hand wash because I don't see how that gets gluten off of the hand. Ugh!! I really want to do experiments! Where is the gluten lab??

foodiegurl Collaborator
Well, the germs I am not really concerned as much about. The gluten, however, I want to eliminate!! We have not done hand wash because I don't see how that gets gluten off of the hand. Ugh!! I really want to do experiments! Where is the gluten lab??

Maybe I read on here before that alcohol kills gluten? Anyone?

psawyer Proficient
Maybe I read on here before that alcohol kills gluten? Anyone?

Maybe you did, but it isn't true. If it was, we would be able to drink beer, wouldn't we?

I do recall a post that claimed that gluten was soluble in alcohol, but that isn't relevant, even if true.

FarmCat Newbie

What about carrying some disposable rubber gloves to slip on before eating, if you can't wash your hands? You can get a big box of them very cheaply at lumber supply/hardware stores. They sell them for painters and other people who want to keep chemicals off their hands.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hermitgirl Contributor

Many of the hand sanitizers have tocopherol, or vitamin e for a moisturizer. Unless you have verified with the company that their source for either is not wheat be carefull. The only company that has ever responded to my question of their gluten and wheat status was Lysol. I have been glutened by hand sanitizers in the past, as you do not rinse the residue off before you eat. I personally do not use any of them anymore, as I never liked the way they left my skin feeling. I have seen gluten free handi wipe type things at my local health food store, in the cleaning section. I don't remember the brand though.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

When I feel there will be a need I put a soapy wet wash cloth in a baggie and carry another one with just water on it and something to dry my hands with. Kind of simplistic but I don't care for the hand sanitizers.

Archived