This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Help - Have Awful Migraine

samsaracat

samsaracat Newbie

I have an awful migraine - luckily it's receding. Please - what do you do to make it stop?

It's a pressure headache, light-, odor-, sound-sensitivity. BAD nausea. Possible triggers: ate some fudge, low blood sugar, stressful workday, licked a big envelope. I'm gluten and casein intolerant. Have taken 2 Advil, drank some coffee - took a quick nap and ate some rice.

Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I have no good answers for you. You've done all the things I would have done. Only recommendation I have, if you get migraines frequently (and don't want to go the prescription route) is have advil with you always, and take some the minute you know you're getting a headache. It's easier to stop it before it starts.

tarnalberry Community Regular

talk to your doctor about having prescription migraine meds on hand - they work far better than over the counter meds for most (not all) people. if you get them chronically (at least once a week), you might look into preventative meds.

some people find a COLD shower can help (not that it's comfortable, but can help the migraine end). for some, caffeine triggers one; for others, it can help. getting enough calcium and magnesium and coQ10 (like 1000mg magnesium and 400mg coQ10 (approx) per day) may help some people prevent/lessen them.

additionally, if they're caused by tension/posture, you may find PT and/or chiro to be helpful at reducing and/or eliminating them.

(this assumes you've eliminated food/chemical/air triggers, of course.)

RiceGuy Collaborator

The two things that would give me migraines were an intestinal yeast overgrowth, and gluten. I agree with the comment about magnesium. It does help. Not only because it increases blood flow, but it strengthens the blood/brain barrier. Plus it does help move toxins out of the body faster.

If sugar triggers your migraines, you might want to look into the possibility of candida. But licking that envelope could certainly be a part of it, if not entirely.

How long have you been gluten-free?

I hope you feel better soon!

quietmorning01 Explorer

A cold wet cloth - or an ice pack, if you can stand it, really helps me when I have a migrain. Changing my diet COMPLETELY helped - no migrains in a GOOD two weeks. But migrains have a lot of different causes.

Oh. . .and I try to take a decongestant if at all possible just in case it's a bad sinus headache and I'm mistaking it - sometimes that clears it right up. . .for me, my sinus headaches make me just as ill.

Hope you feel better soon!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

You might find this article helpful: Open Original Shared Link

mindiloo Rookie

I used to get migraines very often and Excedrine Migraine, a cold eye covering, and a very cold bathroom floor were always my solution (it often made me vomit as well).

Stress and my period would give me migraines...maybe the gluten mixed with the stressful day caused yours?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

It's a pressure headache, light-, odor-, sound-sensitivity. BAD nausea. Possible triggers: ate some fudge, low blood sugar, stressful workday, licked a big envelope. I'm gluten and casein intolerant. Have taken 2 Advil, drank some coffee - took a quick nap and ate some rice.

What kind of fudge? I come from a candy making family and regular fudge is mostly milk. I know I cannot eat it at all.

I don't have migraines but my DD is prone to them. I started her on a product called Migreleaf

Open Original Shared Link, and it helped her a lot. Fewer migraines and when she has them they are shorter in duration. The link will give you the ingredients.

My assistant's son is having terrible problems with migraines. The Migreleaf helped him too until he started getting sinus infections. I'm reading a book on magnesium and his Mom is going to start him on this recommended by the book;

Migraine Treatment

Identify food allergies that may trigger migraines

Magnesium: 300 mg one to two times a day

Calcium: 500 mg twice a day

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 400 mg per day

Vitamin B complex: 50 mg per day (it is necesary to take the complex to prevent imbalances if you are taking large amounts of one B vitamin)

Feverfew (tanacetum parthenium): 100 mg per day

Stress therapies

Regular exercise

Hope this helps!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I take B12 injections. One thing I noticed after starting them is my migraines reduced. Have a friend who will compain about her migraines once every few months. I'll ask her if she forgot her B12--yep.

Not saying this will help you but you could talk to your doctor about it. With celiac disease absorbtion is a problem.

Archived