This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Diet May Help 2 Other Med Problems

Silly Yaks

Silly Yaks Newbie

Folks w/ Celiac Disease certainly help other folks they know w/ celiac disease, maybe a new restaurant, new bakery, etc. OK, but here's what's interesting and maybe worthwhile for celiac disease folks that know friends/relatives w/ two (2) other problems. Here goes:

1. For quite some time, we've had parents tell us how switching to a gluten-free diet has dramatically helped their children with autism. It's not a cure, but strong improvement in behavior. I know this was mentioned on the Oprah Winfrey show, but I'm interested in sharing this and hearing back if anyone else has heard/witnessed the same.

2. Then recently, we've had 2 ladies (each unknown to the other), tell us how much their Fibromyalgia condition has improved after switching to a gluten-free Diet. Again, has anyone heard or witnessed this as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I have Fibromyalgia and I know it has improved on a gluten-free diet.

Today I was talking to a care-giver. They had a child with Downs Syndrome who's behavior's improved after being put on a gluten-free diet.

I can't image anyone who's behavior's wouldn't improve if they needed to be gluten free. The pain from eating gluten is terrible.

• 3 weeks later...
shandango Newbie

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000. Since being gluten free I have felt a million times better.

I didn't know about Celiac until 2005 and suffered for many years with pain, fatigue, stomach issues, etc.

Knowing about gluten and my other food issues has helped bring my life back.

I wish more people knew and more doctors paid attention. I have had stomach problems since I was 10.

Nothing is perfect yet, but I think once I figure it all out I will almost be healthy again.

elye Community Regular

I have been to a number of local celiac meetings, and have spoken with many people who had other "conditions" improve greatly, even disappear, once on the gluten-free diet. A young girl with fibromyalgia, two ladies with rheumatoid arthritis, a man with epiliepsy whose seizures completely ceased.....and many whose depression lifted, some to the point where they were able to stop their medications. I have often found myself questioning the existence of some illnesses, now that I have witnessed the myriad symptoms of celiac/gluten intolerance and their suggestion of other conditions.

My son was never diagnosed with autism, but he struggled greatly in school, couldn't focus or concentrate, and was a very moody, tired child. He decided to go gluten-free after a negative blood test (being well aware of false negatives), and the rest is history. He became a different boy, and an A student. :)

Mrs. Smith Explorer

I too have noticed a huge improvement in my fibromyalgia and nerve pain by eating gluten free. I have so many more good days than bad! I also have WAY mor energy than I ever have! I'm no longer a couch potato!!

Generic Apprentice

Unfortunatley for me that isn't true. I was diagnosed with fibro about 5 years ago. I have been gluten free for 21 years. I wish I could find something to improve my symptoms.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Generic,

There is treatment for fibromyalgia, no one should suffer with it. Over five years ago I finally found a doctor who treated it with Dr Teitelbaum's method. I feel better now than I did when I was younger. So there is treatment if you are willing to follow his treatment methods. I drive 3 hours to the doctor who teats me so it not convenient but it's will worth it.

Dr Teitelbaum

Open Original Shared Link

Dr Vrchota, my letter

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived