This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stuck At Weak Positive Ttg-iga

006 Apprentice

I was diagnosed about 9 months ago. I went hard-core with gluten-free to the point where I don't eat at restaurants. In fact, I bring in tupperware! I prepare all my meals. I read the lables and write companies to verify gluten-free.. and just saying gluten-free isn't good enough. I have them tell me how they avoid cross contamination. I get a tTG-IGA about every 3 to 4 months. I got two tests over the past 30 days. Somehow, I am stuck at a weak positive result. I am either a 4 or 5 and the weak positive scale is 4 to 10. So, I tend to be on the low side of a weak positive, but clearly, I am not negative. So...

How much trouble am I in if I never pin-point the culprit food(s)? I am so fearful of the elevated cancer risk because I belive I have been triggered for aobut 15 years before finding out. I don't get any symptoms and since going gluten-free, I feel no different. If I keep getting the same blood test result, is my cancer risk level higher than a negative result of 2 or 3? Is the difference neglibible? Should I be worried?

Also, I can't find anythning that shows me concrete facts as to how much more of a cancer risk one would be if following a strictly gluten-free diet compared to one who is not Celiac. Because I have been triggered for so long without knowing, I am so afraid about being the case that develops cancer even a few years after going gluten-free. So obviously, I am obsesed over these tTG-IGA results.

I would really appreciate some facts. I'd like to get this stuff out of the forefront of my daily thoughts.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I don't know about the antibody levels and such, but I'm confident someone will be able to shed some light on it.

As for CC, that can be tricky. Perhaps if you post the foods you usually eat, someone will know how they are regarding CC.

My only other thought, is that perhaps you're sensitive to some other food, like dairy, soy, etc. If you rule out CC, then I'd consider the top allergens next, I think.

006 Apprentice

The "antibody levels" is exactly the issue for which I am seeking feedback.

Tallforagirl Rookie
The "antibody levels" is exactly the issue for which I am seeking feedback.

tTG levels may never get to zero, so I wouldn't be worrying that you're doing something wrong. The anti-gliadin IGA test is a better one for monitoring dietary compliance, since those levels increase quickly and decrease quickly with ingestion of gluten/compliance with gluten-free diet.

The cancer risk is elevated in untreated celiac, to about 3 times that of an average person, but you have to remember it's a very small risk in the first place.

If you need reassurance, perhaps you could ask for a repeat of the biopsy to see how well you are healing.

Archived