#1 valeriek

valeriek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi
i want to know if any one out there can tell me about some fatty foods. I weigh 118 and I am losing weight because I have to eat healthy now. I dont really like ice cream. What kind of candy can I have? I love almond snickers. Just want to know what I can eat to gain weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 digmom1014

digmom1014

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Well, as for fatty foods. I tend to gain weight with any kind of gluten-free carbohydrate food. (i.e. Wyldes pretzels, Pamela's cookies, gluten-free pantry mixes for cakes, cookies, etc., Trader Joe's brownie mix, Kinnikink pizza crusts) I know a lot of other folks will chime in here-everyone is different but carbs-even gluten-free ones-are my downfall!

If you talking candy-search Easter, Valentine's, and Halloween gluten-free candy on this site. I personally do not have a reaction to Reese's Peanut butter cups (the big one's not the small one's), Almond Joy's, & M&M's.

Try to gain weight the healthiest way you can. I really like the peanut butter, banana shakes I make.
1 cup milk ( I use skim now because I am older)
1 T. peanut butter
1 banana

Blend together. It really fills you up, has nutritional value, and can help you gain weight.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Carbs, sugar and goodies are fine and may help you gain weight but if you get out of balance you may wind up with other health problems. Don't give up your healthy ways. Your body will thank you. Adding healthy fats to your diet can help. Avacados, nuts and nut butters, olive oil etc. Macadamia nuts have a shocking number of calories, which is good for some of us! Track your calories and see where you are lacking. Here is a site that can help with that. http://www.thedailyplate.com/ and here is one where you can look up calories in foods and help you in choosing healthy, higher calorie foods http://www.calorie-charts.net/. I did it for a while and it helped me see some things that I was missing. Even adding more protein can up the calories and help with weight. By doing these things I've finally been able to gain weight despite being sugar-free, dairy-free and very very few carbs.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 caek_is_a_lie

caek_is_a_lie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Man, I wish I had this problem. I have the opposite...overweight and can't lose no matter what I do. :(

#5 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

Man, I wish I had this problem. I have the opposite...overweight and can't lose no matter what I do. :(

Sometimes it's the same problem-just different packaging ;)
I doubt that you would enjoy shopping in the kids section because adult sizes no longer fit or having people look at you like you are anorexic. Being just petite is hard-clothes can cost twice as much-plus it's not cute to be petite in the US like it is in some other countries. It can be very hard to gain weight for those of us with multiple dietary restrictions or underlying health problems. Plus some of us have genetics working against us too-metabolism etc. With all that I have working against me it took me more than 4 months and alot of hard work to gain 2 1/2 pounds but I finally did it. It was a huge victory!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#6 caek_is_a_lie

caek_is_a_lie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Sometimes it's the same problem-just different packaging ;)

I hear ya. I've actually been there, myself, many years ago, but lately I find myself longing to go back for a change. :rolleyes: It may not be healthy for me to think that way, but I did actually enjoy shopping in the juniors section for awhile. At least clothes felt comfortable back then, no matter what I wore. And I'm tall and was living in LA so people just looked at me like I must be some kind of model or actress. Now nothing seems to fit right, not even new. <_< Oh well.

#7 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

To the OP, it's all about calories. Consume more than you burn and you'll gain weight.

IMO, your best bet is dense, high calorie foods like nut butters and cheese (if you can handle dairy). It's quite easy to pile 3 tablespoons of peanut butter onto a PB&J sandwich or stick an extra slice of cheese on a sandwich.
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

#8 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi
i want to know if any one out there can tell me about some fatty foods. I weigh 118 and I am losing weight because I have to eat healthy now. I dont really like ice cream. What kind of candy can I have? I love almond snickers. Just want to know what I can eat to gain weight.

I hope you will consider putting on "healthy" weight and not "junk "weight. Add an extra serving of healthy protein like yogurt, eggs, fish, chicken, etc. And fresh carbs of fruit and veggies and nuts. You're body will gain a nice layer of muscle and not a layer of lumpy cellulite! :D
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#9 MammaG

MammaG

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hi

I was 14 pound underweight (according to my Dr and the BMI chart). I went gluten free and the weight came easily on. I have gained 16 pounds in just over a year. But if you are in a hurry to gain weight . . .my kids were underweight too and the nutritionalist really suggested putting extra oil into everything! (she also suggested butter but that is because my kids are still really young- otherwise stick with the oils). Oil is high in calories and if it is healthy oil (high in mono and unsaturated fats) then all the better for the heart. Extra oil when cooking eggs, cream of rice, waffle batter, really anything you can think of. In fact oddly enough because my kids are so picky they would actually take oil by the spoonful. We take Cod Liver Oil everyday. My youngest also likes carrots dipped in mayo. We also have a coffee grinder that we use for flaxseed. So we add ground flaxseed to pancakes, waffles, any baking and to toast with almond butter on it. Avocados are also full of good fat. Guacamole or avocado slices rolled in deli turkey is good too. As you know seeds and nuts are full of good oil so a trail mix is good to have within reach for munching. I'm now just discovering sweet breads. You can often find recipies of these with oil instead of butter. I love cornbread! Yummy hunting.

#10 mellowyellowmushroom

mellowyellowmushroom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

I was 14 pound underweight (according to my Dr and the BMI chart). I went gluten free and the weight came easily on. I have gained 16 pounds in just over a year. But if you are in a hurry to gain weight . . .my kids were underweight too and the nutritionalist really suggested putting extra oil into everything! (she also suggested butter but that is because my kids are still really young- otherwise stick with the oils). Oil is high in calories and if it is healthy oil (high in mono and unsaturated fats) then all the better for the heart. Extra oil when cooking eggs, cream of rice, waffle batter, really anything you can think of. In fact oddly enough because my kids are so picky they would actually take oil by the spoonful. We take Cod Liver Oil everyday. My youngest also likes carrots dipped in mayo. We also have a coffee grinder that we use for flaxseed. So we add ground flaxseed to pancakes, waffles, any baking and to toast with almond butter on it. Avocados are also full of good fat. Guacamole or avocado slices rolled in deli turkey is good too. As you know seeds and nuts are full of good oil so a trail mix is good to have within reach for munching. I'm now just discovering sweet breads. You can often find recipies of these with oil instead of butter. I love cornbread! Yummy hunting.

I've had the same problem. I was...am, twenty pounds underweight at best--I've done a lot of nut butters and nuts (like Mama above) it's helped me gain a little.

#11 Victory12

Victory12

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

I hope you will consider putting on "healthy" weight and not "junk "weight. Add an extra serving of healthy protein like yogurt, eggs, fish, chicken, etc. And fresh carbs of fruit and veggies and nuts. You're body will gain a nice layer of muscle and not a layer of lumpy cellulite! :D

True, you don't want to get chubby and saggy..lol but thick and tight..:)

#12 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:25 AM

Ditto Missysmom. I went from 110 ( 5'4") to 86 lbs. That is every bit as bad as being overwieght - I looked anorexic, even though I was I was wating plenty. I felt tired and weak. I cried when I got an accidental glance in a mirror. Since going on the gluten-free diet, I've gained 10 lbs. When I get too 100. I'm going to have a PARTY! gluten-free of course

#13 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

I'll be partying for/with you ranger! I know what a cause for celebration that is! I really get it.
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#14 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

I too am underweight (just under 6', 125-ish), but I feel good and am not losing, so I'm not going to worry about a number. Instead of fatty or carb-rich foods (which can give you other problems), I help maintain weight by drinking ensure PLUS (not the same as regular ensure). It has no gluten or lactose--which is good especially if you are still healing--but it is soy-based, so watch out if you have a soy allergy. I like the chocolate, but they need to be shaken and consumed while very cold. Otherwise, ick. Also, if you build muscle mass, you will gain weight that isn't fat and will also help tone you up for beach season attire. The two-birds approach, if you will.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

#15 ranger

ranger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

That's the trouble. I want to gain wieght but eat healthy. I think I feel good enough to start excercising again. That should help. And maybe I'll try Ensure. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: