Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vans Gluten Free Pancakes

17 posts in this topic

I didn't know vans had gluten free pancakes, :huh: but I found them this morning at Whole Foods. The box says new so, maybe you didn't know about them either. I can't wait to eat them :D

Yay!!!!!!! More gluten free stuff!!!!!!!!!

Ads by Google:
I didn't know vans had gluten free pancakes, :huh: but I found them this morning at Whole Foods. The box says new so, maybe you didn't know about them either. I can't wait to eat them :D

That's awesome! I didn't know they had gluten-free pancakes either, I thought they just had waffles. Let us know how they are. I would love a good gluten-free pancake.

Van's also introduced gluten-free cinnamon french toast sticks.

Van's also introduced gluten-free cinnamon french toast sticks.

Check the label, I noticed online it says malt extract, I contacted the company to see if it was a typo or what their response was.

Check the label, I noticed online it says malt extract, I contacted the company to see if it was a typo or what their response was.

Okay....The label for the pancakes lists malt extract. I will call monday to see what the deal with that is. That makes me mad...even if the sorce is gluten free thet should list what it is.

By the way....the pancakes were good, but I usually make my own using arrowhead mills gluten free waffle mix.....and they come out wonderful!

On their web site the pancakes and toast sticks are listed as wheat free but not gluten free. They do make things that are only wheat free, so my guess is these products are not gluten free.

For nummy amazing pancakes try pamela's mix. I throw in a drop of vanilla and they are dreamy.

Not only are the pancakes and french-toast sticks listed under "gluten free" on the Van's web site, it's labeled as such right on the front of the boxes.

http://www.vansfoods.com/product-select/gluten-free

There is a disconnect between the ingredient listings and the labeling/listing.

Yes it says...GLUTEN FREE! I'm looking at it right now, and malt extract is in the ingredients. Maybe we know more than they do. There is also a section on the back of the box that talks about their gluten free promise, and that they test there products. Maybe it is a source of gluten, but it still falls below the 10 ppm. Is it 10 or 20? Like how benifiber states their product is gluten free, but it contains wheat dextrin.......WTF

Dang! Why do they have to use soy? The Ian's are good but a pain because you have to use the oven to heat them.

That's really odd. Their website has a disconnect because when I click on "show me only wheat free" they show up and when I click on "show me only gluten free" they are not in the list. Its rather confusing.

I spoke today with a Van's customer service representative, who advised that the malt extract in the pancakes and french toast sticks is derived from barley but that the gluten is removed during processing. She told me that the ingredients are tested at various intervals during production and that any gluten present in the end product would be less than 20 parts per million (ppm), which would be within the proposed FDA requirement. Given this information, consumption of the Van's pancakes and french toast sticks is a matter of one's own comfort level.

I find the "gluten free" labeling laws (or lack thereof) so aggravating! If something had trace amounts of peanuts in it, could it be called peanut free??

What is the status of the labeling laws? Anyone?

I spoke today with a Van's customer service representative, who advised that the malt extract in the pancakes and french toast sticks is derived from barley but that the gluten is removed during processing. She told me that the ingredients are tested at various intervals during production and that any gluten present in the end product would be less than 20 parts per million (ppm), which would be within the proposed FDA requirement. Given this information, consumption of the Van's pancakes and french toast sticks is a matter of one's own comfort level.

I'm not eating them anymore.......not because they bother me physically, but the whole thing bothers me mentally. Don't you think they should just use some other form of flavoring...like with chex. What if I eat the whole box in one day....would that bring me above 20ppm? HAHA...I wonder if I could eat a whole box of pancakes :D

I received the following e-mail from Van's today:

Dear Valued Van

I wasn't aware of this controversy, but I found both these items by surprise about four weeks ago in the freezer section at our local Whole Foods and bought them, I've ate the pancakes several times (although I've made pancakes from scratch too which have actually come out great, of all the things I make it's wierd cause I cannot ever tellt he difference with pancakes for some reason) but anyways the Van pancakes are also the same, they taste like old school frozen pancakes I used to eat back in the gluten days of my life. I'm very happy with them.

I've tried the frozen Glutino french toast as well, which is decent, but it always seems to come out a bit hard/tough to cut with a fork/knife and to chew on. I need to try the french toast sticks next, which I think are made in partnership with Glutino if I read the information on the box correctly (the box actually looks like the Glutino french toast box if I remember correctly), so they are probably alot like the Glutino french toast.

Anyways just my two cents on this.

I wanted to say that I've had really good luck with the gluten-free Van's waffles (via Publix), until recently when I bought from another store. It was a box clearly labeled "Van's Apple Cinnamon gluten-free waffles". When I tasted them, though, they didn't have the same gluten-free texture that we're all used to. I ate one anyway, because it said "gluten-free" on the box (stupid, I know). It made me sick. A mislabeled box maybe?

Just something to keep any eye out for :)

According to this post, Van's will be removing the malt extract from the pancakes and french toast sticks with the next production.