2 replies to this topic

#1 plemons

plemons

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:35 PM

We have been trying to find assistive living for my celiac dad in central California. Many of the assistive living facilities are not able to accomadate my dad's diet due to the mass quantity of meals prepared for the 50+ people.
My dad would love to find an assistive living facility that can accomadate his diet.
Alternative to this would be finding someone that would like to either share their home or he could share his large home w/ another celiac senior that needs 24 hour caregovers.
Am I the only one going thru this problem of finding assistive living for a slightly frail celiac senior? It is starting to wear us and him down.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:43 AM

It is very sad that the options for a older adult with celiac are so slim. We recently had to place my great grandma (not celiac) into a assisted living facility. I have seen what they eat there, everything is a caserole or has bread, or is breaded. I couldn't imagine putting a person with celiac disease into assisted living and having them be "safe" from contamination.

Have you looked into a private nurse or home health care? Many places offer that service. The person comes in and does some light cooking and cleaning. There are even 24 hour care nurses that pretty much live with the patient. Medicare even pays for some of this if the person is elligible.

Maybe you can start your own gluten free rest home ;)

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 JUDI42MIL

JUDI42MIL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

Just me thinking here. If celiac is recognized with the american disabilties act? I think that is what it is called. And a assisted living place gets any federal funding. Wouldnt they have to provide him the food he needs for his health????
I could be way off, not sure if they recieve any fed. funding like schools and hospitals, but I would think some do.
Plus I know my dad was in a place here in texas, he had small fridge and micro in his room cause well he just flat out refused their made food.So I would make it refridgerate it and he would microwave it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: