This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chili's Restaurant

Dasmith

Dasmith Rookie

I had a horrible experience at Chili's on Saturday. I printed off the Gluten Free menu and met some friends at the restaurant. I ordered the Burger without bun, no fries, etc. and the baked potato soup.

The waiter delivers the food with fries on my plate. I said "I am sorry but you will need to take this back and re-cook the burger as I would be cross contaminated. He said "They insisted on putting the fries on your plate" (LOL) I replied, "so....I ordered it without the fries, please do as I asked and send the manager over". The manager came over and aplogized and stated that his mother has celiac disease so he understands and it will be re-cooked. So now since his mom has the illness I am feeling a bit more comfortable.

Well I eat the meal then go home and about 30 minutes later I WAS SICK.....(I am thinking they used the same plate). So I am dragging ass now....and will for a few more days till I get over being glutened...darn it!

Oh and by the way I MISS BREAD!!!! LOL

Anyway....sorry about the rant...but needed to get it out of my system.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

northernsunshine Newbie

I got very sick after eating at Chli's as well. I do not trust this chain. Outback however, is stellar at delivering the gluten-free goods.

I had a horrible experience at Chili's on Saturday. I printed off the Gluten Free menu and met some friends at the restaurant. I ordered the Burger without bun, no fries, etc. and the baked potato soup.

The waiter delivers the food with fries on my plate. I said "I am sorry but you will need to take this back and re-cook the burger as I would be cross contaminated. He said "They insisted on putting the fries on your plate" (LOL) I replied, "so....I ordered it without the fries, please do as I asked and send the manager over". The manager came over and aplogized and stated that his mother has celiac disease so he understands and it will be re-cooked. So now since his mom has the illness I am feeling a bit more comfortable.

Well I eat the meal then go home and about 30 minutes later I WAS SICK.....(I am thinking they used the same plate). So I am dragging ass now....and will for a few more days till I get over being glutened...darn it!

munkee41182 Explorer

I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience....I've never had an issue when I go.

I haven't been to Outback in years (but have been craving it lately)....My husband and I usually go to Uno's...and also have never had a problem there either.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

How frustrating! I've had a couple bad experiences at chili's as well. I asked for a gluten free menu once, and they went to go find it, brought out the chips and salsa (I asked if these were gluten-free, and was told yes). Then they finally brought me the menu (apparently they only had one, and someone else had been using it)...we were halfway through the chips by this time, and there at the top is the notice that the chips are NOT gluten free :( I was pretty upset, and because of this, I was sick all through Thanksgiving that year.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the chain restaurants. They say they follow these guidelines, but most of the chain restaurants I have been to have been so clueless I just don't even bother anymore.

hermitgirl Contributor

I went to a Chili's and asked specifically for the gluten free menu. I ordered the potato soup, and reminded them that the kitchen needed to be reminded that this was from the wheat free gluten free menu. The waitress brought my soup, then set the box with the crackers down next to it with the spoon sticking out of the crackers.... I looked at her and commented. She shrugged and said "oh, sorry" and just walked away. My lesson was majorly learned that day. I never place an order without the manager present anymore. It does make a difference.

• 1 month later...
ginafur77 Newbie

I am sorry to hear about the glutenization that happened. I go to my local Chilis in Southern IL and haven't had an issues.

IxMissxMysticxPizza Apprentice

thats awful! but i wouldn't blame chili's. i eat there alot cuz their food is soo good, i get gluten free ribs and a yummy gluten free non-croton salad, sometimes i have the rice. besides anywhere you go you run a risk of getting gluten, people in resturants are really busy and really dont have time or patience to make the food perfect for us. its sad but true. truthfully the best to go to outback for a gluten free meal, their food is spectacular. *drools* :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gwen B Rookie

Don't let them get away with it. Go back or at least call the manager and tell him what happened. It's only by educating people that things will change. There are a lot of gluten free folks in the U.S. and we should have some marketing power over the food industry!

Archived