This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Allergy Medicine Help

gfpdx

gfpdx Rookie

Can anyone recommend a gluten-free antihistamine? My seasonal allergy symptoms are sneezing, runny nose, ithcy eyes. In the past I have used Chlortrimeton, or a generic. Benadryl makes me too sleepy. This is my first Spring since celiac diagnosis and my allergies are bothering me, so I am grateful for any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Claritin is gluten-free--I use it often this time of year :)

ang1e0251 Contributor

I use Antihistab the Walmart in house brand with no problem. No sleepy side affects either.

gfpdx Rookie
Claritin is gluten-free--I use it often this time of year :)

Thank you. It is encouraging to know there are safe products to help relieve my symptoms.

hermitgirl Contributor

Zyrtec is also gluten free. Still trying to find a nasal spray that is gluten free though.

larry mac Enthusiast

Which allergy medicines are not gluten-free?

best regards, lm

Roda Rising Star
Zyrtec is also gluten free. Still trying to find a nasal spray that is gluten free though.

Are you refering to an afrin type of nasal spray? Regular saline is quite effective for allergies since it clears out the passages. You need to do it a few times a day. Works wonders on my boys.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hermitgirl Contributor

more like the steroid nasal spray. i used to use flonase but it was way too drying for my sinuses and was always giving me nosebleeds. my dr just prescribed nasacort aq, but according to the manufacturer, the polysorbate 80 that is used as the moisturizer is made from wheat, but supposedly still is gluten free. i did cave yesterday as my allergies have gone bezerk, and used it. so far no reaction...

certain forms of pills are made using wheat starch, many prescriptions seem to have that issue, as my pharmacist has had to spend quite a bit of time helping me find safe versions of what i used to use. My last two prescriptions have had to be changed as there wasn't any form available that wasn't gluten free.

dadoffiveboys Rookie

I use Allegra (available via prescription only) and it seemed to be more 'powerful' than claritin and zyrtec. HOWEVER, because of the new medical insurance rules, I had to TRY both claritin and zyrtec (that month SUCKED) before they allowed reimbursement for Allegra.

However, you really need allergy testing because the antihistamines usually only work well if you are 'truly' allergic. If you are not and just 'irritated', then medicines like Flonase and such are a better bet that help keep the sinus cavities from being dry.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
more like the steroid nasal spray. i used to use flonase but it was way too drying for my sinuses and was always giving me nosebleeds. my dr just prescribed nasacort aq, but according to the manufacturer, the polysorbate 80 that is used as the moisturizer is made from wheat, but supposedly still is gluten free. i did cave yesterday as my allergies have gone bezerk, and used it. so far no reaction...

certain forms of pills are made using wheat starch, many prescriptions seem to have that issue, as my pharmacist has had to spend quite a bit of time helping me find safe versions of what i used to use. My last two prescriptions have had to be changed as there wasn't any form available that wasn't gluten free.

I've been using Zicam allergy swabs (for the nasal passage) and so far they have been working great! They are homeopathic so no heavy duty chemicals. I researched and someone else called them and Zicam states all their products are gluten free. The only downside is that they are 12.00 for twenty swabs. I admit that I use the same swab all day, I just re-tape it when I am done (you only insert it 1/4 inch into each nostril and then lightly press on the side of each nostril) and you can also go to their website for a 1.00 off coupon.

hermitgirl Contributor

Ok, so for anyone who needs future reference, Nasacort AQ NOT safe. They did say that they do not make a claim that they are gluten free.They just have "no detectable amount of gluten". I am going to go hide now. Not doing well.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Be careful taking Zicam if you are prone to headaches. I know two people who took Zicam and it triggered migraines for them.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Be careful taking Zicam if you are prone to headaches. I know two people who took Zicam and it triggered migraines for them.

I've heard this too. Its very important to never snort Zicam. Its meant to only be inserted 1/4 inch into the nostril then pressed gently on the side for the nose to absorb it. With the squirt type your supposed to tilt up so that it doesn't shoot up nasal cavity and again gently press on the side of the nostril. Haven't had any problems with migraines (and am prone to get them) but keep it in mind when considering this product.

brigala Explorer

I use Singulair, which is gluten-free, and either Zyrtec or Allegra. I also use Visene-A for "allergy eyes," and when it gets really bad I add benadryl on top of it all at bedtime.

dadoffiveboys Rookie
I use Singulair, which is gluten-free, and either Zyrtec or Allegra. I also use Visene-A for "allergy eyes," and when it gets really bad I add benadryl on top of it all at bedtime.

Only thing to watch for - if you have milk problems, Zyrtec (namebrand) has milk in it.. generic zyrtec does NOT have milk ingredients. (It's part of the inactive ingredients). Allegra I do believe has no allergens at all in the ingredients.

• 1 month later...
jaykilo Newbie

I just called the 1-800 number on the zyrtec bottle and they told me that Zyrtec DOES HAVE gluten in it.

Takala Enthusiast

I noticed that the benedryl boxes have changed and the cute little dry powdered, gelatin capsules I have taken for years for emergencies, (not to mention you can give this to a horse in an emergency, don't laugh) have now been replaced in stores with this liquidgel ****. I am not a happy camper. I despise trendy stuff done for no reason. Does anyone know if this liquidgel **** is also gluten free ? I cannot find anything definitive on the web as to ingredients- where is the stuff being made now?- Hey Benedryl, your website is really annoying.

hermitgirl Contributor
I just called the 1-800 number on the zyrtec bottle and they told me that Zyrtec DOES HAVE gluten in it.

I am guessing they have changed an ingredient, as they used to be gluten free. I haven't taken it for a while now, so good to know.

I noticed that the benedryl boxes have changed and the cute little dry powdered, gelatin capsules I have taken for years for emergencies, (not to mention you can give this to a horse in an emergency, don't laugh) have now been replaced in stores with this liquidgel ****. I am not a happy camper. I despise trendy stuff done for no reason. Does anyone know if this liquidgel **** is also gluten free ? I cannot find anything definitive on the web as to ingredients- where is the stuff being made now?- Hey Benedryl, your website is really annoying.

Call the 800 number on the box. I know they are manufactured by the same company that makes Tylenol, and the last list they sent me of safe things didn't have anything with the word "liquid" in them. I have noticed that in the past, any form with the word "gel" was not on safe lists....

• 2 weeks later...
smalltownslackermom Newbie

I like me some Allegra but I only take it in the daytime if things are really bad. It is the least sleepy-feeling for me. even claritin makes me drowsy.

At nighttime, and here is my current dilemma, I take generic benadryls. but I took two last night and could barely wake up this morning! ok, shouldn't do that but I checked the ingredients list just in case and they are Sam's CLub "Member's Mark Allergy Tablets" and they contain "starch". that's it. Do I know if that is corn or wheat or potato or just a who-knows-what blend?

Nasal sprays - I also recommend the plain old saline solution. You can make your own really easily any time you run out - sea salt non-iodized and a little baking soda. google for the recipe. I used to use Nasalcrom, a steroid. I think long term use of that did not help me.

Acoording to the Walgreens list posted here:

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

the Walgreens house brand is gluten-free but there's no Walgreen's near me. :( Any ideas for obtaining gluten-free diphenhydramine hydrochloride?

• 1 year later...
karalto Newbie

Singulair & Zyrtec as combination allow me to function with pet and environmental allergens without tummy trouble! Check with your health care provider to see if you can use both.

• 7 years later...
johndolan Newbie

Try Allerless.

Its natural & gluten free. Easily available on Amazon or can order directly through the website.

• 2 years later...
Lynnrk Newbie
On 4/8/2009 at 10:15 AM, larry mac said:

Which allergy medicines are not gluten-free?

best regards, lm

I have reacted to Zyrtek gel cap, walgreen brand zyrtek and a generic I bought from Amazon.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I

45 minutes ago, Lynnrk said:

I have reacted to Zyrtek gel cap, walgreen brand zyrtek and a generic I bought from Amazon.

I use the Costco brand of Zyrtec.  It is gluten free.  How are you reacting?  Could it be the inactive ingredients like corn?  

Lynnrk Newbie
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

I

I use the Costco brand of Zyrtec.  It is gluten free.  How are you reacting?  Could it be the inactive ingredients like corn?  

I don't have any problems with anything but gluten. I'm quite sensitive and can also react from cross contamination.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Lynnrk said:

I don't have any problems with anything but gluten. I'm quite sensitive and can also react from cross contamination.

If you seriously have had a gluten reaction, you should contact the FDA.  With the pandemic, there has been issues with many medications.  But normally, this is one of my go-to medications as I have bouts of autoimmune hives.   It is even recommended by Jebby an old member who has celiac disease, mast cell activation syndrome  and she is a medical doctor.  It is pretty much the only medication I take besides my thyroid because I react to things like aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc. that cause swelling, hives, passing out, vomiting, abdominal pain.  This is not a “celiac” reaction.