19 replies to this topic

#1 gfpdx

gfpdx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Can anyone recommend a gluten-free antihistamine? My seasonal allergy symptoms are sneezing, runny nose, ithcy eyes. In the past I have used Chlortrimeton, or a generic. Benadryl makes me too sleepy. This is my first Spring since celiac diagnosis and my allergies are bothering me, so I am grateful for any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Claritin is gluten-free--I use it often this time of year :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

I use Antihistab the Walmart in house brand with no problem. No sleepy side affects either.

#4 gfpdx

gfpdx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Claritin is gluten-free--I use it often this time of year :)

Thank you. It is encouraging to know there are safe products to help relieve my symptoms.

#5 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

Zyrtec is also gluten free. Still trying to find a nasal spray that is gluten free though.

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

Which allergy medicines are not gluten-free?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Zyrtec is also gluten free. Still trying to find a nasal spray that is gluten free though.

Are you refering to an afrin type of nasal spray? Regular saline is quite effective for allergies since it clears out the passages. You need to do it a few times a day. Works wonders on my boys.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

more like the steroid nasal spray. i used to use flonase but it was way too drying for my sinuses and was always giving me nosebleeds. my dr just prescribed nasacort aq, but according to the manufacturer, the polysorbate 80 that is used as the moisturizer is made from wheat, but supposedly still is gluten free. i did cave yesterday as my allergies have gone bezerk, and used it. so far no reaction...
certain forms of pills are made using wheat starch, many prescriptions seem to have that issue, as my pharmacist has had to spend quite a bit of time helping me find safe versions of what i used to use. My last two prescriptions have had to be changed as there wasn't any form available that wasn't gluten free.

#9 dadoffiveboys

dadoffiveboys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

I use Allegra (available via prescription only) and it seemed to be more 'powerful' than claritin and zyrtec. HOWEVER, because of the new medical insurance rules, I had to TRY both claritin and zyrtec (that month SUCKED) before they allowed reimbursement for Allegra.

However, you really need allergy testing because the antihistamines usually only work well if you are 'truly' allergic. If you are not and just 'irritated', then medicines like Flonase and such are a better bet that help keep the sinus cavities from being dry.

#10 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

more like the steroid nasal spray. i used to use flonase but it was way too drying for my sinuses and was always giving me nosebleeds. my dr just prescribed nasacort aq, but according to the manufacturer, the polysorbate 80 that is used as the moisturizer is made from wheat, but supposedly still is gluten free. i did cave yesterday as my allergies have gone bezerk, and used it. so far no reaction...
certain forms of pills are made using wheat starch, many prescriptions seem to have that issue, as my pharmacist has had to spend quite a bit of time helping me find safe versions of what i used to use. My last two prescriptions have had to be changed as there wasn't any form available that wasn't gluten free.

I've been using Zicam allergy swabs (for the nasal passage) and so far they have been working great! They are homeopathic so no heavy duty chemicals. I researched and someone else called them and Zicam states all their products are gluten free. The only downside is that they are 12.00 for twenty swabs. I admit that I use the same swab all day, I just re-tape it when I am done (you only insert it 1/4 inch into each nostril and then lightly press on the side of each nostril) and you can also go to their website for a 1.00 off coupon.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#11 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:46 AM

Ok, so for anyone who needs future reference, Nasacort AQ NOT safe. They did say that they do not make a claim that they are gluten free.They just have "no detectable amount of gluten". I am going to go hide now. Not doing well.

#12 ang1e0251

ang1e0251

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Be careful taking Zicam if you are prone to headaches. I know two people who took Zicam and it triggered migraines for them.

#13 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

Be careful taking Zicam if you are prone to headaches. I know two people who took Zicam and it triggered migraines for them.

I've heard this too. Its very important to never snort Zicam. Its meant to only be inserted 1/4 inch into the nostril then pressed gently on the side for the nose to absorb it. With the squirt type your supposed to tilt up so that it doesn't shoot up nasal cavity and again gently press on the side of the nostril. Haven't had any problems with migraines (and am prone to get them) but keep it in mind when considering this product.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#14 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:42 AM

I use Singulair, which is gluten-free, and either Zyrtec or Allegra. I also use Visene-A for "allergy eyes," and when it gets really bad I add benadryl on top of it all at bedtime.

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#15 dadoffiveboys

dadoffiveboys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I use Singulair, which is gluten-free, and either Zyrtec or Allegra. I also use Visene-A for "allergy eyes," and when it gets really bad I add benadryl on top of it all at bedtime.

Only thing to watch for - if you have milk problems, Zyrtec (namebrand) has milk in it.. generic zyrtec does NOT have milk ingredients. (It's part of the inactive ingredients). Allegra I do believe has no allergens at all in the ingredients.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: