Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sweet Potato Starch?

8 posts in this topic

I was perusing our local asian market yesterday and found sweet potato starch. Has anyone used this in place of regular potato starch? TIA!

Ads by Google:

Since the starch in sweet potato is different from that of ordinary white potato, I'd think it would behave somewhat differently. However, that's not to say it can't be used. It might just boil down to preference.

hmm, interesting. i'm potato intolerant, i might have to look for this to try in some recipes that call for potato starch.

Guess someone will have to be the guinea pig, try it in baking, and let us know how it turned out. I'm supposed to be allergic to white potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. You are fortunate to live near an Asian market.

Guess someone will have to be the guinea pig, try it in baking, and let us know how it turned out. I'm supposed to be allergic to white potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. You are fortunate to live near an Asian market.

I'm also intolerant to nightshade vegetables, which included the potato. I sub arrowroot for potato starch in recipes. I have been looking at the bags of sweet potato starch and wondering how I can incorporate it into my baking. Hmmm.

I was perusing our local asian market yesterday and found sweet potato starch. Has anyone used this in place of regular potato starch? TIA!

My chef used sweet potato flour when we hosted a gluten free dinner last fall. He made them into ravioli. Didn't get to try them because of the dairy. Everyone liked the taste, said it was kinda nutty flavored perfect for fall.

I've only used the flour, but according to many posts on this board, it seems starches are more interchangeable than flours. I'd have to guess it'll probably work fine, though you may need to tweak something slightly.

:P I too am interested in using sweet potato flour - Found a recipe at http://milkforthemorningcake.blogspot.com/...tta-breads.html

and tried it - Sweet potato pitta breads - both of us liked it. The recipe calls for both cooked sweet potato and the flour as well. I didn't have any flour so i subsituted corn starch for the sweet potato flour and used brown sugar instead of date sugar. I did not expect them to be so small; As far as the recipe i read rolling it to 3/4 inch thickness but I would try it thinner next time as thin as I could up to1/4 or 3/8 thickness if possible. Although they turned out great keep in mind this recipe as followed creates sweet potato pitta minis. I am going to try to find the flour and work with it and put it in this recipe again. Personally sweet potato recipes I have made have all turned out great and is so easy to wash and nuke a potato and then just peel off the skin if your in a hurry. i am going to try it in a pizza dough soon- we'll see how it turns out!