This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"officially" Diagnosed With Genetics

Kcat99

Kcat99 Newbie

Hi all, my first post. I've been gluten free since last Dec. Had labs a few weeks ago and the results are back.

Hope I get this all right...neg. for DQ2, positive for DQ8 (A1*03/B1*0302) Then I'm guessing my other DQ (two right?) is a DQ5 since I see A1*01 / B1*0502

History:

44F, Psoriasis since age 16, I have antibodies for Graves' at @ 100% activity 125%+ is diagnostic, the endo thinks I am going hypothyroid (I'm considered subclinical hypo - no TPO's), had 'the runs' for years - used to call pasta my 'diet food' for that reason - like I didn't have a clue!! Getting that 4 to 5+ times a week isn't normal - who knew?? Well, got an infection and huh, I'm diabetic also. I'm listed as T2 even without fitting that profile (medically or physically) but my brother does (it really wasn't in the family - and no known T1 either) but my GAD65's came back .2 and the rest of the antibodies came back neg. for T1 diabetes. Diagnosed officially with the diabetes last year (very mild, insulin sensitive...I know, odd but the endo said I must have been resistant at some point - I tend to agree with that). So after reading some research article I decided to try gluten free - maybe it would help my mild to moderate Psoriasis. Well..within 3 days I saw a difference. And it's still clearing slowly. At first it was quick.

My antibodies came out neg. >3 for both IgA and IgG but I had been gluten free 15 weeks by then + I really wasn't eating much gluten to begin with because of the diabetes. I did also take one of those over the counter tests from Canada - but there again it was 5 weeks into the gluten free and it was neg. also (so I don't know how much stock to put there)

Endo is considering me a Celiac based upon my genetics and how much improvement I've seen since going gluten free (namely the psoriasis greatly improving)

So... I state "officially" since I will never be OFFICIALLY diagnosed. It's not an option to go back on gluten. Also I noticed my LDL lowered from 121 to 89 on the gluten free diet and it's not because I wasn't eating processed foods. Is that typical? Common?

Also I can't find anything about the DQ5. Figure it's pretty unknown / neutral?

I know the DQ8 is highly linked to T1 but it looks like if I didn't have the autoimmune attack as a child I won't / shouldn't have it. But if I was both DQ2 and DQ8 then ya, it's really up there as LADA or late onset T1. But for a female...only DQ8 is not common for Celiacs, correct?

So there is my intro :-)

I really need to get some good low carb recipies...my dietary choices have been limited since I wasn't too sure if this was it and I really wasn't ready to 'commit' to this without full labs - even with being very strict with staying away from gluten.

Kcat99

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I am DQ8 too! Welcome!

Lisa Mentor

This might help you with some of your questions:

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor
I am DQ8 too! Welcome!

B -

Do you remember how much the gene testing costs? I think you went through Prometheus?

lizard00 Enthusiast
B -

Do you remember how much the gene testing costs? I think you went through Prometheus?

ok, I'm not Bev, but I had it done last year through Prometheus and it was a little over $500. My insurance paid for about 200 of it... and yes, I was left with the bill. :angry:

Kcat99,

I was pretty much diagnosed based on genetic results combined with dietary results. I am completely fine with it, but do sometimes worry if I ever change doctors. But for now, I am happy.

jerseyangel Proficient

Lisa--my doctor ordered the gene testing through Quest, and my insurance paid it in full.

Lisa Mentor

Thanks Ladies. Something to look into, I think.

Yes, as Liz mentioned, Celiac Disease is often a "combined" diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kcat99 Newbie

Thanks everyone for the welcome!!!

Kcat

Archived