#1 nrg4me

nrg4me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

[font="Century Gothic"]Hello,all
I have been looking into the cause of caaracts lately because I have them and cataracts run in my family.
There are so many different theories on the causes of cataracts but no definitive answers!

Some say it is caused by smoking---but I know epople who were heavy smokers for years and DO NOT have cataracts.
Some say it is exposure to bright sun light, yet I know a man who lived in Arizona most of his life (and was a smoker for decades) with no cataracts---and none in his family members---also lifelong Arizona residents---and some smokers.

After reading and a little researching on my own, I think that for many people the cause of cataracts is related to gluten intolerance and/or celiac. I, my mother, my sister have cataracts. My sister and I were never smokers. We grew up in Wisconsin---land of almost no sunshine. She now lives in Kansas and I live in the southwest. My mother grew up in Kansas but lived in Wisconsin for decades. So clearly it wasn't sunshine that brought this on.

But gluten intolerance and celiac run in my family!!!Also autoimmune diseases run in the family---and there is a link to gluten with those too.

So I am asking anyone reading this---do you or anyone you know with eye peroblems---especially ctaracts---also have gluten problems.
I really think there's a direct link there.
Thanks for any input.

NRG4m

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Yes, I am one. Was told two years ago I had beginning cataracts; vision is getting progressively worse at 69 years old. Only (self) diagnosed the gluten problem 18 months ago
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mamasaidso

mamasaidso

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

I really believe there is a link between the two. I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and had cataract surgery at age 52 for one eye and developed it in other eye and had surgery again at 57. Have sensitivity to sunlight and doesn't seem to be quite as bad now that I have been gluten-free a year. Also have really dry eyes. Don't smoke and no one has had cataracts in family. Was always puzzled at why I developed them, so really encourage my daughter to wear sunglasses as she has very pale blue eyes and fair skin.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Was always puzzled at why I developed them, so really encourage my daughter to wear sunglasses as she has very pale blue eyes and fair skin.

I have the blue eyes and fair skin and have *always* worn sunglasses.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 LoisArbuckle

LoisArbuckle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:27 AM

Hello,

I am 20 years old, have celiac disease and cataracts. The optometrist told me it is because I have fair skin and light eyes and have had too much sun exposure. I grew up in Mobile, AL and spent everyday I could at the beach so this could be true. It is very interesting that you brought up this topic though. It never crossed my mind that these two could have anything to do with each other.

#6 Gfwjohn

Gfwjohn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hello,

I am 20 years old, have celiac disease and cataracts. The optometrist told me it is because I have fair skin and light eyes and have had too much sun exposure. I grew up in Mobile, AL and spent everyday I could at the beach so this could be true. It is very interesting that you brought up this topic though. It never crossed my mind that these two could have anything to do with each other.

Hi Lois,

Multiple eye problems are found in celiac disease. Cataracts are directly related to nutrient deficiencies. "Cataract formation, a feature of vitamin A deficiency and long standing hypocalcemia, is characterized by clouding of the lens of the eye. In celiac disease, it results from malabsorption of vitamin A and calcium. Vitamin B2 may be involved. GFD (gluten-free diet) is preventive and limits further changes." (Recognizing Celiac Disease, p. 213) That said, we know that malnutrition can persist on a GFD due to unintentional gluten ingestion, poor diet, etc. Ask your physician to take levels of vitamin A, B2 and calcium to make sure you are getting - and absorbing adequate amounts.

-John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: