Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Do I Have A Sensitivity

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I never new I had celiacs. I went for an annual physical and my blood work came back and I wasnt absorbing vitamins. So i went to GI and was diagnosed after endoscopy.

So here is what I am wondering...I know not to eat gluten and I dont at all. But do i really have to worry about getting sick if I actually do eat some accidently? And what kind of sick do people get from eating it. I dont understand. So I assume I donnot have a sensitivity I just cant eat it because of the vitamin issue. So if I do get some some how I wont get sick....right?

I really need to know the answer to this. My Dr cant even answer it.

Thanks

Ads by Google:

As you know, it's very possible to be asymptomatic and have celiac, although I wouldn't consider you that... since you posted about nausea, that could be your symptom.

Either way, peoples sensitivity levels do vary, and what might make me sick may not bother another. You may be CC'd and not know it. That can be both a blessing and a curse, because if you don't know you have been glutened, it can make it harder to be as strict as is necessary. So, you may or may not actually feel the physical effects of eating gluten. But, just remember that even though you may not feel it, doesn't mean there isn't a reaction occurring.

I've also heard that some people become more sensitive to gluten the longer they are gluten-free, while others tend to become less sensitive as times goes on. There are a lot of mysteries to this disease.

Yes, you should be concerned about accidental exposures. While everybody responds differently to this kind of scenario, I don't know any Celiac/Gluten-Intolerant person that doesn't have some sort of symptoms that lets them know they've been exposed.

Most people at time of diagnosis don't have the classic Celiac symptoms and often present with only one, seeemingly unrelated problem like anemia, vitamin deficiencies, acid reflux, osteoporosis, cognitive delay, dermatitis (Dermatitis Herpetiformis and others) and even misdiagnoses like Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Symdrome.

You need to read your body and determine what sensations and symptoms indicate to you that you may ahve been accidentally exposed. I didn't have hardly any GI symptoms when I went gluten-free but some recent exposures had me in bed for several days with severe adominal pain, indicating I've become more sensitive as I've "cleaned up" my act.

What I've reconciled myself with is that the "normal" world is pretty inhospitable to those with gluten intolerance and food allergies. Social circles and family can be the toughest to deal with during the early stages of this lifestyle. Be prepared for old aquaintances to drift away and to make new friends that better understand your needs.

I need more answers please

I never new I had celiacs. I went for an annual physical and my blood work came back and I wasnt absorbing vitamins. So i went to GI and was diagnosed after endoscopy. So here is what I am wondering...I know not to eat gluten and I dont at all. But do i really have to worry about getting sick if I actually do eat some accidently? And what kind of sick do people get from eating it. I dont understand. So I assume I donnot have a sensitivity I just cant eat it because of the vitamin issue. So if I do get some some how I wont get sick....right? I really need to know the answer to this. My Dr cant even answer it.

I never knew I had celiac disease, either. I got diagnosed via endoscopy when the doctors were looking for something else. I had no symptoms. I have been gluten free for 6 months (I believe) and I can think of one time when I for sure ate gluten. Even then I did not suffer with any symptoms. I cannot tell if I am getting cross contamination. The only way I will know if I am being successful with my diet is by bloodwork.

So . . . do you have to worry about getting sick? Well, I don't but you could be different.

I never knew I had celiac disease, either. I got diagnosed via endoscopy when the doctors were looking for something else. I had no symptoms. I have been gluten free for 6 months (I believe) and I can think of one time when I for sure ate gluten. Even then I did not suffer with any symptoms. I cannot tell if I am getting cross contamination. The only way I will know if I am being successful with my diet is by bloodwork.

So . . . do you have to worry about getting sick? Well, I don't but you could be different.

Just curious, sbj -- how long have you been gluten-free? I was diagnosed four years ago, a diagnosis right out of left field. I had no symptoms, with the exception of low iron. It took over six months for me to start noticing symptoms when I accidentally consumed gluten, and at first they were not heavy-duty. Then, once I was at a year gluten-free, I was (and have been ever since) experiencing the classic symptoms when I was cross-contaminated, very noticeable: cramps, bloating, D.

Valerie, you need to stay away from gluten because it causes your immune system to launch an inappropriate attack on the protein. The antibodies can damage every organ in the body, including the brain, skin, liver, pancreas. . . .....not to mention the obvious damage it will do to your lower intestine. Cancer can result. You've come to the right place for support and advice! :)

Just curious, sbj -- how long have you been gluten-free? I was diagnosed four years ago, a diagnosis right out of left field. I had no symptoms, with the exception of low iron. It took over six months for me to start noticing symptoms when I accidentally consumed gluten, and at first they were not heavy-duty. Then, once I was at a year gluten-free, I was (and have been ever since) experiencing the classic symptoms when I was cross-contaminated, very noticeable: cramps, bloating, D.

I'm gluten free for a mere six months now, near as I can remember. So I'm just a baby at this! I realize that many have noticed their sensitivity to gluten increasing with time as they remain gluten free. So far that is not the case with me but who knows what the future will bring? I know that some people can become suddenly sensitive to gluten after only being gluten free for a couple of weeks! That certainly did not happen to me. In a way I am hoping that I do become more sensitive so that I can recognize cross contamination - but nothing so far. Right now it's just a toss of the dice. I'm avoiding gluten as best I can but there is the chance that I am getting CC. I have no way to know other than bloodwork.