3 replies to this topic

#1 sugarsue

sugarsue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Has anyone heard if Bactroban helps heal DH?

Bactroban Cream (mupirocin calcium cream), 2% contains the dihydrate crystalline calcium hemi-salt of the antibiotic mupirocin.

I have not had this thought until tonight, but my 6 yr old got these bumps under her armpits that only went away with Bactroban. This was before going gluten free last year. Now she is gluten free and the bumps started coming back. She has been glutened recently. I started wondering if maybe it was DH or something gluten related but I had never heard of Bactroban helping.

Thanks.....
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

This is just my opinion. I don't know really much about DH. I don't see how bactroban would help it unless it got infected. My youngest son had to use bactroban cream in his nares when he had MRSA in his tonsils to kill any of it that may have colonized in his nose. Unless there are signs of infection, I don't think it is necessary. Could she have some kind of bacterial rash? Staph likes to colonize in dark warm areas like the nose and around the private areas.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

This is just my opinion. I don't know really much about DH. I don't see how bactroban would help it unless it got infected. My youngest son had to use bactroban cream in his nares when he had MRSA in his tonsils to kill any of it that may have colonized in his nose. Unless there are signs of infection, I don't think it is necessary. Could she have some kind of bacterial rash? Staph likes to colonize in dark warm areas like the nose and around the private areas.

This makes sense to me, I was thinking it might be a long shot but you know... you have those moments where you go "Uhhh?????", LOL. But she could have some other type of bacterial rash. If it comes back I think I better take her to the doc...

Thanks!
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

#4 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

This makes sense to me, I was thinking it might be a long shot but you know... you have those moments where you go "Uhhh?????", LOL. But she could have some other type of bacterial rash. If it comes back I think I better take her to the doc...

Thanks!

I wouldn't use Bactroban unless a doctor told me to, simply because over-use of antibiotics contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of everything. Bactroban is one of very few things left that work on MRSA, for instance, and it would be VERY bad if a Bactroban-resistant strain of MRSA evolved. (I say this as a 4-time veteran of MRSA infections!)

Jeanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: