#1 gfmolly

gfmolly

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

Hi there,
I am seriously considering going back on the SCD after about a year leave from it. I have celiac and found it to push me over the edge in the ehaling process last year. I was diagnosed about two years ago now (hey, my anniversary just passed!) and found ti so helpful. I am experiencing vague intolerances again. The motivation to go back on this diet is weak, though. Help!
Diary free 11/06-6/08
Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!
Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."
- Fortune Cookie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hi Molly

Like you, I went gluten-free about two years ago. One year ago I still felt awful with unpredictable digestion. I have been on the SCD for a year and feel that my digestion is pretty much healed. I am spending less on food and enjoying the diet thoroughly. I don't eat dairy, don't bother with beans, only rarely at lentils and don't bake much. I feel healthier and healthier all the time. I build muscle when I exercise, have increased endurance, and people are always telling me I look brighter. One small thing that really is a big deal: I can eat apples again after having to avoid them for years.

So, yes, go for it. The SCD or the Paleo, some version of a grain-free, sugar-free, processed food free-diet.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

Hi there,
I am seriously considering going back on the SCD after about a year leave from it. I have celiac and found it to push me over the edge in the ehaling process last year. I was diagnosed about two years ago now (hey, my anniversary just passed!) and found ti so helpful. I am experiencing vague intolerances again. The motivation to go back on this diet is weak, though. Help!

You can find more information here. Good luck.

http://www.celiac.co...h...c=54285&hl=
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

THe homemade SCD yogurt is so very good! I will make it for the rest of my life!

I've been on the diet for 7 months. I have tons of energy. I get up at 5;30 go to work 7 to 5. Walk with my friend 3 miles, come home and ride my horse and sit down and write a few responses on this website and head for bed at 10.

I sleep sound and am ready to go again at 5:30.

2 years ago, I was lethargic, pale, weak - absolutely no muscles. Wasting away. I had ticks, couldn't speak a good sentence, tripped over my own feet, crabby. Couldn't get out of bed in the morning, came home from work, fell into my recliner and didn't move til 10. What a difference the diet made! I hope you are as successful!
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#5 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi. :)

How great that the SCD works for you, I know I was amazed to discover that the SCD was a diet prescribed for Celiacs until the 1950's. I am grateful to find that it works for me too. I spent two and a half years strictly gluten free and although I saw some improvement I was not well.

I find the diet a pleasure, I do some baking with almond flour and find what I can make far tastier than any of the substitutes available in shops. I posted a recipe on the dedicated SCD recipe thread for a simple almond flour bread recently.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: