This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Can You Be Sure What Is Ccing You?

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

I have read many posts where people are positive they are being CC with something that touched something else...a utensil, something that may not have been cleaned, a food item that was supposed to be gluten-free, etc...

What I am wondering is how are you able to pin it down??

I was just thinking as I go about my day, if I did feel glutened, how would I ever nail it down?

Just curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator
I have read many posts where people are positive they are being CC with something that touched something else...a utensil, something that may not have been cleaned, a food item that was supposed to be gluten-free, etc...

What I am wondering is how are you able to pin it down??

I was just thinking as I go about my day, if I did feel glutened, how would I ever nail it down?

Just curious.

I'm one of the people always freaking out about CC. I have a running list of suspicions, and when the same thing keeps popping up, I do a challenge. For example, I seem to be the rare celiac who can't tolerate the smell of gluten. I repeatedly got sick on Sundays. I figured out that I started feeling bad at the grocery store and tested out my theory 2 additional weeks. Then I asked hubby to do the grocery shopping for a few weeks. (He's great!) I'm not getting sick on the weekend anymore. I'm supposed to give the grocery store a test this weekend if I get the nerve.

Most of the time, I just have to deal with the fact that I'll never know what got me. Keeping that mental list has helped narrow down the following culprits though.

bbq grill, finger food, birdseed, hubby gluten, lotion, nail biting, inhaled gluten.

These are the items currently running around my suspicious list:

sharing gluten free serving platters with non celiacs, that darn bowl hubby might have contaminated, the soap at work, the corn chips and cereal I love.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Most of the time I can figure it out - it takes a bit of sleuthing. I don't know what I would do without the internet - it's so easy to look up ingredients and visit forums such as this to find answers or ask questions. I can detail my home for the best gluten avoiding strategies I can, but it's mostly away from my home that I get "got". My best strategy is to just eat my own food. Basically anything with "natural flavors" is suspect. Food from other people can be suspect. Someone at work made gluten free cupcakes and I didn't even have one...at home I have my own muffin tins, cutting boards, etc.

There have been some glutenings I haven't figured out though.

Zachnap Newbie

It is tough and I believe that most of my problems are due to this as my reactions now are very minor but present - meaning I am coming in contact with gluten but very, very small amounts.

Dishes and silverware from the dishwasher. What do you think happens to the gluten that is on the stuff before it goes in the dishwasher? Answer: it goes into solution with the dish water and then dries onto the dishes and silverware. Make sure you rinse everything off with soap and water before using it even though it has already been washed. Forks: forks collect dried food particles between the prongs and I am always having to scrape it off even though it is difficult to notice it is there.

Archived