This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Having Some Strange Symptoms

hannahp57

hannahp57 Contributor

I am nineteen and have been on a gluten free diet for three years. I usually have no problems with the diet. However, lately I have been having stomach symptoms. A couple times this week I have had the infamous gas, bloating, nausea, fatigue and weight loss (only 6 pounds but in a week it feels like a lot). Does anyone know if there are any disorders that sound like this? I don't think it is contamination because I have eaten at home all week and my husband and I are very careful about labeling and preventing cross contamination. I cannot find any food that is questionable and it hasn't been the same food at any time. Maybe another food allergy that I am unaware of with these symptoms..? Thanks everyone for reading. I have been hoping to come across a forum like this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kylie Explorer
I am nineteen and have been on a gluten free diet for three years. I usually have no problems with the diet. However, lately I have been having stomach symptoms. A couple times this week I have had the infamous gas, bloating, nausea, fatigue and weight loss (only 6 pounds but in a week it feels like a lot). Does anyone know if there are any disorders that sound like this? I don't think it is contamination because I have eaten at home all week and my husband and I are very careful about labeling and preventing cross contamination. I cannot find any food that is questionable and it hasn't been the same food at any time. Maybe another food allergy that I am unaware of with these symptoms..? Thanks everyone for reading. I have been hoping to come across a forum like this!

My first question would be do you still eat dairy? We are the same age and have had Celiac for the same amount of time, and to this day, I can still not do dairy. I would first suggest that you cut that out. The same thing happened to me this summer, and I thought it could be linked it to a shrimp allergy. I had to do the whole allergist route and in the end, I wasn't allergic to shrimp, just having a few bad weeks.

Has anything else in your life changed recently- stress with school or work, not sleeping enough or sleeping too much? All of these things will trigger Celiac like symptoms for me even when I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't. Not to pry into your personal life, but you said you had a husband, could you be pregnant?

I think the best advice would be to get ahold of your doctor and start journaling about what you eat, when, and how much and see if you can find a pattern. Hope this helps, flair ups suck!

valeriek Apprentice

Could you be pregnant?

hannahp57 Contributor
Could you be pregnant?

I have been on birth control for a while, but I recently had to switch. I thought I would still be protected. Would pregnancy triggers symptoms like this. And if it was a dairy allergy, is it possible for me to only feels the effects of it occasionally instead of every time I eat it? I guess I will be getting a pregnancy test and cutting some things out for a while.

Kylie Explorer

A switch from one birth control to another could have led to a little slip up in protection, I would definately take a test to be sure. As for the dairy, yes it can occasionally bother you and some things may bother you more than others. I have a horrible time with ice cream but can eat yogurt occasionally, and sometimes some days are worse than others. This is why journaling will be so helpful. Good luck with everything!

27204-1442977708 Newbie

Hi,

do you think about lactose intolerance?

i'm 23 and celiac for 5 years, and a few months ago, i had gas, fatigue, weight loss... and with a breath test, i discovered that i'm lactose intolerant..

good luck anyway!

krystal Rookie

Have you verified your BC is gluten free?

I always have worse sensitivity to foods (and worse reactions) during my cycle, and I was horribly affected by it when I was first pregnant - I think worse than I would have been had I known I had a gluten issue and watched my diet at that point.

Unless you are a large person, 6 pounds seems a lot to lose in a week unexpectedly. Are you drinking enough water? If you are nauseous, try to find a balanced snack you can eat that has lean protein, some good carbs in it. Eat just a couple bites, wait 15 minutes, eat a couple bites more, and so on. This was the ONLY way I could eat during my first trimester and I still resort to it when I'm feeling particularly nauseous because I haven't quite figured out my food sensitivities yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived