This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who Gets Sick With Honey?

Nadia2009

Nadia2009 Enthusiast

Honey is a natural product, a nutritive sweetener and even a medicine for some. Yet, I get sick if I take half a spoon. I used to get a light discomfort when I used honey in yogurt or tea. Then, one day I bought a different jar and decided to check if it was really honey or something else. I used on bread many spoons and made a hot chocolate. it was really good eating it but as soon as I finished, I knew I had made a big mistake. I was sick and sick in my stomach, terrible pain non-stop. When I threw up I was expecting a relief that never came. I vomited many other times but had the same pain. The only positive thing was there was no diarrhea :lol:

Then, I called a doctor (as we could have home visit at night time where I was) and I told the doctor bring something to stop my pain! He brought some pills with him and I took them. He didn't know what it was and told me he has never seen anyone sick because of honey and kept asking me what else I had. But I only had bread with my honey (maybe butter too) and hot chocolate.

I stayed away from honey but years after when people ask me how I can be allergic to such good product and everyone tells me to try a different honey a good one, I try a bit. I tried Manuka honey from Australia but in very small quantity and I didn't feel much. I have the impression that the Manuka honey doesn't hurt me as much as others.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

I am in the process of being identified as GI. But still wondering if I suffer from other things like candida overgrowth or allergy to some sugars.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sorry that you are feeling badly. Have you tried the honey alone, without the bread or hot chocolate?

home-based-mom Contributor

Several years ago I gave my daughter some Royal Jelly in honey. She threw up within seconds. :blink: This was a kid who ate Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast *EVERY DAY* for almost her entire life. (She now eats the ones from Trader Joe's that do not contain barley malt, but that's another issue.) Several weeks later we tried it again with the same results. She still doesn't eat straight honey. It just doesn't agree with her.

Perhaps it doesn't agree with you, either.

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Sorry that you are feeling badly. Have you tried the honey alone, without the bread or hot chocolate?

I am ok now and there is no honey in my house but the last time I tried it was just honey a small spoon. The reaction was quick and I think I was still standing in the kitchen when I started sweating and having nausea. And it is not pollen, the only thing I am allergic in the environment is dust mites.

Honey allergy/intolerance is rare but I must be one of these special people ;)

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Several years ago I gave my daughter some Royal Jelly in honey. She threw up within seconds. :blink: This was a kid who ate Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast *EVERY DAY* for almost her entire life. (She now eats the ones from Trader Joe's that do not contain barley malt, but that's another issue.) Several weeks later we tried it again with the same results. She still doesn't eat straight honey. It just doesn't agree with her.

Perhaps it doesn't agree with you, either.

Maybe it is about the amount also. Maybe the other food is balancing something for her. I am really careful with honey as I have a quick bad reaction. But I like Greek pastry and usually have honey balls that are supposed to be in honey syrup and I never had a reaction. Must be very little honey if any. It could be the same with the Honey Nut cheerios. The good news is that your daughter and I are not allergic to minimal amount of honey and it is not like with those with peanut allergy who can die because of cross contamination. I am a teacher and I don't let my nut allergic students eat any of the commercial cup cakes kids bring for birthday parties even if they say they are not allergic to one of them and they already had it. It is better to be safe and sorry. I have just started to relax since I learned that none of them is in danger if someone else eats nut next to them.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I recently made a connection that I have fructose malabsorption and Honey is 100% fructose so I get the big D about a half hour after consuming even a tsp of honey. I also stay away from anything the is made with High fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, and Corn Syrup Solids. Not saying this is your problem at all but its made a huge difference in my life!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
I recently made a connection that I have fructose malabsorption and Honey is 100% fructose so I get the big D about a half hour after consuming even a tsp of honey. I also stay away from anything the is made with High fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, and Corn Syrup Solids. Not saying this is your problem at all but its made a huge difference in my life!

Thank you for your reply and please tell me anything you know about fructose and other sugars allergies. I still don't know if I am a celiac disease patient but all I know is that I must be intolerant to something in cereals probably gluten and some sugars.

Fructose malabsorption does it mean that you can't digest well and absorbe fruits as well? I get some mild and something stronger reflux when I eat fruits specially the acidic ones. What are the symptoms? Actually, honey gives some some D too but the other symptoms are more shaky...I have to write them down one day but it is mostly quick and acute stomach pain and nausea the last time I felt my back was hurting and I was sweating...maybe I have chest pain too...maybe my breathing pattern changes but I am not so sure about it. Then I take many hot drinks and a special ethnic potion for stomach it is kinda like washing your stomach and getting rid fast of what you have ingested.

I should be careful about honey (I am little scared specially when by myself) but because I have been sick for long hours one time, I always think that it hurts but doesn't kill.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Thank you for your reply and please tell me anything you know about fructose and other sugars allergies. I still don't know if I am a celiac disease patient but all I know is that I must be intolerant to something in cereals probably gluten and some sugars.

Fructose malabsorption does it mean that you can't digest well and absorbe fruits as well? I get some mild and something stronger reflux when I eat fruits specially the acidic ones. What are the symptoms? Actually, honey gives some some D too but the other symptoms are more shaky...I have to write them down one day but it is mostly quick and acute stomach pain and nausea the last time I felt my back was hurting and I was sweating...maybe I have chest pain too...maybe my breathing pattern changes but I am not so sure about it. Then I take many hot drinks and a special ethnic potion for stomach it is kinda like washing your stomach and getting rid fast of what you have ingested.

I should be careful about honey (I am little scared specially when by myself) but because I have been sick for long hours one time, I always think that it hurts but doesn't kill.

www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/malabsorption.html

www.healthhype.com/low-fructose-diet-in-fructose-malabsorption.html

The above links give good information on fructose malabsorption. If you have problems with fruits its a good thing to check out. Apples, Pears, especially juice from concentrate are big ones. You can try to eliminate high fructose from your diet for a few days and see if it makes a difference in your symptoms. You could also get the test done as well. For me, its mainly GI symptoms such as the big D, stomach cramping, and nausea with cold sweats. Maybe you are allergic to honey since it involves your breathing etc. I wouldn't even test it especially by yourself. PM me and let me know how you are doing!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/fructose/malabsorption.html

www.healthhype.com/low-fructose-diet-in-fructose-malabsorption.html

The above links give good information on fructose malabsorption. If you have problems with fruits its a good thing to check out. Apples, Pears, especially juice from concentrate are big ones. You can try to eliminate high fructose from your diet for a few days and see if it makes a difference in your symptoms. You could also get the test done as well. For me, its mainly GI symptoms such as the big D, stomach cramping, and nausea with cold sweats. Maybe you are allergic to honey since it involves your breathing etc. I wouldn't even test it especially by yourself. PM me and let me know how you are doing!

Thank you for the links. Yes, I will let you know what happens for sure. For now, I am just everywhere thinking it could this (fructose) and that (gluten or lactose etc). Today, I read on honey allergy and fructose intolerance and I learned that honey is high in fructose so is jam and jam has never been a friend. I would spend so much time to buy the best quality but will end up hating because of the discomfort and reflux. I am not sure about the pears and apples the are not my fruits of choice but I love grapes and sometimes I have some discomfort but nothing like the big D. Maybe it is the food combinaison or just because I eat too much of them. My reaction to honey is like nothing else. It is quick and it is like my body is trying to get rid of it: I vomit, have some D and the last time I was sweating.

Yes, I would better not try honey when I am alone at home.

• 9 years later...
Arokanika Newbie

I definitely get sick with bloating and severe stomach ache even if I have as much as a drop of honey alone or mixed with water or mixed with anything else whatsoever (like apple cider vinegar or lemon or milk or tea or with bread) I have tried everything because I knew honey is good for health but none worked. Always sick for couple of hours or days. Of course proportionate to the quantity consumed. I was searching for cure from stomach ache caused by honey intolerance and bumped onto this site, while I didn't find cure here, I am happy to leave my experience and what helped me relieve a little tonight. Fortunately  I made myself some mint chamomile tea, I know mint tea or mint concentrated drops (called pudin hara if looking at indian stores) or tablets have always helped me subside stomach pains as a boon. I don't know if it suits everyone but as many as I know use mint as remedy for stomach bloating ache or gas relief. 

Although I avoid any products with honey in its ingredients now a days but have tried some soft bakes/cookies and cereals which says it has honey in it and it has not affected me. So I think it's just raw honey that I am intolerant too. Although I don't remember I had such issues with honey in childhood so it also has something to do with age, I am 31 now :"( 

dherbster Newbie
On 5/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, Arokanika said:

I definitely get sick with bloating and severe stomach ache even if I have as much as a drop of honey alone or mixed with water or mixed with anything else whatsoever (like apple cider vinegar or lemon or milk or tea or with bread) I have tried everything because I knew honey is good for health but none worked. Always sick for couple of hours or days. Of course proportionate to the quantity consumed. I was searching for cure from stomach ache caused by honey intolerance and bumped onto this site, while I didn't find cure here, I am happy to leave my experience and what helped me relieve a little tonight. Fortunately  I made myself some mint chamomile tea, I know mint tea or mint concentrated drops (called pudin hara if looking at indian stores) or tablets have always helped me subside stomach pains as a boon. I don't know if it suits everyone but as many as I know use mint as remedy for stomach bloating ache or gas relief. 

Although I avoid any products with honey in its ingredients now a days but have tried some soft bakes/cookies and cereals which says it has honey in it and it has not affected me. So I think it's just raw honey that I am intolerant too. Although I don't remember I had such issues with honey in childhood so it also has something to do with age, I am 31 now :"( 

About 3 months ago, I made biscuits and I had already purchased a container of raw honey. Just after a couple of bites of the biscuit with honey, I because sick to my stomach. I love honey in my coffee but since then after drinking coffee with honey, I got a sick feeling and all my life, I have been able to eat anything. Whats going on with me?

kareng Grand Master
24 minutes ago, dherbster said:

About 3 months ago, I made biscuits and I had already purchased a container of raw honey. Just after a couple of bites of the biscuit with honey, I because sick to my stomach. I love honey in my coffee but since then after drinking coffee with honey, I got a sick feeling and all my life, I have been able to eat anything. Whats going on with me?

Are you sure your biscuits were gluten-free?  No cc?  

Depending on where your honey comes from/ what plants the bees use - it can sometimes be a bit different.  Or maybe it is too much sugar?

• 2 weeks later...
SandyP0206 Newbie

I had a reaction to honey the other day. True I ate a larger amount than usual. Since I have an intolerance to bee stings I assume there might be a relationship there. I got the itchies BAD. Upon reading up on things I found that honey often has citric acid added to it. (don't know why they would do that, as far as I know it is the only food that does not go bad, ever) I am still trying to pinpoint if I have other issues than citric acid, but it is in almost all foods naturally, fruits especially. Right now I am just trying to figure out how much I can tolerate with no reaction. I was reminded in one article that if it is less than 1% it does not need to be listed. ?

• 3 weeks later...
Haneen Khatib Newbie

Hi Nadia, I know my reply is years late. But I am a fellow honey allergic person. I had it since I can remember when my mother used to force feed me honey by slipping a couple of spoons in my milk or creal bowl and it wouldn't take an hour and I would be throwing up uncontrollably in school. My parents wouldnt believe that it was honey as my dad is a an M.D. and he has never heard of a case of honey allergy. I have no other problema with fruites and I am not a fan of jam anyway. So my only source of discomfort over the years has been honey only. I tried different kind and I thought I'd out grow it but I didnt. When i forget to ask or check salad dressings and deserts and I start getting stomachaches I then find out I ate honey by mistake. It sometimes takes me days to get over the stomache pains. I couldnt find an explanation other than being a minority. I do however have a couple more weird allergies, I am allergic sometimes to bell peppers and eggplants and in this case I get a rash on my lips. And I am allergic to Avocados the same way I am to honey. 

The only thing I do is stay aware of not eating it.

• 1 year later...
Rizwan Newbie
On 4/10/2009 at 4:20 PM, Nadia2009 said:

Honey is a natural product, a nutritive sweetener and even a medicine for some. Yet, I get sick if I take half a spoon. I used to get a light discomfort when I used honey in yogurt or tea. Then, one day I bought a different jar and decided to check if it was really honey or something else. I used on bread many spoons and made a hot chocolate. it was really good eating it but as soon as I finished, I knew I had made a big mistake. I was sick and sick in my stomach, terrible pain non-stop. When I threw up I was expecting a relief that never came. I vomited many other times but had the same pain. The only positive thing was there was no diarrhea :lol:

Then, I called a doctor (as we could have home visit at night time where I was) and I told the doctor bring something to stop my pain! He brought some pills with him and I took them. He didn't know what it was and told me he has never seen anyone sick because of honey and kept asking me what else I had. But I only had bread with my honey (maybe butter too) and hot chocolate.

I stayed away from honey but years after when people ask me how I can be allergic to such good product and everyone tells me to try a different honey a good one, I try a bit. I tried Manuka honey from Australia but in very small quantity and I didn't feel much. I have the impression that the Manuka honey doesn't hurt me as much as others.

Anyone else with these symptoms?

I am in the process of being identified as GI. But still wondering if I suffer from other things like candida overgrowth or allergy to some sugars.

I have the same issue and doctors could not identify the problem. They took an ultrasound of my bally as well as the endoscopy but everything was clear. Since then I stopped eating honey. So we are 2 now :D

After 2 or 3 years, I am searching for the answer for this problem and I saw your post. Every time I had a stomach ache, it was with the honey from supermarket so I don't think so its because of raw honey.

Rizwan

• 5 months later...
Lemuel Newbie

Hi, my name is Lemuel. I have a problem like yours. I always consumed honey, never a problem. However, for some years I can't eat anymore. When I eat at first I don't feel pain or any symptoms, but it takes 4 to 5 hours, there is a violent reaction in my digestive system, and I have to vomit, the reaction is so strong that my pressure goes up to 18 by 15, I get sick and I feel uncontrollable urge, until I finish vomiting I don't feel well. When I finish, I get better right away.

Lemuel Newbie

I had researched in Portuguese, my language, but I had not found a similar case, until I found your account today. Did you happen to discover something about what causes it?

trents Grand Master

Do both raw and processed honey make you guys ill? Honey can contain bio toxins, especially raw honey. https://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fst/whatsnew_fst_The_Risks_of_Eating_Raw_Honey.html#:~:text=Honey may contain natural toxins&text=The symptoms of poisoning due,or even death may occur.

Or, you may be intolerant to one of the sugars in honey. The main sugar is fructose.

Lemuel Newbie

Thanks for responding, I read the text of the link, it's interesting. It is already a beginning for me to discover why this rejection of my organism to honey. My organism is very "strange", because in addition to honey I have difficulties digesting meat (cow, pork and chicken), I feel unwell, a swollen belly, feeling sick, and sleep, etc. Substitute them for fish and seafood. About possible fructose intolerance, generally like many types of fruit, so far I haven't had a problem with it, I hope it doesn't change. Thanks for the tips I will be aware of the symptoms.

trents Grand Master

Your "organism"? Not sure what you are referring to with this word. Are you referring to your whole body or just your stomach (gut)? The definition of "organism" is an individual life form such as a plant, an animal or bacteria.

Edited by trents
Lemuel Newbie

I mean the intestine or digestive system.

• 1 year later...
Anniehall Enthusiast
On 11/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, Lemuel said:

I mean the intestine or digestive system.

Honey can have gluten or gluten cross reactives if the bees pollinated plants of that nature. Honey is risky for celiacs. I like Stevia but it often has corn. Agave is okay but gives me heart burn and is highly processed.