This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sublingual B12 Without Sorbitol?

Blondie

Blondie Apprentice

Anyone knows of a Sublingual B12 product without sorbitol in it? (that ofc includes mannitol aswell)

THANK YOU!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

I've also been looking (unsuccessfully so far) for a sublingual B12 without sweeteners, artificial or otherwise. Anyone?

mushroom Proficient

I had the same problem. Why don't they put Stevia in it now that the FDA has given its seal of approval? :o

ive Rookie

New Beginnings Nutritionals has B12 without sorbitol / mannitol / etc. Here is the link:

Open Original Shared Link

Other Ingredients: Purified water and potassium sorbate and citric acid.

Also I heard (but I am not sure) that Pure Encapsulations has pure B12 as well.

Hope that helps.

larry mac Enthusiast
Anyone knows of a Sublingual B12 product without sorbitol in it? (that ofc includes mannitol aswell)

THANK YOU!

What's the problem with a minute amount of sorbitol?

best regards, lm

YoloGx Rookie

I take co-enzyme B complex by Country Life. Its not sublingual, but just as effective, if not more so since the co-enzyme action makes the B vitamins go directly into the blood stream. Plus it is pretty inexpensive. Lots of bang for one's buck since this way you get a balanced load of absorpable B vitamins. Best taken away from food on an empty stomach.

I too have trouble with sorbitol by the way..

Bea

mushroom Proficient

best regards, lm

Sounds a bit like, "you can't have one breadcrumb?!!! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator
I take co-enzyme B complex by Country Life. Its not sublingual, but just as effective, if not more so since the co-enzyme action makes the B vitamins go directly into the blood stream. Plus it is pretty inexpensive. Lots of bang for one's buck since this way you get a balanced load of absorpable B vitamins. Best taken away from food on an empty stomach.

I too have trouble with sorbitol by the way..

Bea

It is my understanding, that the sublingual is a better bet, when it comes to getting the nutrients directly into the bloodstream. Simply because swallowing it means you're relying on the absorption of the gut. And malabsorption seems to be one main reason why we take the supplements in the first place. Though obviously, they don't have to be broken down first. As long as the sublingual has an active form, such as methylcobalamin, absorption should occur fairly effectively.

Have you seen any research to suggest that the Celiac gut will still effectively absorb active forms of vitamins?

I took a look at the Country Life product, and it doesn't seem too bad though, as B-complex supplements go. However, it only has 500 mcg of B12, which may not be enough, especially when it isn't sublingual.

I agree with mushroom's comment about Stevia, and I have no doubt it will be showing up in more places over time. However, since supplements aren't regulated the way food is, companies could already use Stevia. I've seen a few supplements here and there with it, but not many. Perhaps one reason is the cost.

YoloGx Rookie

My experience and understanding is that the co-enzyme b vitamins work better than the regular sub-linguals, but without the sorbitol. Once they go into the stomach, they go directly into the bloodstream bypassing the liver. My understanding is that the co-enzyme process makes it so you don't need to take as high a dosage as you might otherwise. Certainly it works for me whereas regular B's including regular B-12 etc. sub-linguals did practically nothing for me. If you are curious, try the Country Life and see if it works for you or not.

There are also sub-lingual co-enzyme B's in another brand...but the ones I have seen do have sorbitol in them and are much more expensive since each B vitamin is sold separately. However I did find that these sublingual co-enzyme B vitamins to be very effective.

What was happening for me three years ago was that the sheath on my nerves had degraded down to 50% which was also stressing my heart and brain, plus made me ill much of the time. In two weeks the sub-lingual co-enzyme B's turned this around for me (as far as eradicating excessive heart palpitations and reducing anxiety). It also made a huge difference in my health. I stopped getting ill all the time with every little virus that comes down the pike--and then having it far longer than most people.

I then discovered the CL brand and have stuck with it since it works equally well as the co-enzyme sub-linguals for me plus are more cost effective and balanced. Requires as I said however to be taken on an empty stomach. I take two caps a day.

Bea

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

best regards, lm

I can't have sorbitol but decided to try it anyway since its just a small amount and on the 3rd day got a huge canker sore right in the spot I was putting it. I too would like to find some without the sorbitol and mannitol.

• 3 weeks later...
RiceGuy Collaborator
My experience and understanding is that the co-enzyme b vitamins work better than the regular sub-linguals, but without the sorbitol. Once they go into the stomach, they go directly into the bloodstream bypassing the liver. My understanding is that the co-enzyme process makes it so you don't need to take as high a dosage as you might otherwise. Certainly it works for me whereas regular B's including regular B-12 etc. sub-linguals did practically nothing for me. If you are curious, try the Country Life and see if it works for you or not.

There are also sub-lingual co-enzyme B's in another brand...but the ones I have seen do have sorbitol in them and are much more expensive since each B vitamin is sold separately. However I did find that these sublingual co-enzyme B vitamins to be very effective.

What was happening for me three years ago was that the sheath on my nerves had degraded down to 50% which was also stressing my heart and brain, plus made me ill much of the time. In two weeks the sub-lingual co-enzyme B's turned this around for me (as far as eradicating excessive heart palpitations and reducing anxiety). It also made a huge difference in my health. I stopped getting ill all the time with every little virus that comes down the pike--and then having it far longer than most people.

I then discovered the CL brand and have stuck with it since it works equally well as the co-enzyme sub-linguals for me plus are more cost effective and balanced. Requires as I said however to be taken on an empty stomach. I take two caps a day.

Bea

I think we're actually talking about the same thing. The co-enzyme forms are indeed better. I also agree that many so-called sublinguals aren't methylcobalamin, or other form which can be assimilated without the help of the liver. The cyanocobalamin type needs conversion by the liver, yet is often used in sublinguals. I feel the companies that market this type are being deceptive - making people believe it will work better than it really will.

What concerns me however, is getting the most out of it, and that's why I choose the sublingual methylcobalamin type, since it can get directly into the bloodstream from under the tongue, and doesn't require the liver. The way I see it, any amount which ends up being swallowed might also have some benefit, but I don't yet trust my stomach and intestines to do their job effectively enough.

For those interested, I recently posted a list of B12 sublinguals, including one without sugar-alcohols (it has lactose).

Voss Newbie

Natural Factors:

ingredients: Lactose (from milk), cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable grade).

Archived