12 replies to this topic

#1 GFtraingirl

GFtraingirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

I have been gluten free for about 2 1/2 years, and, for the most part, I am feeling OK.

However, there is something that still bothers me at times, and I wonder if it could be citric acid. I ate earlier today, and had no stomach pain, yet a few hours later, after eating some gluten-free cookies which contains citric acid, I got the worst stomach ache. It has happened several times before, but I have never connected this pain and very sick feeling to citric acid.

For years, I have not been able to eat any fruit, other than an occasional banana and pineapple. Most fruits and fruit juices and fruit drinks give me bad stomach problems, as in pain and bloating, just like I had today.

I have searched here on the forums, but only found that some people posted something citric acid sensitivity in 2005; I feel I need more information. I have also goggled citric acid and realize now that my calcium citrate is made with citric acid. Frustrating since I have had really bad stomach problems lately, as in extremely loose bowls...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :-)
Diagnosed Hypothyroid August 2006 after years of being tested "normal" according to old guidelines.

Diagnosed Celiac December 2006, gluten-free since November 2006. Took over 25 years of doctor visits to find out what was wrong with my digestive track.

My two daughters, granddaughter, a nephew, two cousins and possibly my brother also have Celiac. Runs in my family on my mother's side.

I have other food sensitivities, but am slowly able to add some foods that used to make me sick since I am 100 % gluten free - I have finally become very good at "sniffing out" gluten... Practice makes perfect :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pele

pele

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

I quit eating anything containing citric acid last summer, because it did bother me. Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#3 GFtraingirl

GFtraingirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

I quit eating anything containing citric acid last summer, because it did bother me. Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.

Pele,

Thank you for your input. I am learning so much! Your comment just confirms what I have found out today: citric acid is not always made from fruit. I am going to stay away from it. Since I was so sick earlier today, I ate again once my stomach settled down. I ate something without citric acid, and I was fine. Great discovery!

NO more citric acid for this gal! :-)
Diagnosed Hypothyroid August 2006 after years of being tested "normal" according to old guidelines.

Diagnosed Celiac December 2006, gluten-free since November 2006. Took over 25 years of doctor visits to find out what was wrong with my digestive track.

My two daughters, granddaughter, a nephew, two cousins and possibly my brother also have Celiac. Runs in my family on my mother's side.

I have other food sensitivities, but am slowly able to add some foods that used to make me sick since I am 100 % gluten free - I have finally become very good at "sniffing out" gluten... Practice makes perfect :-)

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.

I've never heard of this--do you have a link that you can share?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 GFtraingirl

GFtraingirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

I've never heard of this--do you have a link that you can share?

This link says that citric acid made from wheat is so "processed" that it no longer contains any gluten:
http://www.glutenfre....php#citricacid
Not sure I believe that or not.

This web site suggests that citric acid COULD contain gluten:
http://www.allergy-d...e-wheat-allergy

This web site tells us that 90 % of citric acid is made from corn - and some of the last 10 % may be made from wheat:
http://wiki.answers...._contain_gluten

This web site says citric acid is gluten free:
http://www.clanthomp...p;category_id=4

This web site tells more in detail how citric acid is made:
http://www.answers.c...pic/citric-acid

I know I do not tolerate fruit and berries very well - I never have, and I get sick every time I try to eat anything other than pineapple in moderation. I also know that earlier today I got sick when I ate something with citric acid in it, something I have suspected earlier. Today just proved it. Whether that is because the citric acid is made from wheat, been fermented with the use of yeast, which I also react to, or that it is simply too acidic for my system, I do not know. After more then 50 years of being undiagnosed with Celiac, my system is extremely sensitive to a lot of different foods and food ingredients.

It is a path we all must walk and find out what we ourselves can and cannot eat. :-)

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:53 AM

When I looked into citric acid, what I read indicated that most was made from corn.

However, two things stand out about your posts. One is that you're able to eat some pineapple without too much trouble. I wonder if this is because it contains Bromelain. Might this be an indicator that you need a digestive enzyme supplement? The other thing is that you are sensitive to yeast. What I've read seems to indicate that yeasts prefer an acidic environment. So perhaps the yeast multiply more rapidly when you eat citric acid. This makes me think you might have an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

How do you feel after eating coconut oil? It has caprylic acid, which inhibits yeasts.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

It is a path we all must walk and find out what we ourselves can and cannot eat. :-)

So true :) I also went for many, many years sick and undiagnosed. I constantly have a hard time knowing why certain things don't agree with me in one way or another.

Thank you for those links--I had seen the Clan Thompson one but not the others. I also have difficulties with citric acid, and also with citrus fruits. I always asumed it was the acid nature of these things, but who knows.....

The fact is that ever since I went gluten-free, I have either developed or discovered so many other intolerances. I'm constantly just trying to make sense of it all just like you. :)

Thanks again!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 GFtraingirl

GFtraingirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

When I looked into citric acid, what I read indicated that most was made from corn.

However, two things stand out about your posts. One is that you're able to eat some pineapple without too much trouble. I wonder if this is because it contains Bromelain. Might this be an indicator that you need a digestive enzyme supplement? The other thing is that you are sensitive to yeast. What I've read seems to indicate that yeasts prefer an acidic environment. So perhaps the yeast multiply more rapidly when you eat citric acid. This makes me think you might have an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

How do you feel after eating coconut oil? It has caprylic acid, which inhibits yeasts.

RiceGuy,

Your reply is very interesting. I have recently learned about Bromalain, and have used it once in awhile to calm my stomach down, but I am not sure I use it properly. I will look more at the link you provided; I appreciate the help to learn more! I am so amazed about how much I am learning about all this. Makes life interesting. :-)

Perhaps it is the Bromelain in pineapple that makes me tolerate it, but no other fruit. I have not tried coconut oil, but know I can eat coconut without any problems.

#9 GFtraingirl

GFtraingirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

So true :) I also went for many, many years sick and undiagnosed. I constantly have a hard time knowing why certain things don't agree with me in one way or another.

Thank you for those links--I had seen the Clan Thompson one but not the others. I also have difficulties with citric acid, and also with citrus fruits. I always asumed it was the acid nature of these things, but who knows.....

The fact is that ever since I went gluten-free, I have either developed or discovered so many other intolerances. I'm constantly just trying to make sense of it all just like you. :)

Thanks again!

Jerseyangel,

Just like you, I have found more sensitivities since I went gluten free. I believe I had those sensitivities all along, but could not find them as long as I was eating gluten. It takes time, but it pays off when you feel yourself getting healthier.

#10 pele

pele

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Rice guy--

Pineapple is one of the few foods I crave all the time after two gluten-free years. I will check out bromelain. Thanks.

JA and GFTG, I went decades undiagnosed, too. Still dealing with the damage to the endocrine system.
Gluten free 3/07 self diagnosed
Specific Carbohydrate Diet 4/08--yes, it works.

#11 Rebecca's mom

Rebecca's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

I am so glad I ran across this thread - I've been having reactions to canned pineapple, and I couldn't figure out what could have been causing it! I have a different "reaction" from most people - I start itching uncontrollably when I accidentally ingest gluten, and it doesn't take much at all. I also have been having problems with an ingredient called "Natamycin", which is now a common additive in shredded cheese.

Thanks so much for the info!
Teresa Koch
Fort Worth, Texas

Youngest daughter diagnosed with celiac disease April, 2008

Self-diagnosed Dermatitis Herpetiformis after daughter's Celiac diagnosis
Confirmation of HLA-DQ*05*0201 March, 2009 (Quest Diagnostics)

Whole family Gluten-Free since April, 2008

Mom - HLA-DQ 2.5, 3.7 (Confirmed celiac)
Dad - HLA-DQ 1.6, 2.2 (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive)
DD#2 - HLA-DQ 2.2, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#3 - HLA-DQ 1.6, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#4 - HLA-DQ 2.5, 2.2 (Confirmed celiac)
DD#1 - Away at college

#12 samcarter

samcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

I can't tolerate oranges, orange juice, or lemonade--but I don't know if that's a citrus issue or citric acid. I take Citracal every day and have no issues so far with it.
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

#13 Rebecca's mom

Rebecca's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

I haven't noticed a problem with citrus fruits, but I haven't eaten any in a while - it will be interesting to see what happens. It appears that - in my case, at least - I personally am having a reaction to the Aspergillus mold that is used during the manufacturing of "food grade" citric acid. I have a similar reaction to vinegar, as well - apparently some people with mold allergies can have bad reactions to vinegar.

I knew that I was allergic to mold - it never occurred to me that mold could be an INTERNAL allergy......
Teresa Koch
Fort Worth, Texas

Youngest daughter diagnosed with celiac disease April, 2008

Self-diagnosed Dermatitis Herpetiformis after daughter's Celiac diagnosis
Confirmation of HLA-DQ*05*0201 March, 2009 (Quest Diagnostics)

Whole family Gluten-Free since April, 2008

Mom - HLA-DQ 2.5, 3.7 (Confirmed celiac)
Dad - HLA-DQ 1.6, 2.2 (Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive)
DD#2 - HLA-DQ 2.2, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#3 - HLA-DQ 1.6, 3.7 (NCGS)
DD#4 - HLA-DQ 2.5, 2.2 (Confirmed celiac)
DD#1 - Away at college

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: