Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Citric Acid Sensitivity

13 posts in this topic

I have been gluten free for about 2 1/2 years, and, for the most part, I am feeling OK.

However, there is something that still bothers me at times, and I wonder if it could be citric acid. I ate earlier today, and had no stomach pain, yet a few hours later, after eating some gluten-free cookies which contains citric acid, I got the worst stomach ache. It has happened several times before, but I have never connected this pain and very sick feeling to citric acid.

For years, I have not been able to eat any fruit, other than an occasional banana and pineapple. Most fruits and fruit juices and fruit drinks give me bad stomach problems, as in pain and bloating, just like I had today.

I have searched here on the forums, but only found that some people posted something citric acid sensitivity in 2005; I feel I need more information. I have also goggled citric acid and realize now that my calcium citrate is made with citric acid. Frustrating since I have had really bad stomach problems lately, as in extremely loose bowls...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :-)

Ads by Google:

I quit eating anything containing citric acid last summer, because it did bother me. Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.

I quit eating anything containing citric acid last summer, because it did bother me. Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.

Pele,

Thank you for your input. I am learning so much! Your comment just confirms what I have found out today: citric acid is not always made from fruit. I am going to stay away from it. Since I was so sick earlier today, I ate again once my stomach settled down. I ate something without citric acid, and I was fine. Great discovery!

NO more citric acid for this gal! :-)

Also, citric acid is not usually made from citrus but made from grain. In some cases, citric acid or lactic acid might be made from wheat.

I've never heard of this--do you have a link that you can share?

I've never heard of this--do you have a link that you can share?

This link says that citric acid made from wheat is so "processed" that it no longer contains any gluten:

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#citricacid

Not sure I believe that or not.

This web site suggests that citric acid COULD contain gluten:

http://www.allergy-details.com/161-avoid-t...e-wheat-allergy

This web site tells us that 90 % of citric acid is made from corn - and some of the last 10 % may be made from wheat:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_citric_acid_contain_gluten

This web site says citric acid is gluten free:

http://www.clanthompson.com/res_info_lists...p;category_id=4

This web site tells more in detail how citric acid is made:

http://www.answers.com/topic/citric-acid

I know I do not tolerate fruit and berries very well - I never have, and I get sick every time I try to eat anything other than pineapple in moderation. I also know that earlier today I got sick when I ate something with citric acid in it, something I have suspected earlier. Today just proved it. Whether that is because the citric acid is made from wheat, been fermented with the use of yeast, which I also react to, or that it is simply too acidic for my system, I do not know. After more then 50 years of being undiagnosed with Celiac, my system is extremely sensitive to a lot of different foods and food ingredients.

It is a path we all must walk and find out what we ourselves can and cannot eat. :-)

When I looked into citric acid, what I read indicated that most was made from corn.

However, two things stand out about your posts. One is that you're able to eat some pineapple without too much trouble. I wonder if this is because it contains Bromelain. Might this be an indicator that you need a digestive enzyme supplement? The other thing is that you are sensitive to yeast. What I've read seems to indicate that yeasts prefer an acidic environment. So perhaps the yeast multiply more rapidly when you eat citric acid. This makes me think you might have an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

How do you feel after eating coconut oil? It has caprylic acid, which inhibits yeasts.

It is a path we all must walk and find out what we ourselves can and cannot eat. :-)

So true :) I also went for many, many years sick and undiagnosed. I constantly have a hard time knowing why certain things don't agree with me in one way or another.

Thank you for those links--I had seen the Clan Thompson one but not the others. I also have difficulties with citric acid, and also with citrus fruits. I always asumed it was the acid nature of these things, but who knows.....

The fact is that ever since I went gluten-free, I have either developed or discovered so many other intolerances. I'm constantly just trying to make sense of it all just like you. :)

Thanks again!

When I looked into citric acid, what I read indicated that most was made from corn.

However, two things stand out about your posts. One is that you're able to eat some pineapple without too much trouble. I wonder if this is because it contains Bromelain. Might this be an indicator that you need a digestive enzyme supplement? The other thing is that you are sensitive to yeast. What I've read seems to indicate that yeasts prefer an acidic environment. So perhaps the yeast multiply more rapidly when you eat citric acid. This makes me think you might have an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

How do you feel after eating coconut oil? It has caprylic acid, which inhibits yeasts.

RiceGuy,

Your reply is very interesting. I have recently learned about Bromalain, and have used it once in awhile to calm my stomach down, but I am not sure I use it properly. I will look more at the link you provided; I appreciate the help to learn more! I am so amazed about how much I am learning about all this. Makes life interesting. :-)

Perhaps it is the Bromelain in pineapple that makes me tolerate it, but no other fruit. I have not tried coconut oil, but know I can eat coconut without any problems.

So true :) I also went for many, many years sick and undiagnosed. I constantly have a hard time knowing why certain things don't agree with me in one way or another.

Thank you for those links--I had seen the Clan Thompson one but not the others. I also have difficulties with citric acid, and also with citrus fruits. I always asumed it was the acid nature of these things, but who knows.....

The fact is that ever since I went gluten-free, I have either developed or discovered so many other intolerances. I'm constantly just trying to make sense of it all just like you. :)

Thanks again!

Jerseyangel,

Just like you, I have found more sensitivities since I went gluten free. I believe I had those sensitivities all along, but could not find them as long as I was eating gluten. It takes time, but it pays off when you feel yourself getting healthier.

Rice guy--

Pineapple is one of the few foods I crave all the time after two gluten-free years. I will check out bromelain. Thanks.

JA and GFTG, I went decades undiagnosed, too. Still dealing with the damage to the endocrine system.

I am so glad I ran across this thread - I've been having reactions to canned pineapple, and I couldn't figure out what could have been causing it! I have a different "reaction" from most people - I start itching uncontrollably when I accidentally ingest gluten, and it doesn't take much at all. I also have been having problems with an ingredient called "Natamycin", which is now a common additive in shredded cheese.

Thanks so much for the info!

I can't tolerate oranges, orange juice, or lemonade--but I don't know if that's a citrus issue or citric acid. I take Citracal every day and have no issues so far with it.

I haven't noticed a problem with citrus fruits, but I haven't eaten any in a while - it will be interesting to see what happens. It appears that - in my case, at least - I personally am having a reaction to the Aspergillus mold that is used during the manufacturing of "food grade" citric acid. I have a similar reaction to vinegar, as well - apparently some people with mold allergies can have bad reactions to vinegar.

I knew that I was allergic to mold - it never occurred to me that mold could be an INTERNAL allergy......