1 reply to this topic

#1 Just_Confused

Just_Confused

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:17 PM

I went to my allergist because I was getting dizzy and short of breath when I ate certain foods. I am allergic to 35 out of 41 things but nothing food related according to the skin tests. I was reading about Candida and Celiac. I have a skin condition (several diagnois from roscea to dermititus sp?) I have asthma with frequent croup like cough that last for a week to 3 month and need to go on heavy doses of prednioise. I am not sure where to go from here. My skin tends to get more inflammed when I eat things that are higher in Gluten and I have the unexplained coughing attacks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 09:39 PM

My allergist had no idea how to test for Celiac Disease. So unless you have a better allergist, I would suggest you find yourself a different doctor who could test you. All of the symptoms you mentioned could be caused by gluten intolerance, but they could also be something else. You should ask for a Celiac Panel, and that should include the following:

Anti-gliadin IgA Antibodies
Anti-gliadin IgG Antibodies
Anti-Endomysial IgA Antibodies (EMA)
Anti-human tissue transglutaninase IgA (tTg)
total serum IgA-to make sure you are not IgA deficient

Some doctors choose to do only the gliadin tests, but these really aren't enough. And some only do either the EMA or the tTg, and that is okay, but both would be better. And the total IgA is very important, without this you can pretty much just throw any negative test result in the trash. IgA deficency is more common in Celiacs than the general population and it would result in a false negative reading.

Or you can go a much easier route and test with Enterolab , but your doctors might not accept the results. The tests are new, but very accurate, and they pick up gluten intolerance in its early stages, rather than having to wait until your body is producing enough antibodies to be picked up i the blood tests. Check them out if you want to, many of us here have been tested through them. I highly recommend them.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: