Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Get Canker Sores Or Chapped Lips?

• Please log in to reply

25 replies to this topic

#1 PeachBlossoms

PeachBlossoms

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

Hi, this is my first post here on this forum.

My brother was diagnosed as a SEVERE Celiac when he was a child. It runs in the family. And doctors have told me that I am "wheat sensitive" :P.

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use? I realize its not an official celiac-related symptom. I thought it was always just a problem in my family, but am wondering if it could be related to the celiac disease. I am not talking about cold sores or the Herpes Simplex Virus.

We've also had had a problem with incurable "acne" --- acne that last well past our teenage years (26 years and 24 years old). We've always had VERY oily skin and hair.

I've been to SO many doctors who were unhelpful and finally started doing my own research. I discovered that ALLLL of my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating a certain food (not gluten related) which contained a large quantity of a certain amino acid. I happened to find medical research that said many celiacs produce too much of this amino acid. When I stop eating the food, all of these symptoms disappear. There is so little research.

So, I am wondering if there are any other celiacs with these chronic symptoms??
Can't eat: Wheat & Grains, Soy & legumes, Dairy, Nuts & Seeds, Nightshades, Cruciferous Vegetables, Stone Fruits, Citrus Fruit, Zucchini & Squash, Grapes, Apples, Red Meat, Yeast, Mushrooms.
Can't eggs or meat that is not 100% grass fed (can't eat soy or corn fed animals or products).
Bananas & Sweet potatoes give me a medium reaction.
I now eat organically and I notice I feel a bit worse when I don't eat organic produce.

What do I eat? Celery, clams, Olives/Olive oil, Blue Berries, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes & Bananas (yes, they make me so sleepy), Asparagus.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use?

Yes, this happens to me.

BTW - welcome aboard!

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I also get canker sores. I haven't had any since being gluten-free. :D

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#4 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

My brother was diagnosed as a SEVERE Celiac when he was a child. It runs in the family. And doctors have told me that I am "wheat sensitive" :P.

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use? I realize its not an official celiac-related symptom. I thought it was always just a problem in my family, but am wondering if it could be related to the celiac disease. I am not talking about cold sores or the Herpes Simplex Virus.

We've also had had a problem with incurable "acne" --- acne that last well past our teenage years (26 years and 24 years old). We've always had VERY oily skin and hair.

I've been to SO many doctors who were unhelpful and finally started doing my own research. I discovered that ALLLL of my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating a certain food (not gluten related) which contained a large quantity of a certain amino acid. I happened to find medical research that said many celiacs produce too much of this amino acid. When I stop eating the food, all of these symptoms disappear. There is so little research.

Inquiring minds want to know.. what amino acid?
Yes, lots of canker sores growing up and dry eyes and chapped lips still.
CS

#5 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Sure sign of glutening for me is chapped lips......I'm guessing it's mainly due to dehydration, I also get a headache and just feel generally dried out. And my oldest child, he had constant sores inside of his mouth until he went gluten free, it took a while for him to stop getting them. Those are miserable little buggers, and made brushing his teeth a nightmare!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#6 eringopaint

eringopaint

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

I used to get constant canker sores, and chapped lips until I went gluten free. All of my family get them but only those of us who went gluten free got rid of them. Takes a while after going gluten-free for them to disappear... and if I get accidental gluten I sometimes get one now.

But it was a great added bonus to not get them anymore.

erin
erin rogers pickering

#7 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use?

That just might be part of the problem, though. Apparently, you can get 'immune' (I can't think of a better word for it right now) to the over-use of chapstick. iow, constant use can make your lips even more dry, and you *need* the chapstick - vicious cycle. :) Besides, I hear chapstick isn't gluten-free (?). I don't use any lip balm, at all, anymore, and my lips aren't usually too overly dry.

My gums bother me quite a lot - sore, inflamed sometimes.
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

#8 maile

maile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

me too!

canker sores for certain and I 've always had chapped lips but never had associated it with the gluten (and I only use lip balm occasionally)

I also get a very dry throat at the same time, as taweavmo3 said probably due to dehydration but it only seems to show up if I get glutened
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

#9 lpjourney

lpjourney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Only 3 weeks gluten free - and now realizing - my constantly dry lips are slowly going away. Never realized it could be related to gluten. I drink plenty of water, so I couldn't understand why my lips were always dry.

My hands were always dry too, I'm guessing this is all related and they seem to be slowly clearing up also.

Thank goodness for this forum, I'm learning so many things.
Liisa

----------------------------------------------------------

Celiac official 3/30/09 mild case - Pre-Type 2 Diabetes - Mother dealing officially w/Celiac since 1992 - severe case at time of DX

#10 mslee

mslee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

Oh I hope it's not a sign of glutening!

I have had badly chapped/split lips since going gluten free, I have tried everything...no chap stick/lip gloss (in case there was an ingredient I was sensitive to), tried straight olive oil or coconut oil, tried all natural brands like badger balm, tried petroleum based like "chap stick" or nivea, tried taking more B vitamins..still there & I am SO careful with my diet.

I have heard some vitamin deficiencies can cause cracking of the lips but I'm not sure which.

Before the celiac dx I would get these little water blisters in my mouth, those have gone away..except once when I got glutened real bad.

I have a couple oral ulcers that come & go but that is the lupus. fun!

#11 SBisglutenfree

SBisglutenfree

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

I would also love to know which food you cut out due to the amnio acid. Canker sores were never a problem prior to going gluten free a month ago, but I noticed that I am getting small ones now as well as chapped lips.

As far as the acne, have you tried cutting out dairy? I've been waiting to "grow out of the acne thing" (I'm 43), but once I cut out the dairy, I hardly ever get acne now (only if I eat the cheese that I absolutely have to have every once in a while). I had to cut dairy out of my diet due to respiratory problems, so the acne clearing up was definately an added bonus.

I'm also looking for a bbq sauce you can just buy at the regular grocery store....

Good luck!
dairy free (except a little cheese) - 2006
gluten free - 3.11.2009
I hope I never have to give up fruit...

The alimentary canal is thirty-two feet long. You control only the first three inches of it. Control it well.
~Kin Hubbard

#12 nasalady

nasalady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I get canker sores all over the inside of my mouth if I've been badly glutened. I haven't had any canker sores since I went gluten free.

As to the chapped lips, yes, my lips are always dry (I carry Chapstick or some sort of lip balm everywhere). But I think I've recently developed Sjogren's Syndrome, which causes dry mouth and dry eyes; it's another autoimmune disease. I happen to be really really good at developing autoimmune diseases! :(

But this time I apparently had help.

I've been taking Fosamax for osteopenia but just recently found out that Fosamax has been implicated in several cases of women suddenly developing Sjogren's. So I'm going to ask my doctor about alternatives to Fosamax, because it can cause cancer too.
Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

#13 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

I got canker sores ~ weekly for 20 years. Since going gluten-free I've had 3 or 4, only after an accidental glutening. My son also used to get them...he once got one with a few minutes of eating gluten, which was the final straw for me and he went gluten-free shortly thereafter.

I've also had the water blisters develop on contact w/in 15 minutes of eating gluten.

I also have the chapped lip problem develope suddenly last year, along with a dry mouth and eyes and other areas. I suspect Sjogrens but am hoping that it clears up now that I'm reliably gluten-free.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#14 eringopaint

eringopaint

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

hmmm... I have very dry eyes but it was always blamed on my hard contact lenses. If it's Sjogrens and in turn gluten, would make sense to me.
erin rogers pickering

#15 wendyloo

wendyloo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

[Hello - I was amazed to find someone else who could connect chapped lips with gluton problems. My daughter has had chonric chap lips all her life, she is now 9 and we finally found a doctor who would look further than constipation as her only problem, and she is gluton sensitive. Now that makes sense with the always chapped lips, I just knew it! So it was nice finding your note and being allowed to tell you that yes, you are not alone with the chapped lips and gluton issue. Wow, another answer finally received. Thank You

name='PeachBlossoms' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:02 AM' post='524982']

[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: