This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Get Canker Sores Or Chapped Lips?

PeachBlossoms

PeachBlossoms Rookie

Hi, this is my first post here on this forum.

My brother was diagnosed as a SEVERE Celiac when he was a child. It runs in the family. And doctors have told me that I am "wheat sensitive" :P.

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use? I realize its not an official celiac-related symptom. I thought it was always just a problem in my family, but am wondering if it could be related to the celiac disease. I am not talking about cold sores or the Herpes Simplex Virus.

We've also had had a problem with incurable "acne" --- acne that last well past our teenage years (26 years and 24 years old). We've always had VERY oily skin and hair.

I've been to SO many doctors who were unhelpful and finally started doing my own research. I discovered that ALLLL of my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating a certain food (not gluten related) which contained a large quantity of a certain amino acid. I happened to find medical research that said many celiacs produce too much of this amino acid. When I stop eating the food, all of these symptoms disappear. There is so little research.

So, I am wondering if there are any other celiacs with these chronic symptoms??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use?

Yes, this happens to me.

BTW - welcome aboard!

Salax Contributor

I also get canker sores. I haven't had any since being gluten-free. :D

chasbari Apprentice

My brother was diagnosed as a SEVERE Celiac when he was a child. It runs in the family. And doctors have told me that I am "wheat sensitive" :P.

This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use? I realize its not an official celiac-related symptom. I thought it was always just a problem in my family, but am wondering if it could be related to the celiac disease. I am not talking about cold sores or the Herpes Simplex Virus.

We've also had had a problem with incurable "acne" --- acne that last well past our teenage years (26 years and 24 years old). We've always had VERY oily skin and hair.

I've been to SO many doctors who were unhelpful and finally started doing my own research. I discovered that ALLLL of my symptoms disappeared when I stopped eating a certain food (not gluten related) which contained a large quantity of a certain amino acid. I happened to find medical research that said many celiacs produce too much of this amino acid. When I stop eating the food, all of these symptoms disappear. There is so little research.

Inquiring minds want to know.. what amino acid?

Yes, lots of canker sores growing up and dry eyes and chapped lips still.

CS

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Sure sign of glutening for me is chapped lips......I'm guessing it's mainly due to dehydration, I also get a headache and just feel generally dried out. And my oldest child, he had constant sores inside of his mouth until he went gluten free, it took a while for him to stop getting them. Those are miserable little buggers, and made brushing his teeth a nightmare!

eringopaint Newbie

I used to get constant canker sores, and chapped lips until I went gluten free. All of my family get them but only those of us who went gluten free got rid of them. Takes a while after going gluten-free for them to disappear... and if I get accidental gluten I sometimes get one now.

But it was a great added bonus to not get them anymore.

erin

Di-gfree Apprentice
This might seem like an odd question, but are there any celiacs out there who get canker sores and unexplainable/chronic chapped lips no matter if it is summer or winter and no matter how much chapstick you use?

That just might be part of the problem, though. Apparently, you can get 'immune' (I can't think of a better word for it right now) to the over-use of chapstick. iow, constant use can make your lips even more dry, and you *need* the chapstick - vicious cycle. :) Besides, I hear chapstick isn't gluten-free (?). I don't use any lip balm, at all, anymore, and my lips aren't usually too overly dry.

My gums bother me quite a lot - sore, inflamed sometimes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maile Newbie

me too!

canker sores for certain and I 've always had chapped lips but never had associated it with the gluten (and I only use lip balm occasionally)

I also get a very dry throat at the same time, as taweavmo3 said probably due to dehydration but it only seems to show up if I get glutened

lpjourney Rookie

Only 3 weeks gluten free - and now realizing - my constantly dry lips are slowly going away. Never realized it could be related to gluten. I drink plenty of water, so I couldn't understand why my lips were always dry.

My hands were always dry too, I'm guessing this is all related and they seem to be slowly clearing up also.

Thank goodness for this forum, I'm learning so many things.

mslee Apprentice

Oh I hope it's not a sign of glutening!

I have had badly chapped/split lips since going gluten free, I have tried everything...no chap stick/lip gloss (in case there was an ingredient I was sensitive to), tried straight olive oil or coconut oil, tried all natural brands like badger balm, tried petroleum based like "chap stick" or nivea, tried taking more B vitamins..still there & I am SO careful with my diet.

I have heard some vitamin deficiencies can cause cracking of the lips but I'm not sure which.

Before the celiac dx I would get these little water blisters in my mouth, those have gone away..except once when I got glutened real bad.

I have a couple oral ulcers that come & go but that is the lupus. fun!

SBisglutenfree Rookie

I would also love to know which food you cut out due to the amnio acid. Canker sores were never a problem prior to going gluten free a month ago, but I noticed that I am getting small ones now as well as chapped lips.

As far as the acne, have you tried cutting out dairy? I've been waiting to "grow out of the acne thing" (I'm 43), but once I cut out the dairy, I hardly ever get acne now (only if I eat the cheese that I absolutely have to have every once in a while). I had to cut dairy out of my diet due to respiratory problems, so the acne clearing up was definately an added bonus.

I'm also looking for a bbq sauce you can just buy at the regular grocery store....

Good luck!

nasalady Contributor

I get canker sores all over the inside of my mouth if I've been badly glutened. I haven't had any canker sores since I went gluten free.

As to the chapped lips, yes, my lips are always dry (I carry Chapstick or some sort of lip balm everywhere). But I think I've recently developed Sjogren's Syndrome, which causes dry mouth and dry eyes; it's another autoimmune disease. I happen to be really really good at developing autoimmune diseases! :(

But this time I apparently had help.

I've been taking Fosamax for osteopenia but just recently found out that Fosamax has been implicated in several cases of women suddenly developing Sjogren's. So I'm going to ask my doctor about alternatives to Fosamax, because it can cause cancer too.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I got canker sores ~ weekly for 20 years. Since going gluten-free I've had 3 or 4, only after an accidental glutening. My son also used to get them...he once got one with a few minutes of eating gluten, which was the final straw for me and he went gluten-free shortly thereafter.

I've also had the water blisters develop on contact w/in 15 minutes of eating gluten.

I also have the chapped lip problem develope suddenly last year, along with a dry mouth and eyes and other areas. I suspect Sjogrens but am hoping that it clears up now that I'm reliably gluten-free.

eringopaint Newbie

hmmm... I have very dry eyes but it was always blamed on my hard contact lenses. If it's Sjogrens and in turn gluten, would make sense to me.

wendyloo Newbie

[Hello - I was amazed to find someone else who could connect chapped lips with gluton problems. My daughter has had chonric chap lips all her life, she is now 9 and we finally found a doctor who would look further than constipation as her only problem, and she is gluton sensitive. Now that makes sense with the always chapped lips, I just knew it! So it was nice finding your note and being allowed to tell you that yes, you are not alone with the chapped lips and gluton issue. Wow, another answer finally received. Thank You

name='PeachBlossoms' date='Apr 13 2009, 10:02 AM' post='524982']

Hydrokube Rookie

wendyloo, what food did you stop eating that made your symptoms disappear? I have terrible acne that won't go away (I'm 25 years old), and I actually have a canker sore right now!

Bottom-Line Newbie

Yep I get canker sore really bad and the doctors all said they weren't sure why I got them but it was most likely because my immune system was low. As long as I stay away from gluten, the canker sores stay away from me.

Libbyanne Newbie

I've been gluten-free for a week and woke up with a canker sore this morning (had accidentally ingested gluten the morning before in my breakfast - maple syrup on gluten-free Waffles <_<) I can't remember the last time I had a canker sore. That is the second time I've ingested gluten on accident so far and it seems my list of reactions just keeps getting longer. This is getting very frustrating :unsure:

Leslied Newbie

Hi this is my first post ever. I do not know what "Pinned" is before the topic and color. I am on the Celiac diet although my blood test came back negative. I have all the symptoms (Dr. thought I had Celiac) and was gluten free almost 2 weeks before the blood test. So I continue to have my doubts about whether I have it or not.

Although I am still on the Celiac diet, I continue to have canker sores and a bad burning taste on my lips and tongue. I have been yeast free for years. I find I am now lactose intolerant. The additives included on the Celiac additives list had made me sick. My medications have been reformulated to eliminate the additives and fillers. I feel somewhat better.

But I continue with acid, canker sores, a burning tongue and lips. I would like to put the face with the red tongue but I do not know how.

Please let me know if my posting is in the right place, or if I threw in too many things. I know nothing about posting.

Leslied

eringopaint Newbie

My canker sores are gone after 1 yr gluten-free. My lips are no longer chapped all the time.

I wear hard lenses and my eyes had been getting progressively drier in the last few years, heading toward a point of giving up contacts. Last spring when I saw the Dr he recommended a prescription to help produce tears. Since I had just started on the gluten-free diet I decided to skip the prescription and see what happened.

On Tuesday I saw the eye Dr and he was very surprised at the change in my eyes... nowhere near as dry as they had been in past visits. He asked what I was doing differently and seemed informed about celiac.

Have to believe the gluten had something to do with it.

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer

Sores and chapped lips = food allergies

You have a delicate system.

I used to get those canker sores in my mouth too.... I got them only from eating gluten and wheat products. I only would have 1 or 2.

They went away almost immediately, when I started the gluten/wheat free diet.

They can be a sign of a weak immune system as well. Normally, your doctor will test you for anything that would compromise your immune system. I never had anything that would really compromise me at all. I went through a lot of test with my hematologist.

Most doctors think of thrush first..when you have anything like that going on.

You can get sores on your tongue, if u have allergies, anemia or some other things.

Most the time, if you have this.... the hospital or doctor will ask you...

Are you following the gluten diet???

If you have alot of pain with them... You should gargle with salt water or use some special mouthwash/cream(oral gel) for the pain...

They can hurt, when you eat certain foods..

hope that helped...

brazen20au Newbie

before my 2yo was diagnosed she had a little sore in the corner of her mouth (on the outside) that had been there for months. (the dr had told me it was normal and not to worry about it). hasn't been seen since she went gluten-free.

i get my dx today but i almost always have a mouthful of sore spots :( they aren't ulcers as even my dentist couldn't see anything when she checked, and it's definitely not infected gums. (i've never heard of canker sores before so am assuming i have what you're talking about). the dentist thinks i have 'burning gum syndrome' which usually only old (70's, 80's) women get.

Leslied Newbie

It is so nice to see that there are so many new members :D I am going to a gastro enterologist today to see if he can help me with the sores that remain, some of the symptoms that continue after following a yeast free gluten fee lactose free diet for several weeks now. Foods that I have eaten before are causing my mouth to burn immediately.

I had a hard time finally finding a doctor who diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, and I go to this appointment almost ready for the attitude a doctor often gives to women who have complaints that are not easy to resolve. I have my fingers crossed.

It is wonderful to get so many answers and feel supported.

Thanks.

purple Community Regular

My dd recently told me she had chapped lips and if she used "lip stuff" they got more chapped. She has had canker sores before but only a couple of them. I will take more notice of both from now on.

Same with her skin, if she uses lotions, they bother her skin as if she has drier skin.

Also she has had oily hair recently. When she ate gluten it made her head itch which caused her hair to be more oily. When she wasn't scratching, it wasn't oily. Look up "sebum" for oily hair and skin.

Thanks for this thread!

Anna and Marie Newbie

Hey Peach Blossom! ;)

I've had severely dry lips with and without gluten so that's a toss up. The acne though, I understand. I'm only 18 but I've never had a problem until I got kidney infections then it was just the infection sthat came out as acne, perhaps thats the problem? I mean it could be any infection.... Any way, I'm waiting for a full auto-immune blood test to come back. I may have more so maybe thats related. I hope your brother and your self do well!,

~Anna~

Archived