14 replies to this topic

#1 LandonL

LandonL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

does anyone take the probiotic called "align" is this an ok probiotic to take with celiac disease, and is it ok to take a probiotic everyday, or should they only be taken if your taking antibiotics?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

I personally believe probiotics are really vital to intestinal health. I take tons of them a day. If you have celiac your intestine probably isnt making them very well and you may need to supplement. Enteric-coated are going to implant better. Jarro is the premier brand of probiotics and they are shelf stable so no refrigeration necessary. I have met alot of people at the natural food store I worked at who swear by them. Interestingly, if you were not breastfed they are further beneficial.
Gluten free since 01/09
Dairy free since 02/09
Citrus/Citric acid free recently.
Infertility/miscarriage
Neuropathy and Muscle pain...now resolved!
Digestive issues since teens
Dad has Diverticulitus and IBS

"Its a long road, but a journey worth taking."

#3 LandonL

LandonL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

I personally believe probiotics are really vital to intestinal health. I take tons of them a day. If you have celiac your intestine probably isnt making them very well and you may need to supplement. Enteric-coated are going to implant better. Jarro is the premier brand of probiotics and they are shelf stable so no refrigeration necessary. I have met alot of people at the natural food store I worked at who swear by them. Interestingly, if you were not breastfed they are further beneficial.

are probiotics like other pills, does taking them everyday affect your liver? I thought taking pills is hard on your liver?

#4 Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

are probiotics like other pills, does taking them everyday affect your liver? I thought taking pills is hard on your liver?

Not that I know of. I think thats just medicines. It should be dissolved in your stomach and intestine. I dont think its like that for vitamins. You could drink them, they have kefir, yogurt and other foods with naturally occuring bacteria. IE: miso, kim-chee,. There is also powdered forms available. You could open the capsules into smoothies if you want. I really think if you take pills in capsule form they should never reach your liver. Once they are in your stomach they are dissolved.
Gluten free since 01/09
Dairy free since 02/09
Infertility/miscarriage

#5 LandonL

LandonL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Not that I know of. I think thats just medicines. It should be dissolved in your stomach and intestine. I dont think its like that for vitamins. You could drink them, they have kefir, yogurt and other foods with naturally occuring bacteria. IE: miso, kim-chee,. There is also powdered forms available. You could open the capsules into smoothies if you want. I really think if you take pills in capsule form they should never reach your liver. Once they are in your stomach they are dissolved.

just didn't know, cause you know how they advise against taking to much aspirin or too many other pills, cause its hard on your liver, so i just assumed probiotic pills might be the same way and was a little hesitant about them.

#6 Mrs. Smith

Mrs. Smith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

just didn't know, cause you know how they advise against taking to much aspirin or too many other pills, cause its hard on your liver, so i just assumed probiotic pills might be the same way and was a little hesitant about them.

Thats good. I am the same way. They would do good if your having trouble with digestion.
Gluten free since 01/09
Dairy free since 02/09
Infertility/miscarriage

#7 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

I took align for a few months and had no problems with it. You should take one a day.

Some probiotics are for the small intestine (like acidophilus), some for the large intestine (I believe Align is for the large intestine). As far as I know, they don't have to be broken down through your liver, because the probiotic stays in the intestine, and the only thing that has to be broken down is the capsule, which is usually broken down in the stomach.

It's not like a regular pill that has a lot of 'other' things that have to be broken down.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#8 SalmonNationWoman

SalmonNationWoman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Physiologically, EVERYTHING you eat goes through the liver to be processed. It's called the Hepatic Portal (Veinous) System. ALL return blood flow from the SI, LI, Stomach, Pancreas, Spleen, Liver, all tissues and organs below the diaphragm and contained in the left side of the chest, pass through the HPS on its way back to the Heart before it's circulated as nutrient/ O2 rich blood in the arteries.

Probiotics and their effects don't remain isolated to the intestines. Nutrients, toxins, and pathogens pass through the intestinal wall (villi and crypts). In a healthy SI, only smaller molecules the immune system recognizes as "safe" are allowed to pass into the bloodstream. These molecules go straight to the liver, where enzymatic pathways process them. The difference comes in when you digest a food or supplement that benefits v. burdens your emzymatic pathways. In Celiacs, larger molecules pass through and trigger the immune response, leading to all the auto-immune symptoms. Anything that aids the breakdown of ingestates to the smaller "safe" molecules, like probiotics, relieves the burden on the liver's enzymatic pathways. Conversely, alcohol and many drugs alter the permeability of the crypts and villi and that places greater burden on the liver.

This is a simplified explanation but I think everyone can see how the leaky gut aspects of Celiac are the pivotal concept.

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

Physiologically, EVERYTHING you eat goes through the liver to be processed. It's called the Hepatic Portal (Veinous) System. ALL return blood flow from the SI, LI, Stomach, Pancreas, Spleen, Liver, all tissues and organs below the diaphragm and contained in the left side of the chest, pass through the HPS on its way back to the Heart before it's circulated as nutrient/ O2 rich blood in the arteries.

Probiotics and their effects don't remain isolated to the intestines. Nutrients, toxins, and pathogens pass through the intestinal wall (villi and crypts). In a healthy SI, only smaller molecules the immune system recognizes as "safe" are allowed to pass into the bloodstream. These molecules go straight to the liver, where enzymatic pathways process them. The difference comes in when you digest a food or supplement that benefits v. burdens your emzymatic pathways. In Celiacs, larger molecules pass through and trigger the immune response, leading to all the auto-immune symptoms. Anything that aids the breakdown of ingestates to the smaller "safe" molecules, like probiotics, relieves the burden on the liver's enzymatic pathways. Conversely, alcohol and many drugs alter the permeability of the crypts and villi and that places greater burden on the liver.

This is a simplified explanation but I think everyone can see how the leaky gut aspects of Celiac are the pivotal concept.

Please post your sources so that others can look these things up if they want more information.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

I really like align. Although, I don't know if this is related, but I stopped taking them for 2 months, and my stomach was sick almost every day! It was horrible. I just got back on them again 2 weeks ago, feeling a little more normalized. Don't know if that was the cause, but I definitely feel better when I'm on them.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#11 SalmonNationWoman

SalmonNationWoman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Please post your sources so that others can look these things up if they want more information.

Read Guyton's, Marieb's, Fox's or any other advanced physiology text. You can find them on Amazon.

CORRECTION- I've been dealing with a sinus infection so mental faculties are not as sharp. The HPS (hepatic portal system) receives blood from all the digestive/elimiation and reproductive organs. I erred in including the left side of the chest. It's the left side of lymphatic system that drains everything below the diaphragm and the the left side of the chest, neck and head. Only the right chest, neck and head drains through the right side lymph system. THIS IS NOT THE DETAILED DESCRIPTION.

#12 dzrtrz

dzrtrz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I had a better improvements on Florastor. 

#13 dzrtrz

dzrtrz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Here is a link that says Align is gluten-free:

http://www.glutenfre...and-gut-health/

#14 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

Here is a link that says Align is gluten-free:

http://www.glutenfre...and-gut-health/

dzrtrz,  You have responded to a member who has not been active since May 2009.   The member will not see your post.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#15 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Me too.

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: